No fans at NCAA tourney

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

No fans at NCAA tourney

Postby muskieman » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:27 pm

The sky is falling. Dayton students riot. Xavier closes as does UC and OSU with only 4 reported cases in Ohio. Big East commissioner Val Ackerman addressed coronavirus concerns at the hoops awards ceremony at MSG. Ackerman: "We are moving forward with the tournament as planned." With careful consideration from schools and other sources. Yet the flu this year has killed more so far this year than the Cronan virus.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
tacitus

Re: No fans at NCAA tourney

Postby tacitus » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:15 pm

muskieman wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:27 pm
The sky is falling. Dayton students riot. Xavier closes as does UC and OSU with only 4 reported cases in Ohio. Big East commissioner Val Ackerman addressed coronavirus concerns at the hoops awards ceremony at MSG. Ackerman: "We are moving forward with the tournament as planned." With careful consideration from schools and other sources. Yet the flu this year has killed more so far this year than the Cronan virus.
It is extreme. It is disheartening. It will be surreal. But it is the right decision, from both a legal standpoint and from a public health standpoint.

If what is happening in Italy is any indication, the number of deaths from Coronavirus can start to increase exponentially if extreme measures are not taken to reduce its spread early enough. Over 200 deaths in one day, and most localized in one region.

3.4% > 0.1%

I think we basketball fans can understand percentages...
Let's March!
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:37 pm

muskieman wrote:
Mman,

Please stay in your lane. Your medical specialty is in orthopedics, not epidemiology. I too prefer to watch games with crowds, whether live, or on the 15" plasma TV my friend Michael Scarn gave to me. However, the decision to play without crowds is the right thing to do. The numbers reported so far, are a very small fraction of the number actually infected, which is, or probably will be 100x-1000x times more, since the WHO and CDC says those infected can remain symptom free for a week before presenting. We won't know for a while, however, because we don't even have enough kits to test those showing symptoms. Perhaps arrogantly cutting funding for the CDC was ignorant and short-sighted? This is not a political statement, because even during Obama's administration, they didn't fund the CDC adequately, and dodged a bullet when the few cases of Ebola were quickly contained. My opinion should carry a lot of weight, since I received a medical degree from the prestigious University of Phoenix Medical School branch located in Jamaica.

Also, the flu has been around for hundreds of years, and is a blanket term for a number of bacterial and viral respiratory illnesses, one of which may actually be a mutation of CoV-19. Disclaimer: The past sentence is what I heard on the last Simpsons' episode, where I get most of my information sadly.

Now you've got me worked up before the big game. However, I will throw a fit if they decide to cancel the County Insecticide convention in the summer. I love the smell of Round Up in the morning. There's no harm in doing that.
XU2011

Postby XU2011 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:23 pm

It is either serious...or it’s not. If it’s serious (I.e no spectators). then cancel it an move on...does anyone even remember who won last year?

It’s not...or it would all be shut down immediately...instead we get this CYA nonsense
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:48 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:37 pm
muskieman wrote:
Mman,

Please stay in your lane. Your medical specialty is in orthopedics, not epidemiology. I too prefer to watch games with crowds, whether live, or on the 15" plasma TV my friend Michael Scarn gave to me. However, the decision to play without crowds is the right thing to do. The numbers reported so far, are a very small fraction of the number actually infected, which is, or probably will be 100x-1000x times more, since the WHO and CDC says those infected can remain symptom free for a week before presenting. We won't know for a while, however, because we don't even have enough kits to test those showing symptoms. Perhaps arrogantly cutting funding for the CDC was ignorant and short-sighted? This is not a political statement, because even during Obama's administration, they didn't fund the CDC adequately, and dodged a bullet when the few cases of Ebola were quickly contained. My opinion should carry a lot of weight, since I received a medical degree from the prestigious University of Phoenix Medical School branch located in Jamaica.

Also, the flu has been around for hundreds of years, and is a blanket term for a number of bacterial and viral respiratory illnesses, one of which may actually be a mutation of CoV-19. Disclaimer: The past sentence is what I heard on the last Simpsons' episode, where I get most of my information sadly.

