HBO doc The Scheme

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
jack66

HBO doc The Scheme

Postby jack66 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:02 pm

Anyone think Sean Miller crossed the line or paid players when he was at X?
sweet67

Re: HBO doc The Scheme

Postby sweet67 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:50 pm

jack66 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:02 pm
Absolutely
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:06 pm

Most coaches do
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:19 pm

Not hazarding to speculate on the question itself. That said, Coach Miller came off very poorly in The Scheme.

Of course, that does not come as a surprise. His friendship with Snake Calipari speaks volumes. Somewhere along the line, Coach Miller took a wrong turn.

Admittedly, I am old school. Seem to recall he once apologized to his Mom for clearly using a certain word. In one of the FBI wire taps, that same utterance was every third or fourth word. How shallow and that demonstrated he went far afield. Coach Miller always wanted to win in the worst way ... he did obviously took that worst way track in his Arizona Lexus.
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:43 pm

Times have changed regarding recruiting! Schools are making huge sums of money with their basketball programs not like in the past. Do you believe they pay coaches what they do just because they want to? NOT......It always comes down to the money. These coaches have huge amounts of pressure to produce winners. The money from winning is huge....can support all non revenue sports annually. (UC just dropped soccer because they did not get the revenue from the BB tourney this year) The shoe companies as well as well healed alumni fund $$$ for coaches to recruit sufficient talent to keep the stream producing. Personally I believe the kids should be paid under this scenario. In reality I wish it were pure college athletics, scholastics first and the scholarship meant something. It was huge and meant a way out for most kids. So, the value was in the education from a great university which led to a way out of poverty or blue collar work. Most of that has changed at least for the super stars (5 star and some 4 stars).
Do you all agree or is this all BS??? I am I suppose a little naive and want to believe the system is pure and old school. FYI just read where Pitino sold his Florida home for $17,000,000!!!!
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:23 am

joeabe wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:43 pm
Times have changed regarding recruiting! Schools are making huge sums of money with their basketball programs not like in the past. Do you believe they pay coaches what they do just because they want to? NOT......It always comes down to the money. These coaches have huge amounts of pressure to produce winners. The money from winning is huge....can support all non revenue sports annually. (UC just dropped soccer because they did not get the revenue from the BB tourney this year) The shoe companies as well as well healed alumni fund $$$ for coaches to recruit sufficient talent to keep the stream producing. Personally I believe the kids should be paid under this scenario. In reality I wish it were pure college athletics, scholastics first and the scholarship meant something. It was huge and meant a way out for most kids. So, the value was in the education from a great university which led to a way out of poverty or blue collar work. Most of that has changed at least for the super stars (5 star and some 4 stars).
Do you all agree or is this all BS??? I am I suppose a little naive and want to believe the system is pure and old school. FYI just read where Pitino sold his Florida home for $17,000,000!!!!
Only aspect on your comments I question is paying the athletes. While that is put forth as the way to address the issue, or provide some form of “equity,” it will only exacerbate the problem.

Will there be a pay scale? Or, open bidding? How would the dollars be determined? And, once the compensation starts, it would not stop increased under the table money.

Should other athletes in non-revenue sports be paid? Would there be litigation if non-revenue sports are not paid? Will other non-revenue sports be dropped as payments eat into the Athletic Department budgets?

You aptly point out real problems. Guess I am concerned that proposed cure (pay) would end up being worse than the disease.

Indeed, the issue you brought forth regarding Coaches pay is at the core of the problem. Would love to have a cap on those salaries (contracts). Suppose that might be a restraint of trade issue and not doable.

I have long had a mantra ... “TV changes everything it covers and ultimately not for the better.” Hence, NCAA Basketball, which we truly enjoy, has commensurately changed and rewarded some unethical activity.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:11 pm

sweet67 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:50 pm
jack66 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:02 pm
Absolutely
Sweet, Don't you have a remedial grammar course to complete before coming to a board who graduates players?
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:14 pm

ChitownSteve wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:23 am
joeabe wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:43 pm
Only aspect on your comments I question is paying the athletes. While that is put forth as the way to address the issue, or provide some form of “equity,” it will only exacerbate the problem.

Will there be a pay scale? Or, open bidding? How would the dollars be determined? And, once the compensation starts, it would not stop increased under the table money.

Should other athletes in non-revenue sports be paid? Would there be litigation if non-revenue sports are not paid? Will other non-revenue sports be dropped as payments eat into the Athletic Department budgets?

You aptly point out real problems. Guess I am concerned that proposed cure (pay) would end up being worse than the disease.

Indeed, the issue you brought forth regarding Coaches pay is at the core of the problem. Would love to have a cap on those salaries (contracts). Suppose that might be a restraint of trade issue and not doable.

I have long had a mantra ... “TV changes everything it covers and ultimately not for the better.” Hence, NCAA Basketball, which we truly enjoy, has commensurately changed and rewarded some unethical activity.
No doubt Miller took a left turn after leaving X. We saw that for a decade plus in Clifton with the numerous academic infractions, criminal misconduct, and zero grad rate seen when Huggins rolled, I mean roamed the sidelines. That's why they'll forever be known as UNLV East. Well done.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”