Purdue's 7 foot 2 inch center to transfer

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
kyzrex
Posts: 1646
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:35 am
Contact:

Re: Purdue's 7 foot 2 inch center to transfer

Postby kyzrex » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:31 am

It doesn’t bother me that you are critical of Steele. What bothers me is that virtually every thread you post to turns into a way to bash him. Give it a rest, won’t ya? We all get that you don’t like him and are pissed off by how the team has performed the last 2 years. But your constant harping about him on EVERY thread and in almost every post you make...wow. It’s gotten to a point where I believe that if we had a conversation going on about women’s tennis that you’d find a way to blame him for them not making the NCAA tourney every year.

By the way, I never said that this guy was coming to X. But I also never used that as an excuse to bash someone else that IS coming to X.
#WHYNOTX?
longliveskip
Posts: 1152
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Purdue's 7 foot 2 inch center to transfer

Postby longliveskip » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:43 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:19 pm
longliveskip wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:06 am
Anti-Homer wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:30 pm


Seriously?

X has two guys who will play at least 25-30 min a game next year in the 4-5 spots in Carter and Free. I know Carter will also play some minutes at the 3 position in the wildly successful three big lineup as well, which teams like Creighton, Nova, and Butler will have no complaints about. They also have two other post players in Miles and Ramsey who will be itching to play because they didn't the year prior. Then, they bring in a GT transfer (which I understood, since Ramsey's health is in question, despite Steele prognosticating from game 10 on or so that he would be playing very soon) who didn't come unless he had great confidence he would see meaningful minutes.

You really believe it doesn't cause any distress with the bigs that they brought in one GT big already, and now are seeking another? The fact that they are wooing Harrms, whether they get him or not, sends a messages that they have concerns about their current front court. My nephew told me X backed off of the stud guard from Radford who committed to L-Ville to placate Tandy and Odom. Now this. Steele has shown to be tone deaf at times, and it is on full display here.
ya know what? i am so TIRED of hearing how we need to "baby" these guys, because that's basically what you are saying, that the coach can't go bring in a guy for a year because he may "compete" for someone else's minutes? if a kid can't handle having to compete for a year against someone to EARN their minutes, well then, how mentally tough are they, really?

if i'm a player and the coach comes to me and says "we got a guy that makes our team BETTER.", well then, pardon me, but so the $%&$ what if he takes a few of my minutes, makes me work harder in practice, and in the end, makes me a better player. if our guys in that lockerroom can't see that then that's their issue.

Steele isn't tone deaf. the PLAYERS are if they can't see that the coach is doing everything he can to make the team as GOOD as it can be for next season. work you a$$ off in the off-season. get BETTER than the guys that you're competing against for minutes. that should be the mantra and if they all buy into that, the team should be fine.
Got it. So I have to assume that you'd also think Steele would have no issue if Christoper said, "You know what, i don't like the fact that you play three bigs against teams who have multiple, quicker players. Also, stop this AAU style offense of giving the ball to your worst shooter and most turnover player to run the offense. I mean, the results on the court in his 1st two years hardly instills confidence that this team is on a great trajectory (not that is it on a bad one), so I assume this discussion will be had sometime in the middle-end of his third year if this team is once again mired in NIT territory.

I don't think what you suggest is reality in the landscape of recruiting high caliber players (HCBs). The main reasons HCBs go to a school like X is to have a chance to play more than garbage time minutes (as X mainly brings in 4 stars), develop for the NBA (which is delusional for 90%, but it happens at every school), play in the tourney, improve their skill set, and to not give up on the 17 games into their first year (zero in the case of Ramsey and Miles).

It's been reported that UK wanted Tandy, but his dad turned off Calipari by stating to the press that his son wasn't going to a school with a pg on the roster, and possibly one more they were recruiting in addition to Kyky. X also took Odia instead of Lowery. Why didn't they just take both pgs? Because neither wanted to compete with another high caliber player at the same position if he could have a greater chance of starting elsewhere. X also didn't take Cumberland, because they had JP and Bluiett. Was Mack babying them too? Cumberland's' 1st choice was X.

