Next year question/s?

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Anti-Homer

Re: Next year question/s?

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:17 pm

skyhops wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:01 pm
That is the lineup I thought of too AH. We might get out rebounded by everyone in the big east with that frontline. Carter is going have to step it up next year. I think is fair to say the playing the majority of minutes and getting close to 7 and 5 isn't going to get it. Still don't understand why Ramsey didn't get more time, which would have helped for next year.
I've been a bigger supporter of Carter than most, and while he hit a valley in the middle of the season, I really think we started to see glimpses of a very solid player the last eight games or so. I am also confident Odom will be ready day one, but then again, I thought the same thing about Bishop, based largely by what the coaches were saying. This isn't a shot at them, because even Byron said he has a really nice stroke, and performed well in Spain. We sent Mman there to scout the team out of our modest moderator budget, but he didn't see any games, but came home with a pocket full of bull fighting betting slips. We really need a wing gt and big (unless Miles can contribute 20 effective minutes a game), or to your point, the rebounding advantage we saw all year will be inverted in 21'.

Hops, what's the word on the juniors?
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:28 pm

I just heard that Naji is leaving, but that has been said all season. Not sure about Scruggs and I think he thought he would have a year that would get him drafted. Odom should be an impact player from the start and expect more from Tandy. I've talked to Jennings at Skyhops Jr's baseball game in late summer and he said that Miles is a really good athlete and will be a beast in time. He pretty much said that he would be reshirted.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:54 pm

Agree with AH lineup too. Only possible change is Tandy starts at PG and Odom sits to start the year with Jones or Wilcher at the 3 (more likely Jones. To Hops' point, we will need all 5 to rebound. I also think this team will have to play more zone because I don't know how good they will be on D. For all his basketball IQ issues, Marshall was a lock down defender. Much easier to guard 4 on 4 particularly when the person Marshall was guarding was their best offensive player. Unless Jones truly is a great defender (and it takes time), this team may struggle on D -at least based on the expected returnees. Granted, they will likely improve-lets hope its a lot.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:41 pm

Good point regarding Odom not starting in the beginning, but you would have to think that he is our best ball handler even with Scruggs in the lineup. Just re watched the Zona game from three years ago and it is amazing what shooters/scorers (Blueitt and Mcura) and role players (Bernard) make. Hopefully Steele will wake up and have this next team push the ball and tempo.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:57 pm

Donnie James in the transfer portal, so officially no 2018 recruits. One thing Steele is good at is making recruits leave. James was serviceable and should have been given some of Carters minutes. The rebuild continues
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:07 pm

skyhops wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:57 pm
Donnie James in the transfer portal, so officially no 2018 recruits. One thing Steele is good at is making recruits leave. James was serviceable and should have been given some of Carters minutes. The rebuild continues
He should have never have been recruited and wouldn’t have been if Mack had been able to land any recruits that year. NONE of the players that have left have made an impact anywhere else, so to me it’s pretty obvious that they just weren’t talented enough to play in the BE. Could it be that they all realized that and decided that their future would be brighter elsewhere?
#WHYNOTX?
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:03 am

skyhops wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:28 pm
I just heard that Naji is leaving, but that has been said all season. Not sure about Scruggs and I think he thought he would have a year that would get him drafted. Odom should be an impact player from the start and expect more from Tandy. I've talked to Jennings at Skyhops Jr's baseball game in late summer and he said that Miles is a really good athlete and will be a beast in time. He pretty much said that he would be reshirted.
I can't see Scruggs getting drafted. What makes you think he would make that big of a leap particularly with no Jones inside to take some pressure off the perimeter? College ranks are full of 6/3 or 4 guards who shoot in the 30's pct. from the perimeter.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:10 pm

Why would Marshall leave when he might not get drafted? Most NBA scouts thought last year the Scruggs had more NBA upside than Naji. The one thing I do know is that there are only nine players on the roster and that is a major problem and that is on Steele. We are active in the transfer market, but that has not been a strength the last two years (Caistlin, Moore, and Welage). What makes Steele think he will find a transfer from a mid major that will make more of an impact than James and Bishop? As for Kyzrex comment about no one that has left has made an impact the jury is still out on Bishop, Kennedy, and James (but then again kyzrex never agrees with me). Good luck to Naji and his development in the D league, but we are losing our two top rebounders, defenders, and scorers and we only have nine players. I'll give Steele another year, but I'm beginning to think he is over his head. You can also say that Carter and Q do not have Big East talent based on their stats.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:00 pm

If Naji is given hope that he can be drafted he is gone. I wish we had him for another year but he has to do what is best for him. X will have only 9 scholarship players including the incoming freshmen so I hope the coaches are not just looking for bodies but can add 4-5 guys that will add to the team no just fill a chair. Travis get those video tours of campus ready!
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:38 pm

Is Marshall in a position to be a grad transfer? I saw some speculation of this on another board, but given next year is his 4th years i was surprised he would be graduating that quickly?

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”