Now you've got me worked up before the big game. However, I will throw a fit if they decide to cancel the County Insecticide convention in the summer. I love the smell of Round Up in the morning. There's no harm in doing that.
Yes, you are not a medical doctor and that U of P degree says not for medical use but unlike you, I have a lot of doctors and nurses as family members so I trust them more than you. The game tonight is with fans so anything about community spreading is already happening, much like that time your case of Infantigo spread to your sister because of close proximity. I know you said she was your bride and it was allowed but your West Virginia license was never signed. Xavier closed its doors but is having a neighborhood conference with a 1000 people expected, so why don't they have classes? And with all this, how does closing X protect the portion of the group that is most susceptible which is people over 65 or with a history of immune problems. BTW the funds to the CDC were not cut, it was proposed but not acted on by Congress.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
XU2011

Postby XU2011 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:53 pm

Ok...it is either serious or not...if it is, just cancel the tournaments and be done. Stop this nonsensical stuff
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:39 am

muskieman wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:48 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:37 pm
muskieman wrote:
Mman,

Yes, you are not a medical doctor and that U of P degree says not for medical use but unlike you, I have a lot of doctors and nurses as family members so I trust them more than you. The game tonight is with fans so anything about community spreading is already happening, much like that time your case of Infantigo spread to your sister because of close proximity. I know you said she was your bride and it was allowed but your West Virginia license was never signed. Xavier closed its doors but is having a neighborhood conference with a 1000 people expected, so why don't they have classes? And with all this, how does closing X protect the portion of the group that is most susceptible which is people over 65 or with a history of immune problems.
BTW the funds to the CDC were not cut, it was proposed but not acted on by Congress.
Correct, I misspoke, but major cuts have been proposed to the CDC’s budget in 21’ by the administration. Hopefully, Congress does the right thing and doesn’t approve the spending cuts. The administration did scale back on funding for the CDC to fight epidemics in hot spots around the world for emerging infectious diseases (ie. Ebola) in places like China and Haiti. Turn the clock back nearly four decades ago years when the Aids epidemic started to appear in the US, and the apathy of the Reagan Administration, who allocated less than half a billion in research. The amount spent in healthcare for people with Aids in the U.S. is now over a trillion dollars and counting. Ya think that strategy was a little short sighted?

BTW, I didn’t get this from Fox News, CNN, Wash Post, or WSJ. I heard it on an NPR podcast. This is again, not a political commentary to favor one party over the other, because quite frankly, I abstained from the last election for president because there couldn’t be two more corrupt, egomaniacal, unlikable, and incompetent people running for office than Trump or Clinton.

I do hope your insinuation that Cov-19 is no more serious than the flu (mortality rate 001%) take ages well. We shall see.
tacitus

Postby tacitus » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:00 am

"And with all this, how does closing X protect the portion of the group that is most susceptible which is people over 65 or with a history of immune problems."

I try not to post after a tough loss, but are you serious? Do you also not understand how vaccines protect people who cannot get vaccinated or people for whom vaccines are not effective due to health issues?

I live in Italy. Schools and universities were shut down here three weeks ago. This is because the younger you are, the less likely you are to exhibit symptoms. (Seems counter intuitive, but only if you refuse to take 30 seconds to read expert findings about this virus.) Even when it is symptomatic, the incubation period is on average between one and two weeks. Outliers are over a month. Viral shedding tends to peak before the onset of symptoms. So infected people are contagious before they know they are sick. Schools and universities are cesspools. If one kid gets it, it spreads very quickly and the kids bring it home. Once community spread starts, there is no choice but to quarantine. 80% of the people who catch it will have mild symptoms at worst. 20% will have symptoms which may require medical attention. This happens when the infection spreads to the lungs. 5% will have life-threatening symptoms. 3.4% die. The mortality rate increases significantly the older you are. But anyone with an illness which may impact the respiratory system is at risk of life-threatening symptoms. If it spreads too quickly in one area, the health care system gets overrun. This is what is happening in Lombardy. The hospitals are full and they do not have enough breathing machines. Doctors are forced to decide which patients they will treat and which patients they comfort as they die. (And don't come back with BS about how the American healthcare system is better. We are talking about Milan, not some third-world country.) When the hospitals are overstrained, the mortality rate shoots up. As of yesterday, 6.6% of confirmed cases have resulted in death in Italy, mostly in Lombardy. 8.4% have fully recovered so far.

The same thing CAN happen in parts of the US if extreme measures are not taken. The US is not testing the way Italy is. If there are now 3 confirmed cases in Ohio, there are certainly 5-10 times more undiagnosed cases. Community spread is inevitable.

If Xavier organized a viewing party for the game, then shame on them! If this was organized by students or alumni, then shame on them!
Let's March!
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:00 am

Tacitus, thanks for the sad update from Italy.
In military terms, the enemy is out there, and oncoming, but we don't know exactly where he will strike. Our intel services have failed us. So, good news, bad news. Our guns are in perfect condition.But we have zero ammunition. So, all we can do is retreat. Load up the trucks, hook up the guns. Rev up the tanks, but they are almost out of fuel. And roll down the road in retreat.
But what about our top General. What's his strategy?
(Sound of an explosion. Then machine gun fire. The message cuts off here)
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:53 am

All it will take is one player to get it and they will have to cancel the whole thing.The odds are there are players who have the virus and don't even know.I feel bad for players but things like this happen .It's only sports.Let's get this thing under control as quickly as possible and try to get back to normal

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”