The revolving door with players at X in Steele's 1st two years doesn't scream stability. Perhaps a way to mitigate this is to not show interest in every GT who has at least two letters in his name. When the product put on the floor at Cintas starts to resemble what we've seen in the almost two decades prior to Steele's arrival, then he will earn more rope. For now, 18 inches is about all I've give him. However, as always, AH will end on a positive note. The dude can recruit.
as i stated - showing interest is not the same as ACTUALLY bringing a guy in. we didn't even make Haarms list of top 20 schools so just because we "reached out" or "showed interest", it should have ZERO affect on the mentality of our present players. if anything, as i said, it should make them want to work harder. i assume they realize that Coach Steele will be recruiting more guys for NEXT season as well? ya know, in the hopes that they compete with the guys on the team now and push them for minutes as well? shouldn't that be the case EVERY season? to bring in guys that you think make the team BETTER and that should make guys WANT to get better and EARN their minutes? you would hope so.
longliveskip
Posts: 1152
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Purdue's 7 foot 2 inch center to transfer

Postby longliveskip » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:47 am

skyhops wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:00 pm
Do I think that what I say has anything to do with Steele’s employment? You mean he doesn’t read Musketeer Madness? I know you have to disagree with me on everything and be a Steele jock sniffer, so I’ll just leave it be. I do think it is an issue when we have so many scholarships they have to get a D2 transfer all the while never really giving a player like James go, who was actually a valued recruit. Maybe Steele will grow a pair this year and not let the inmates run the asylum.
Mack got us to multiple second weekends of the tourney doing just this (at least, according to all the knowledge on this site, I mean)
Anti-Homer
Posts: 5607
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Purdue's 7 foot 2 inch center to transfer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:26 am

kyzrex wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:50 pm
skyhops wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:09 pm
Get used to the revolving door? I won’t get used to that and others shouldn’t.

Steele can’t keep players, yet we are supposed to get used to getting a D2 transfer from a team that won 5 games?


I’m giving Steele this year but if after three years of no tourney and mediocrity it’s time to pull the plug.
Your wasting your time if you refuse to see that college players transferring MORE and MORE often is going to happen. There are 345 D1 schools and almost 1000 D1 transfers...that’s about 3 PER SCHOOL on average...last year and this year. No reason to believe that is going to slow down just because you don’t like it. You keep blaming Steele for not keeping players. News Flash....it is a problem EVERYWHERE! And when they make it allowable for ALL players to transfer 1X during their career, without having to sit out a year, it’s going to be even more prevalent.

If he brought in a backup from a team that won 25 games, would you feel better? If a kid can play, he can play. Can’t judge a player only by how good the team he plays on does. Been lots of great players that had the bad fortune to play on terrible teams that lost a lot of games. Doesn’t make them any less great. Also there have been a lot of mediocre players that had the fortune to play on teams that won a lot of games, with them not contributing much. Why not give him a chance to prove he can play?

Do you really believe that anything you say or do makes one bit of difference in his employment status? You’re “giving Steele this year”? How kind of you (sarcasm). Like anything you, or I, or anyone here says or does will determine if he is coaching after next year.
I know that transfers are increasing more and more every year, but I think the exodus is seen more frequently from lower tier schools, from players who want to play for teams who play in better leagues, are on TV more often, and make the tourney more frequently. The IVY League seems to have the highest turnover rate for some reason. The others are due largely to a change in coaching, and anomalies like the bizarre situation occurring at Wichita St.

I'd be curious to see how X's transfer rate compares to the other schools in the BE , with the exception of Gtown, where players faced disciplinary issues, and were forced off the team for the most part this year. The high transfer rate started with Mack, and unfortunately is continuing with Steele. I don't think expressing interest with virtually ANY player who hits the portal instills confidence with the current players. I wonder how Steele would feel if Christopher was seen having dinner or reportedly talking with multiple coaches every year, ya know, just for the hell of it.

Again, filling clear areas of need like a wing is one thing, but going after post players when 4-5 already populate the roster is another. Steele seems like a really good guy, and is a great recruiter, but objectively speaking, don't like what I see in the long run. I hope I'm wrong on this one. 2021 is HUGE for X as a program and Steele as the HC.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 5607
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Purdue's 7 foot 2 inch center to transfer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:33 am

longliveskip wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:43 am
Anti-Homer wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:19 pm
longliveskip wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:06 am


ya know what? i am so TIRED of hearing how we need to "baby" these guys, because that's basically what you are saying, that the coach can't go bring in a guy for a year because he may "compete" for someone else's minutes? if a kid can't handle having to compete for a year against someone to EARN their minutes, well then, how mentally tough are they, really?

if i'm a player and the coach comes to me and says "we got a guy that makes our team BETTER.", well then, pardon me, but so the $%&$ what if he takes a few of my minutes, makes me work harder in practice, and in the end, makes me a better player. if our guys in that lockerroom can't see that then that's their issue.

