Should Pat Kelsey be Xavier's coach???

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
XU2011

Re: Pat Kelsey as Xavier coach???

Postby XU2011 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:22 am

Time may come when we need a new coach either because the one we have now either succeeds or continues on current path. That said I think the program can do better than Winthrop HC...if not the new president needs to look at whether the AD is the right guy. Hiring someone because they have ties here would be very “Cincinnati”, but not necessarily conducive to being a winner on the court/diamond/field.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:24 am

We can do better than a proven coach who went to X and is from Cincy? Who cares if he came from a small school, Steele doesn't even know when to call a timeout of what lineups to go with in crunch time.
oldhoopster

Postby oldhoopster » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:56 pm

Steele didn't miss 9 of the last 10 shots. Steele didn't miss all 11 3's in the second half. And in the end, it was Tandy, Marshall, Freemantle, etc who missed shots. I told my wife that if Scruggs didn't play, it wouldn't surprise me if X lost. They just don't have any shooters. Freemantle had a great offensive game but missed many 3-5 footers. Marshall was 0-8 from three. It may be Steele's fault for not controlling who shoots most and how many threes they take, but this team is just bad offensively. I do wish Steele would, if he's capable, teach a different offense (some offense at all). Never liked Sean or Chris's offensive sets and don't like Steele's. But he doesn't have a lot to work with and next year could be worse.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:40 pm

How about a timeout before letting a frosh PG and smallest player take a terrible shot or running a set play when needed? Teams take on the identity of their coach. Steele given the keys to the Lexus and treated it like a Festiva. Enough excuses. Why do we even have a coach if it is all on the players. Getting out coached by Laito? Ouch
kyzrex

Re: Should Pat Kelsey be Xavier's coach???

Postby kyzrex » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:36 pm

I’ve never understood the fascination that some people have with Kelsey.
#WHYNOTX?
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:09 pm

No. Next?
Theology73

Postby Theology73 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:12 pm

Interesting discussion. A combination of kneejerk reactions and cogent insight. No one would like to see Pat Kelsey come home more than I would, except maybe Mike and Linda Kelsey. Pat helped Mike coach my now 39 year-old son to a CYO championship in grade school. However, Travis Steele deserves to get a full four-year trial. If Scruggs doesn't pull that hamstring, we might have won the last three games instead of losing them. Even so, USA today just released their projection of the 68-team field, and they have X in and seeded 10 facing Colorado. Would that change anyone's opinion?
Mark Twain was wrong. Golf is NOT a good walk spoiled. It is a shared personal experience in a majestic wonderland guided by God, whose name is called frequently during the round.
XU2011

Postby XU2011 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:13 pm

oldhoopster wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:56 pm
Steele didn't miss 9 of the last 10 shots. Steele didn't miss all 11 3's in the second half. And in the end, it was Tandy, Marshall, Freemantle, etc who missed shots. I told my wife that if Scruggs didn't play, it wouldn't surprise me if X lost. They just don't have any shooters. Freemantle had a great offensive game but missed many 3-5 footers. Marshall was 0-8 from three. It may be Steele's fault for not controlling who shoots most and how many threes they take, but this team is just bad offensively. I do wish Steele would, if he's capable, teach a different offense (some offense at all). Never liked Sean or Chris's offensive sets and don't like Steele's. But he doesn't have a lot to work with and next year could be worse.

Good points...
XU2011

Postby XU2011 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:20 pm

Not Kelsey....I don’t think a change is in order...for the sake of banter though... if it was, make a run at Jim Beilein
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:21 pm

oldhoopster wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:56 pm
Steele didn't miss 9 of the last 10 shots. Steele didn't miss all 11 3's in the second half.
Based on this, I have to assume you wouldn't be giving him credit for the win either then correct?
But he doesn't have a lot to work with and next year could be worse.
Based on the rankings by 247, the roster had the highest average ranking for players of any X team ever, and it ain't even that close. If he can't win with this squad, the light at the end of the tunnel must be a 3 watt bulb.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”