NCAA Bracket (make believe)

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
joeabe

NCAA Bracket (make believe)

Postby joeabe » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:06 pm

Local newspaper nola.com today made their own selections......Probably because LSU would have been in this year. Have 7 teams from the BE in the tourney....Xu was like a 10 or 11 seed. What you say???
gym from delhi

Re: NCAA Bracket (make believe)

Postby gym from delhi » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:57 pm

Too generous Joe, I don't think X would have made it. The pressure on the NCAA to release what would have been is ridiculous
SC in DC

Postby SC in DC » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:16 pm

Unfortunately the Charlotte paper had us as the first of the first four out! Bummer!
SC in DC

Postby SC in DC » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:50 pm

gym from delhi

Postby gym from delhi » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:05 pm

No doubt DeCourcy was one who downgraded X and upgraded U C; he couldn't slobber enough over the Bearcats and Huggins when he lived here
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:47 pm

Hey, it says NCAA Brackets (Make believe) I have X as an 11 seed beating 4th seed Penn State in the East and then Beating 3rd seed Duke in a thrilling 65-60 game where Jones has his first 25-25 double-double... In the sweet 16, X gets revenge on 2nd Seed Fl St in OT with the game-winning shot from KyKy which leads us to the elite 8 where X finally gets a win over Butler in a thrilling double OT game where both Naji and Scruggs foul out and D James hits a tree with 2 seconds left for the game-winner. The final four is made up of Xavier, Nova, Seton Hall and Louisville. X squares off with Louisville and after a hard-fought first half X hold a 1 point lead on the shooting of Jason Carter and Pau Scruggs. As the second half begins Louisville goes on a ten to nothing scoring spree and leads X by 9 with 15 minutes to go. After a media timeout, X pretty much trades baskets for 5 minutes and found itself behind 10 with ten to go. Louisville extends its lead in the next 3 minutes to 15 but X goes on a 22-1 spree behind the shooting of Naji and Scruggs giving back the lead to X in the last 4 minutes of the game X holds Louisville to 8 points and takes a 15 point lead with 2 minutes to go when X sends in the walkons and 2nd stringers. Surprised that Louisville throws on a full-court press a timeout is called and Travis inserts Q to secure the ball and X ends up with an 18 point win. Chris Mack, coach of U of L in a post-game interview says X was the toughest team he played that year. The final game was Nova vs X as Nova beat Seton Hall in a 3 OT game by the score of 120-108.

That Monday game was attended by many X luminaries and a few of their long time cynical fans, who know who they are. Starting line up is Jones, Freemantle, Marshall, Scruggs, and Q. The game began with the tip going to X. The first score came on a drive-by Q and a pass out to Paul for a three. X surprises Nova with a press and Nova throws the ball in haste to Scruggs who scores again making the score 5-0. After several trips down the floor, nova has only 3 points and 3 TOs which X has turned into 6 points. Score 11-3 and a media time out is called. After the timeout is called Nova goes on a 6 point run and the score stands at 11-9. In turn, Carter is inserted into the lineup and so is Kyky and bot provide immediate results as both hit 3 pointers and 2 points while Nova scores 5 points which increases the lead to 21-14. After that, the team traded baskets until the score is 31-24 but with 24 seconds left nova is holding for the last sot Q strips the ball from Gillespie and races for the basket for a thunderous dunk to end the half with X up 33-24. During the half AH gets on the Musketeer Madness board and extolls the virtue of Travis Steele and the team's offense and defensive prowess. Skyhops warns AH of a possible second-half swoon because Jay Wright is the best coach in basketball. They both get into a big argument until oldsingledigit reminds them the game was restating. As the second half begins the X men go on a 10-0 run, which leads skyhops to brag that he told AH so, as Nova takes the lead back by 1 or 34-33 but X follows with a 10-0 run of their own to put X back up by nine. 43-34. With 13 minutes to go both teams become stingy defensively and no one was able to score but then Nova went on a five-point run and closed the game to 43-39. Both teams heated up and in the next 10 minutes, the score ballooned to 63-60 with Nova in the lead. The final 3 minutes was a score and foul show with X down by 3 with 8 seconds on the clock and nova with the ball Q intentionally fouled Bey to send him to the line for 2 shots. Bey being a 73% shooter from the line proceeded to miss both shots and the ball rebounded by Jones who outleted to Q who raced the ball up the floor for a quick 2 point play and was fouled sending him to the line with 4 seconds left and X down 1. Q missed the shot but it was rebounded by Jones who rose to take a shot from 6 feet away that missed but was put back dunk from Freemantle as the time ran out. The officials went to review the shot and after 5 minutes declared that the shot which Freemantle dunk was good giving X the win by 1 and their first national championship game and blowing up Musketeer Madness. Travis was interviewed and said that the season had its ups and downs with many a heartache but that this game proves that X has what it takes to be champions with their never say die attitude. The defensive player of the game was Q who held Nova's leading scorer to 9 points and the MVP was Jones who had a double-double of 18 points and 30 rebounds. Both Scruggs and Naji said they would return next year meanwhile over on MM, AH and skyhops were complaining that Naji took too many threes and Q didn't shoot enough twos even though he went 3-4 from the three and 1-2 from the 2 with 10 assists. AH spend a lot of time discussing that we should have gone to a zone when Nova went on a run until Xavier2005 corrected him telling AH that X had a 2-3 zone and a 1-3-1 one during the runs which lead AH to claim "why didn't TS go to a man to man. The board as a whole gave a sigh and proceeded to the hot stove of the summer calling themselves national champions and speculating on what the incoming players would bring and why hasn't anyone committed for the next year yet.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:28 pm

Inspired work of imagination sir. Liked all the back-chatter on this board. But what were they saying on XavierHoops? And, well maybe Jim Hoff and Gary G. were seen in the crowd, cheering big time. Yeah. Maybe.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:59 pm

edgecliff hall wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:28 pm
Inspired work of imagination sir. Liked all the back-chatter on this board. But what were they saying on XavierHoops? And, well maybe Jim Hoff and Gary G. were seen in the crowd, cheering big time. Yeah. Maybe.
Gary was at the X end sitting on the backboard messaging on MM that he had the best sit in the house while Fr Hoff as on the Nova backboard, saying excuse me each time his foot deflected a shot. AH was complaining that Hoff didn't do enough deflecting.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:11 pm

Right on, MM!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”