Steele isn't tone deaf. the PLAYERS are if they can't see that the coach is doing everything he can to make the team as GOOD as it can be for next season. work you a$$ off in the off-season. get BETTER than the guys that you're competing against for minutes. that should be the mantra and if they all buy into that, the team should be fine.
Got it. So I have to assume that you'd also think Steele would have no issue if Christoper said, "You know what, i don't like the fact that you play three bigs against teams who have multiple, quicker players. Also, stop this AAU style offense of giving the ball to your worst shooter and most turnover player to run the offense. I mean, the results on the court in his 1st two years hardly instills confidence that this team is on a great trajectory (not that is it on a bad one), so I assume this discussion will be had sometime in the middle-end of his third year if this team is once again mired in NIT territory.

I don't think what you suggest is reality in the landscape of recruiting high caliber players (HCBs). The main reasons HCBs go to a school like X is to have a chance to play more than garbage time minutes (as X mainly brings in 4 stars), develop for the NBA (which is delusional for 90%, but it happens at every school), play in the tourney, improve their skill set, and to not give up on the 17 games into their first year (zero in the case of Ramsey and Miles).

It's been reported that UK wanted Tandy, but his dad turned off Calipari by stating to the press that his son wasn't going to a school with a pg on the roster, and possibly one more they were recruiting in addition to Kyky. X also took Odia instead of Lowery. Why didn't they just take both pgs? Because neither wanted to compete with another high caliber player at the same position if he could have a greater chance of starting elsewhere. X also didn't take Cumberland, because they had JP and Bluiett. Was Mack babying them too? Cumberland's' 1st choice was X.

The revolving door with players at X in Steele's 1st two years doesn't scream stability. Perhaps a way to mitigate this is to not show interest in every GT who has at least two letters in his name. When the product put on the floor at Cintas starts to resemble what we've seen in the almost two decades prior to Steele's arrival, then he will earn more rope. For now, 18 inches is about all I've give him. However, as always, AH will end on a positive note. The dude can recruit.
as i stated - showing interest is not the same as ACTUALLY bringing a guy in. we didn't even make Haarms list of top 20 schools so just because we "reached out" or "showed interest", it should have ZERO affect on the mentality of our present players. if anything, as i said, it should make them want to work harder. i assume they realize that Coach Steele will be recruiting more guys for NEXT season as well? ya know, in the hopes that they compete with the guys on the team now and push them for minutes as well? shouldn't that be the case EVERY season? to bring in guys that you think make the team BETTER and that should make guys WANT to get better and EARN their minutes? you would hope so.
reached out" or "showed interest", it should have ZERO affect on the mentality of our present players.
Agree to disagree. I think your assumption completely defies logic in bball and life. DO you also feel that the players who have girlfriends have no problem with them "flirting" with other guys via texting, or surfing dating online sites? I guess it just would signal to the guys that they need to be better boyfriends.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 5607
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Purdue's 7 foot 2 inch center to transfer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:43 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:33 am
longliveskip wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:43 am
Anti-Homer wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:19 pm


Got it. So I have to assume that you'd also think Steele would have no issue if Christoper said, "You know what, i don't like the fact that you play three bigs against teams who have multiple, quicker players. Also, stop this AAU style offense of giving the ball to your worst shooter and most turnover player to run the offense. I mean, the results on the court in his 1st two years hardly instills confidence that this team is on a great trajectory (not that is it on a bad one), so I assume this discussion will be had sometime in the middle-end of his third year if this team is once again mired in NIT territory.

I don't think what you suggest is reality in the landscape of recruiting high caliber players (HCBs). The main reasons HCBs go to a school like X is to have a chance to play more than garbage time minutes (as X mainly brings in 4 stars), develop for the NBA (which is delusional for 90%, but it happens at every school), play in the tourney, improve their skill set, and to not give up on the 17 games into their first year (zero in the case of Ramsey and Miles).

It's been reported that UK wanted Tandy, but his dad turned off Calipari by stating to the press that his son wasn't going to a school with a pg on the roster, and possibly one more they were recruiting in addition to Kyky. X also took Odia instead of Lowery. Why didn't they just take both pgs? Because neither wanted to compete with another high caliber player at the same position if he could have a greater chance of starting elsewhere. X also didn't take Cumberland, because they had JP and Bluiett. Was Mack babying them too? Cumberland's' 1st choice was X.

