D James gone

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

D James gone

Postby muskieman » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:19 pm

Dontarius James wanted the opportunity to play basketball. The last remaining member of Xavier's Class of 2018 - has entered the transfer portal
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskieman

Re: D James gone

Postby muskieman » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:21 pm

Opening for a transfer. Hope he has Hankins type talent
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:34 pm

I'm beginning to have little or no faith in Steele. James was a good rebounder and shooter and should have been getting some of Carters minutes similar to the issue with Bishop. The chance of Steele recruiting a serviceable transfer is slim to none (see Bryce Moore). If the last two years were rebuilding than James should have seen more minutes especially considering Carters inconsistent play. Future recruits are going not going to want to play for a coach that chases out as players. This is not a good sign.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:07 pm

Ditto what ‘Hops wrote, could not have said it better. Somebody help me please:
a) is there any legal maneuver within the realm of NCAA by-laws that would allow X to petition for a redshirt season for Ramsey?
b) is Ramsey fairly content with the prospect of returning or will he consider a greener pasture given Steele’s apparent inability to find him even 26 seconds a gm?
Thx
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:13 pm

skyhops wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:34 pm
I'm beginning to have little or no faith in Steele. James was a good rebounder and shooter and should have been getting some of Carters minutes similar to the issue with Bishop. The chance of Steele recruiting a serviceable transfer is slim to none (see Bryce Moore). If the last two years were rebuilding than James should have seen more minutes especially considering Carters inconsistent play. Future recruits are going not going to want to play for a coach that chases out as players. This is not a good sign.
I was surprised he stayed a second year. He had some talent and I wish he would have stayed much like Dahmir Bishop. Ramsey and Miles will have to be impacting. Xavier is looking into Ramsey's redshirt because of injury. It has happened in the past
Thor in 204

Postby Thor in 204 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:53 pm

Will we ever see another Xavier player evolve like BJ Raymond or James Farr, or Jason Love, or others?
I don’t know if Dontarius had the fire in him like those players, to keep getting better, but it looked to me like he had improved. Dahmir Bishop was homesick, apparently happy to land at St. Joe’s, but Dontarius stuck it out.
Is it a good bet that he knows more than we do about who’s coming in for next season? Or does he feel he’s hit his ceiling? If the latter especially is true, then he’s made the right move.
I fully accept that the coaches know more than me about potential, but from what I saw I thought he could continue to improve.
I hope he enjoys his next team and makes it to the NCAA tournament.
Lead Guitar

Postby Lead Guitar » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:14 am

James appeared to have a Big East body and we were told he had a good shooting touch. Unfortunately, you could tell his confidence in his shooting appeared to be lacking. When he did play, he was in to take minutes because of foul trouble or injuries. He did not want to make a mistake, so he did not attempt to do anything more then get rebounds and pass the ball to someone else. Like many out there, I think he could be a significant contributor but probably not an impact player.

I don’t understand why more of these slower to reach potential players, don’t redshirt at their present school even between sophomore and junior years in order to get stronger and continue to learn the system. James will have to sit out at his next school. Redshirt at X, get another year of school and enter the junior year of eligibility a better player. If it still does not work for him, he can be a grad transfer and be eligible right away the following year.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:57 am

I am not close to the recruiting process. Did Steele recruit James or Harden while he was an assistant?
jamestrammel

Postby jamestrammel » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:01 pm

Someone please enlighten me on when and where DJ showed potential or made a big play. He did have 1 game this year where he wasn't guarded and made some open shots. DJ clearly didn't perform better than Carter in practice or he would have been playing. He never showed to be a good shooter. Check the stats. So why is it Steele's fault he didn't get playing time? Can someone tell me who is the last player to transfer out of the system and then developed into a star at another program? Anyone? Our coaches know what they're doing. They know how to evaluate talent.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:34 pm

You have to question our coaches when we only have nine players currently. Please don't tell me we can rely on transfers because our last few did not work out (besides Hankins).

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”