Some people want a experienced coach

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Some people want a experienced coach

Postby muskieman » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:31 pm

Rick Pitino is in consideration for Iona's coaching position so would you want him? Would you forget his past problems?
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
X-lucidity

Re: Some people want a experience coach

Postby X-lucidity » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:37 pm

yes.
muskieman

Re: Some people want a experienced coach

Postby muskieman » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:11 pm

Well, he was just hired by Iona.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:22 pm

No. He is a reprobate. He has never acknowledged any responsibilities for the problems at Louisville. X has always tried to have coaches who cared about following the rules and educating the players, most of whom never make it to the pros. I have always been proud of that and still am. Secondly, Travis is our coach and deserves our support as long as he is. When he is no longer our coach, then I would support hiring an experienced successful coach, but I still want one who follows the rules and graduates the players.

I expect some will chirp about Sean Miller when it comes to the rules part. Arizona has not fired him, and Book seems to have been the root of his problems. Hopefully none of that was at X. Frankly, I don't think X was at the level that the shoe companies would want to funnel top recruits our way, and there weren't any either.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
JKC74

Postby JKC74 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:01 pm

Pitino got the job at Iona College because he has friends there. Just like in the real world: You gotta a friend in the business?? You get a job. Iona is run by the Irish Christian Brothers, hopefully they will watch him like a hawk much like they did us all thru High School.
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:19 pm

JKC74 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:01 pm
Pitino got the job at Iona College because he has friends there. Just like in the real world: You gotta a friend in the business?? You get a job. Iona is run by the Irish Christian Brothers, hopefully they will watch him like a hawk much like they did us all thru High School.
Good friends of a Brother in the Edmund Rice Christian Brother Network. My son and I are grads of an ERCBN High School and guessing you are, too.

The Brother is very disappointed in the hire, as am I. Hiring such a scoundrel atypical for the Order. The HS Basketball Coach at my alma mater is young and pure class.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:12 pm

Speaking of coaching hires, this will have an impact on our friends up north. Guys a top flight recruiter:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... nson-coach
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:38 pm

thecoach wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:12 pm
Speaking of coaching hires, this will have an impact on our friends up north. Guys a top flight recruiter:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... nson-coach
Wojo,

Like many other coaches, has shown it takes more than good recruiting to have a winning program. And before anyone says it, shame on you for even thinking I'm implying this applies to my coach TS. Though results have been mixed, it's way too early to tell, though I've always advocated and still feel he needs a veteran bench coach with WINNING experience (and with all due respect, S Ala doesn't qualify for obvious reasons).

Preference goes to coaches who can think out of the box, like not playing 3 bigs at the same time the majority of the game, requiring one to chase and stay in front of quick, 6'3" shooting guards. Odd how no other coach in the BE, and very few in the country employ this lineup.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”