The revolving door with players at X in Steele's 1st two years doesn't scream stability. Perhaps a way to mitigate this is to not show interest in every GT who has at least two letters in his name. When the product put on the floor at Cintas starts to resemble what we've seen in the almost two decades prior to Steele's arrival, then he will earn more rope. For now, 18 inches is about all I've give him. However, as always, AH will end on a positive note. The dude can recruit.
as i stated - showing interest is not the same as ACTUALLY bringing a guy in. we didn't even make Haarms list of top 20 schools so just because we "reached out" or "showed interest", it should have ZERO affect on the mentality of our present players. if anything, as i said, it should make them want to work harder. i assume they realize that Coach Steele will be recruiting more guys for NEXT season as well? ya know, in the hopes that they compete with the guys on the team now and push them for minutes as well? shouldn't that be the case EVERY season? to bring in guys that you think make the team BETTER and that should make guys WANT to get better and EARN their minutes? you would hope so.
reached out" or "showed interest", it should have ZERO affect on the mentality of our present players.
Agree to disagree. I think your assumption completely defies logic in bball and life. DO you also feel that the players who have girlfriends have no problem with them "flirting" with other guys via texting, or surfing dating online sites? I guess it just would signal to the guys that they need to be better boyfriends.
i assume they realize that Coach Steele will be recruiting more guys for NEXT season as well?
One more point. Recruiting traditional recruits, who know for the most part they won't start (eg. JP) when recruited by a high caliber team unless they are a stud (eg. Tre), is one thing, but recruiting GTs who have dozens of suitors is another. They have one year left typically, and are not going to a team unless they feel confident that they will get decent p.t. Moore was an exception, which i thought was a mismanagement of a player on Steele's part He played good D, and also shot well in the first dozen games or so, but Steele inexplicably cut his p.t.t significantly after tht point.
longliveskip
Posts: 1152
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Purdue's 7 foot 2 inch center to transfer

Postby longliveskip » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:58 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:26 am
kyzrex wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:50 pm
skyhops wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:09 pm
Get used to the revolving door? I won’t get used to that and others shouldn’t.

Steele can’t keep players, yet we are supposed to get used to getting a D2 transfer from a team that won 5 games?


I’m giving Steele this year but if after three years of no tourney and mediocrity it’s time to pull the plug.
Your wasting your time if you refuse to see that college players transferring MORE and MORE often is going to happen. There are 345 D1 schools and almost 1000 D1 transfers...that’s about 3 PER SCHOOL on average...last year and this year. No reason to believe that is going to slow down just because you don’t like it. You keep blaming Steele for not keeping players. News Flash....it is a problem EVERYWHERE! And when they make it allowable for ALL players to transfer 1X during their career, without having to sit out a year, it’s going to be even more prevalent.

If he brought in a backup from a team that won 25 games, would you feel better? If a kid can play, he can play. Can’t judge a player only by how good the team he plays on does. Been lots of great players that had the bad fortune to play on terrible teams that lost a lot of games. Doesn’t make them any less great. Also there have been a lot of mediocre players that had the fortune to play on teams that won a lot of games, with them not contributing much. Why not give him a chance to prove he can play?

Do you really believe that anything you say or do makes one bit of difference in his employment status? You’re “giving Steele this year”? How kind of you (sarcasm). Like anything you, or I, or anyone here says or does will determine if he is coaching after next year.
I know that transfers are increasing more and more every year, but I think the exodus is seen more frequently from lower tier schools, from players who want to play for teams who play in better leagues, are on TV more often, and make the tourney more frequently. The IVY League seems to have the highest turnover rate for some reason. The others are due largely to a change in coaching, and anomalies like the bizarre situation occurring at Wichita St.

I'd be curious to see how X's transfer rate compares to the other schools in the BE , with the exception of Gtown, where players faced disciplinary issues, and were forced off the team for the most part this year. The high transfer rate started with Mack, and unfortunately is continuing with Steele. I don't think expressing interest with virtually ANY player who hits the portal instills confidence with the current players. I wonder how Steele would feel if Christopher was seen having dinner or reportedly talking with multiple coaches every year, ya know, just for the hell of it.

Again, filling clear areas of need like a wing is one thing, but going after post players when 4-5 already populate the roster is another. Steele seems like a really good guy, and is a great recruiter, but objectively speaking, don't like what I see in the long run. I hope I'm wrong on this one. 2021 is HUGE for X as a program and Steele as the HC.
this is not a good comparison at all. Steele HAS TO reach out to guys who he thinks can make his team BETTER. if he doesn't, the program dies. that's just the nature of college basketball - constantly looking for guys who you think can make your team better. that's 1/3 of the job:

1. FIND the players
2. GET THEM to Xavier
3. Coach them up the best you can

if he doesn't do #1, the other 2 don't even happen.
longliveskip
Posts: 1152
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Purdue's 7 foot 2 inch center to transfer

Postby longliveskip » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:02 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:33 am
longliveskip wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:43 am
Anti-Homer wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:19 pm


Got it. So I have to assume that you'd also think Steele would have no issue if Christoper said, "You know what, i don't like the fact that you play three bigs against teams who have multiple, quicker players. Also, stop this AAU style offense of giving the ball to your worst shooter and most turnover player to run the offense. I mean, the results on the court in his 1st two years hardly instills confidence that this team is on a great trajectory (not that is it on a bad one), so I assume this discussion will be had sometime in the middle-end of his third year if this team is once again mired in NIT territory.

