Next year question/s?

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
skyhops

Re: Next year question/s?

Postby skyhops » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:18 pm

According the people that I have asked he is not in the position to transfer and has his sights on set on playing professionally. Good question, that would really hurt if transferred.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:20 pm

i've heard the same. My guess is most of the decent juniors and soph. even may declare. Not a lot to lose as you can come back. If the Ncaa does some crazy one time waiver, clear the decks. It will be bball wild west.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:34 pm

Agreed, if I was in there shoes I would as well. I don't believe Naji is testing the waters, he is gone. If he gets drafted it will most likely currently be late second round which is provides not assurance of a spot on a team (he is 23, so he is probably ready to go).
lovedschmidt

Postby lovedschmidt » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:45 pm

I think we will be better without Naji.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:06 pm

lovedschmidt wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:45 pm
I think we will be better without Naji.
If Kenpom's objective ratings are to be believed, you're right. His usage rate was way too high, and efficiency was underwhelming. He made several game tying/winning shots, but one can argue they would not have been needed if he didn't take his combined 8-10 bad shots/turnovers a game. I appreciate Naji's tremendous defense and rebounding, but certainly won't miss his low bball IQ.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:25 pm

X-Expert wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:54 pm
Agree with AH lineup too. Only possible change is Tandy starts at PG and Odom sits to start the year with Jones or Wilcher at the 3 (more likely Jones. To Hops' point, we will need all 5 to rebound. I also think this team will have to play more zone because I don't know how good they will be on D. For all his basketball IQ issues, Marshall was a lock down defender. Much easier to guard 4 on 4 particularly when the person Marshall was guarding was their best offensive player. Unless Jones truly is a great defender (and it takes time), this team may struggle on D -at least based on the expected returnees. Granted, they will likely improve-lets hope its a lot.
X is in real trouble if Tandy starts at pg. I love his scoring ability, but he was timid with the ball, and had some really careless turnovers. He would make Scruggs look like Lonzo Ball, and I really hope Scruggs comes back....as a SG. Playing point hurt his offense.
yellow20xd

Postby yellow20xd » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:45 pm

Tandy was timid with the ball and he did have a lot of careless turnovers... But he only played in about 3/4 of the games... The Big East is an unforgiving league... It's tough to get thrown into the fire... I think the time he got this year will pay big dividend next year... Dan
“Wins go on the mantle. Losses go in your soul."
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:55 pm

yellow20xd wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:45 pm
Tandy was timid with the ball and he did have a lot of careless turnovers... But he only played in about 3/4 of the games... The Big East is an unforgiving league... It's tough to get thrown into the fire... I think the time he got this year will pay big dividend next year... Dan
I think so too, but not as a pg. He was only confident as a downhill dribbler. Whenever the slightest pressure occurred, he'd stop his dribble, no matter where he was on the court, and pass it off. I hope he develops more confidence, but the Covid-19 is costing him and others valuable time to develop.
XavierRunningMan

Postby XavierRunningMan » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:01 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:55 pm
yellow20xd wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:45 pm
I think so too, but not as a pg. He was only confident as a downhill dribbler. Whenever the slightest pressure occurred, he'd stop his dribble, no matter where he was on the court, and pass it off. I hope he develops more confidence, but the Covid-19 is costing him and others valuable time to develop.

Let’s not forget he isn’t a true PG and he got thrown in without ever learning the offense due to injury...

I see Odom stepping in and filling the spot. I personally didn’t mind Scruggs at point (not great), BUT it got him more involved on on offense which is really what we needed.

We will be fine. Even if next season isn’t great the following 2 will be.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:01 pm

skyhops wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:18 pm
According the people that I have asked he is not in the position to transfer and has his sights on set on playing professionally. Good question, that would really hurt if transferred.
i really hope Marshall is gone. I like Naji and thought he did well (especially when attacking the basket) but X did not run an offense especially late in a close game. It as basically Naji come to the top of the key and create. Asking your most selfish player (albeit talented) who shoots 28% from 3 to just create is not an offense. I wish him well but with the grad transfers, i'm more excited than i thought i would be. X will be losing a lot on D but should be gaining on O.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”