Coach Biles

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
joeabe

Coach Biles

Postby joeabe » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:46 pm

You old goats remember Eddie Biles Xavier Head Football coach!! He's in a Houston Hospital with some type of cancer. He's been in for a month getting treatment. Say a prayer he's a good man!! He was my coach my first 2 years at Xavier. He then went on to the NFL with the Saints then to the Houston Oilers as Defensive coordinator under Bum Phillips. He replaced Bum as the HC of the Oilers. Our program crashed and burned after he left. I believe he saw it coming!! The school had cut back on the number of scholarships . My freshman class only had 16 scholarship players!! Wished they would have kept it as did Dayton. Do y'all think we should have retained football?
edgecliff hall

Re: Coach Biles

Postby edgecliff hall » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:29 am

I recall Xavier had a Club Football Team in recent years, but have heard nothing of it lately. Some of my best friends and roomates at Xavier were football players. And one of them became President of Xavier for a short time. Mike, are you still out there?
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:52 pm

edgecliff hall wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:29 am
I recall Xavier had a Club Football Team in recent years, but have heard nothing of it lately. Some of my best friends and roomates at Xavier were football players. And one of them became President of Xavier for a short time. Mike, are you still out there?
are you talking about Mike Conaton?
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
JKC74

Postby JKC74 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:19 pm

Yes XU should definitely made some kind of effort to save the football program at some level. We were not the only small private school having some financial difficulty in maintaining the sport. Villanova dropped it for a few years but manged to bring it back also Holy Cross College. Sorrowfully XU hired Robert Mulligan S.J. who was instrumental in the decision to drop football just as he oversaw the complete and total decline in Loyola (Chi) athletics during his time there. As one who had the privilege and pleasure of being a student broadcaster at WVXU-FM I will always remember the fun that my partner and I had doing the football and basketball games from 70-74 especially the first home game for Marshall after the terrible tragedy and the home basketball game against Marquette in 1971 riding a 36 game winning streak. We had em on the ropes for a half!!
Alpalpa

Postby Alpalpa » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:51 pm

At the time, the city of Cincinnati condemned the stadium. It was falling apart. Chunks of concrete falling on fans. It would have cost quite a few million dollars to replace it. The student body numbered around 1200 and there was a war going on that was absorbing anything that would have gone toward federal aid to build a new one. Passing the cost on to a student body in tuition or alumni contributions would not have worked very well.
The athletic committee, headed by Bill Daily, decided to focus on one sport and do what it took to get Xavier to the national spotlight. Basketball brought the greatest return with the least amount of expense.
Once that decision was made, the next step was to hire a good coach and get a program headed in a focused direction. The only way to get to the national spotlight was to get to the NCAA’s, and that required winning a league championship when you were as lowly as Xavier. So they formed their own league, the MCC. That got them on TV. That got them recruits. That made them better. That brought them to better leagues. That brought them to where we are.
That’s why we dropped football.
JTG

Postby JTG » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:08 pm

Alpalpa wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:51 pm
At the time, the city of Cincinnati condemned the stadium. It was falling apart. Chunks of concrete falling on fans. It would have cost quite a few million dollars to replace it. The student body numbered around 1200 and there was a war going on that was absorbing anything that would have gone toward federal aid to build a new one. Passing the cost on to a student body in tuition or alumni contributions would not have worked very well.
The athletic committee, headed by Bill Daily, decided to focus on one sport and do what it took to get Xavier to the national spotlight. Basketball brought the greatest return with the least amount of expense.
Once that decision was made, the next step was to hire a good coach and get a program headed in a focused direction. The only way to get to the national spotlight was to get to the NCAA’s, and that required winning a league championship when you were as lowly as Xavier. So they formed their own league, the MCC. That got them on TV. That got them recruits. That made them better. That brought them to better leagues. That brought them to where we are.
The last season was actually 72. The stadium was not yet condemned. Student pop was 2000, plus 1000 in the night school. Fr Mulligan was Pres, and had no use for athletics, especially football. He oversaw ending football in Dec of 72.In fact the school nearly folded during his tenure. The stadium was condemned years later. It wasnt until 79 that X got serious about bball, formed the MCC, and the rest is history. Football had been long gone. Was it shortsighted? Yes. But bball may have never become what it is today. I still miss it. I always wonder how all these tiny 1000 student schools still field a football team to this day.
JKC74

Postby JKC74 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:18 am

The final season was 1973. We were 5-5-1 under Tom Cecchini. The stadium was falling apart but chunks of concrete falling on fans heads?? I seriously doubt that. I spent a lot of time around the program, never heard that story. The worst part of the discontinuation was that as soon as it was made public at least 50 college programs recruiters descended on Xavier to pick the bones clean.
76retired

Postby 76retired » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:56 am

The last season had a brutal road schedule to make guaranteed money. Lost 77-7 at Southern Illinois. I remember Dr. Jansen passing around a flask on the sidelines. The tie was against Dayton. Only player I recall transferring was Jack Hoffman to Indiana.
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:01 pm

Fr Mulligan asked my brother if he could come to NOLA and meet at Brennan's Rest. for dinner. He came , they met and asked if Danny would head up a drive to raise money to keep fb at XU. Danny agreed told father he would get some NFL stars to volunteer to come with him for a huge fund raiser kick off. 2 days later the news broke about XU cancelling fb. My brother never ever heard from father!!
Irv Etler succeeded Coach Biles with little success. Then Dick Selcer succeeded Irv and brought young assistant coaches with him. Tom Cicchinni a recent all big ten lb at Michigan and Jim Coletto UCLA star who later became HC at Purdue and OC at Ohio St and ND. Can you tell I'm bored?? LOL
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:57 pm

JTG wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:08 pm
Alpalpa wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:51 pm
The last season was actually 72. The stadium was not yet condemned. Student pop was 2000, plus 1000 in the night school. Fr Mulligan was Pres, and had no use for athletics, especially football. He oversaw ending football in Dec of 72.In fact the school nearly folded during his tenure. The stadium was condemned years later. It wasnt until 79 that X got serious about bball, formed the MCC, and the rest is history. Football had been long gone. Was it shortsighted? Yes. But bball may have never become what it is today. I still miss it. I always wonder how all these tiny 1000 student schools still field a football team to this day.
My thoughts too. Basketball would have gone the way of football. We made the right decision to drop football. We are simply not in that league and would never have continued to be.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”