I don't think what you suggest is reality in the landscape of recruiting high caliber players (HCBs). The main reasons HCBs go to a school like X is to have a chance to play more than garbage time minutes (as X mainly brings in 4 stars), develop for the NBA (which is delusional for 90%, but it happens at every school), play in the tourney, improve their skill set, and to not give up on the 17 games into their first year (zero in the case of Ramsey and Miles).

It's been reported that UK wanted Tandy, but his dad turned off Calipari by stating to the press that his son wasn't going to a school with a pg on the roster, and possibly one more they were recruiting in addition to Kyky. X also took Odia instead of Lowery. Why didn't they just take both pgs? Because neither wanted to compete with another high caliber player at the same position if he could have a greater chance of starting elsewhere. X also didn't take Cumberland, because they had JP and Bluiett. Was Mack babying them too? Cumberland's' 1st choice was X.

The revolving door with players at X in Steele's 1st two years doesn't scream stability. Perhaps a way to mitigate this is to not show interest in every GT who has at least two letters in his name. When the product put on the floor at Cintas starts to resemble what we've seen in the almost two decades prior to Steele's arrival, then he will earn more rope. For now, 18 inches is about all I've give him. However, as always, AH will end on a positive note. The dude can recruit.
as i stated - showing interest is not the same as ACTUALLY bringing a guy in. we didn't even make Haarms list of top 20 schools so just because we "reached out" or "showed interest", it should have ZERO affect on the mentality of our present players. if anything, as i said, it should make them want to work harder. i assume they realize that Coach Steele will be recruiting more guys for NEXT season as well? ya know, in the hopes that they compete with the guys on the team now and push them for minutes as well? shouldn't that be the case EVERY season? to bring in guys that you think make the team BETTER and that should make guys WANT to get better and EARN their minutes? you would hope so.
reached out" or "showed interest", it should have ZERO affect on the mentality of our present players.
Agree to disagree. I think your assumption completely defies logic in bball and life. DO you also feel that the players who have girlfriends have no problem with them "flirting" with other guys via texting, or surfing dating online sites? I guess it just would signal to the guys that they need to be better boyfriends.
as i stated above - not a good comparison. their girlfriends jobs don't depend on them flirting with as many guys as possible to make their "life" better, so to speak.

that's not how relationships work or are built. as i said - Steele HAS to go after guys who he thinks can make his team better, even if it's for just THAT year (grad transfers as the example)

because we have Freemantle, Ramsey, and Miles for supposedly the next 3 years, will he not recruit a BIG for 3 years because of that? i know that answer to this. you don't have to respond.
kyzrex
Posts: 1646
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:35 am
Contact:

Re: Purdue's 7 foot 2 inch center to transfer

Postby kyzrex » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:24 pm

I wonder....do the players at Kentucky, NC, Duke get upset when the coaches recruit another top 10 player to the squad?
#WHYNOTX?
Anti-Homer
Posts: 5607
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Purdue's 7 foot 2 inch center to transfer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:21 pm

kyzrex wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:24 pm
I wonder....do the players at Kentucky, NC, Duke get upset when the coaches recruit another top 10 player to the squad?
Convoluted way to interpret the original premise, but I'll bite. Again, if it is a position OF NEED, I doubt it. However, if the coach goes out and brings in two players at the position they play when they already have 4-5 players at said position, me says yes. Stated yet again, this is especially true if the players are GT, unless you believe the GTs are being brought in to be mainly practice players.

However, Steele's penchant of playing a bunch of bigs at once may be at play here. If we play four or five bigs at the same time instead of three, I'll take back everything I said, because I'd love this lineup. The likes of Charlie Moore, Justin Moore, Gillespie, and the Creighton guards won't stand a chance. X can now just throw the ball to Haarms, Ramsey, or Free with 15 seconds on the clock at the top of the key, and "tell him to create." I mean, it has worked so well the last two years. Genius!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests