DePaul Game Thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Musketeer1

Re: DePaul Game Thread

Postby Musketeer1 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:53 am

From February, 2019:

“I understand that at least another season or two of Steele is imminent. I suspect that is the industry standard, absent scandal, and to act more hastily would be perceived to potentially visit more harm on the program's reputation. I also understand that the loss of veteran starters is a big deal. I look at Villanova though, who lost 4 players to the NBA (two unexpectedly) and see that they have progressed throughout the season to remain atop the conference. Jay Wright assessed the team he had early on (taking lumps against Furman and Penn), adapted a style to fit its strengths, and convinced the players (including several freshman) to buy in to his plan for success. Expecting a first-time, first-year head coach to be like Jay Wright is irrational, of course. But that is part of the problem with this hire in the first place. Even assuming Steele may someday have those coaching skills, ought this program suffer while he starts down that long road with his training wheels clanking along? And, if so, where is the promise that better days are coming? I am curious what evidence of future success I am missing in Steele's performance thus far? Selfish tendencies remain for those players who have the AAU flu. The transfers are working desperately to contribute to make this last season of their basketball careers meaningful, yet their scattershot use and indiscernable roles blunt thier contributions. The anointed team leader has regressed. The dozens of turnovers have persisted. These are things any head coach is responsible to improve, whether in his first year, or his twentieth. If Steele is to get more time, I think it reasonable to expect there be some evidence he is up to the task.”

I stand by the above assessment. It is not going to get better. And recruits will start to dry up as well. Success attracts good players. Mediocrity, not so much.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:13 am

Marshall meaning Donnie the announcer
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:26 am

skyhops wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:13 am
Marshall meaning Donnie the announcer
oops. my bad. too many Marshalls. :)
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:42 am

joeabe wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:31 am
Dante Jackson did the post game interview. Steele looked fried at the end of the game. Not a lot of talent along with a rookie coach is not a combo for success. He needs three more years to turn this thing around. Not certain he can but it will take 3 more seasons of recruiting. I don't see us going .500 next couple of years!!
Post season the assistants always do the post game show so don't read anything into that.Steele looked spent though when they showed him with about a minute left in the game.I think the weight of knowing they were squandering their chance at the tournament again.Steele is starting to remind me of the last coach who missed 2 years in a row.great guy,good recruiter but teams under perform on the court.I do feel for him because he had a senior point guard who was a non factor all year.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:47 am

He looks that way every game

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”