Land new transfer

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
skyhops

Re: Land new transfer

Postby skyhops » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:14 pm

Hanky was legit he just didn’t get offers because of injuries. I think Steele is in over his head.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:28 pm

skyhops wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:14 pm
Hanky was legit he just didn’t get offers because of injuries. I think Steele is in over his head.
i'm not willing to go down that road yet. a healthy Scruggs would have given a completely different perspective to this team at the end of the year and moving forward to this year. Steele has a track record for recruiting D2 bigs that have worked out nicely, i.e., Hankins (yes, small sample size but he's 1 for 1 on those)

minus Scruggs next year, EVERY guy should be a "Steele" guy, correct? Are there any more Mack layovers?

let's see how he handles next year before we make that presumption.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:01 pm

Agreed.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:15 pm

Just finished running BG thru a 30 minute workout via Face Time, and I likes this pickup. I likes it alot. I also like the fact that he was 6'6" 290 coming out of high school. That's probably the biggest reason he ended up playing DII. He had really gaudy numbers in 2019: 20 pts, and 15 boards a game. That's impressive regardless of the level. Unless it's D3 of course.

I'm not going to suggest at all that he'll be able to fill the void of Jones, but he is a more versatile offensive player. Decent handle, and he can step out to the three point line. His shooting form is very good as well. He's also mobile, and seems to have better length than TY. I also think he will be a shot blocking presence. People forget, that before Hankins, X had decent success with another D2 recruit a decade ago, who only had decent numbers as a DIi player: Andrew Taylor. Very cerebral player who played big in some big games, especially against Baylor (?), I believe in the tourney, and also played good minutes against KSU. There aren't five coaches who have done a better recruiting job in the NCAA's given the circumstances than Steele in the last two years.

I hope, and am optimistic his coaching acumen catches up.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:28 pm

I trust your scout here AH, nice pick up seems and gives us a nice 5 player rotation for the 4/5 slots. Could even play “big” at times with Carter at the “3”. We all agree, Steele and staff need to pick up their game RE development and game mgt.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:44 pm

X-lucidity wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:28 pm
I trust your scout here AH, nice pick up seems and gives us a nice 5 player rotation for the 4/5 slots. Could even play “big” at times with Carter at the “3”. We all agree, Steele and staff need to pick up their game RE development and game mgt.
One more thing: Once he entered the portal 3 weeks ago, he was contacted by over 90 schools, including 40+ D-1. Obviously, we don't know the list, but I'm fairly confident the list would be considerably better than those who went after Taylor, and possibly Bernard, two players I liked very much for how hard they played, even if they turned out to be busts (which they weren't).

The takeaway: Sleep well tonight Muskie fans. Both transfers have AH's seal of approval.
Lead Guitar

Postby Lead Guitar » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:02 pm

I think most of us realize grad transfers are either under recruited high schoolers that went to mid majors or below, that developed and averaged 15 pts a game and wanted to see what they can do at a higher level, or a highly recruited high schooler who went to Kansas or Duke or similar and ended up on the bench for three years. Both normally end up as very good role players and contributors, but rarely high impact stars for their one year. The stars/impact typically come from the players that play four years (or less) on the same team and same system. Regular, sit out transfers, could be the exception. They transfer due to coaching changes, home sickness, or personality conflicts.

My hope is Steele will fill two of the three remaining spots with true, sit out, one year transfers and leave one open.

We have had two good recruiting years in a row. We can just fill in a need or two over the next two years.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:13 pm

Rivals has an article up on their site where the effectiveness of transfers into high major programs is discussed. The writers are pretty much in agreement that they usually don’t have a big impact. Although they point out that Texas Tech almost won a national championship while getting great contributions from a couple of grad transfers, that is not the norm.

I do believe that Xavier won’t be relying on the transfers to have a major impact, but that they will be relying on them to be solid contributors and to support the more experienced returners. However, if they are able to become key players for a very successful team, I don’t think anyone will complain.
#WHYNOTX?
XavierRunningMan

Postby XavierRunningMan » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:49 pm

Give Steele some time! Mack didn’t have a great start either when our entire offense was running the ball around the wing and giving it to Semaj to shoot.

Steele has had two INCREDIBLE recruiting classes. (2 recruits didn’t get to play this past season)

LET THE MAN DO HIS JOB! He, like Mack, will go down as great coaches.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:05 pm

Does the D2 kid have one year of eligibility left? I heard a newscaster say it was 2, but i don't think it was correct. Hard to tell with the schedule he's played on him. He could be fine, or he could be in over his head. We'll see.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”