Purdue's 7 foot 2 inch center to transfer

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
edgecliff hall

Re: Purdue's 7 foot 2 inch center to transfer

Postby edgecliff hall » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:05 pm

The inside story as I have heard it is that he's planning to play six bigs at once. Figures nobody will notice.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:22 pm

Pro sports are always trying to upgrade a position so a college coach looking for more competition should try to upgrade positions. If you think Miller, Thadd or Chris wasn't always looking and talking to players, or even bringing them in you are wrong. Sometimes you have to look at a guy because even if you don't get him the first time you may get him a second time around and if you play him you might have learned something that might help you. I know early successful X coaches that wouldn't even try to get the four-star player. Having lunch with a former assistant, now a head coach, and asking him about the head coach's philosophy on recruiting I was stunned that the head coach would not even try for a better player. When he went on from X he failed because he would not take the chance to reach for better players. As for players' opinions, most think they are the best and a little competition is better for them. Sometimes it is the parents that cause a coach to hesitate but as a coach gains experience that is less frequent.

I am glad the TS doesn't let the fans determine his career success or failure. It is one thing to criticize a coach and another to rag on him for everything but that is what makes this country great, we can all express our opinions. Happy Easter and stay healthy.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:26 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:21 pm
kyzrex wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:24 pm
I wonder....do the players at Kentucky, NC, Duke get upset when the coaches recruit another top 10 player to the squad?
Convoluted way to interpret the original premise, but I'll bite. Again, if it is a position OF NEED, I doubt it. However, if the coach goes out and brings in two players at the position they play when they already have 4-5 players at said position, me says yes. Stated yet again, this is especially true if the players are GT, unless you believe the GTs are being brought in to be mainly practice players.

However, Steele's penchant of playing a bunch of bigs at once may be at play here. If we play four or five bigs at the same time instead of three, I'll take back everything I said, because I'd love this lineup. The likes of Charlie Moore, Justin Moore, Gillespie, and the Creighton guards won't stand a chance. X can now just throw the ball to Haarms, Ramsey, or Free with 15 seconds on the clock at the top of the key, and "tell him to create." I mean, it has worked so well the last two years. Genius!
i'll say this again, in regards to Haarms - he REACHED OUT. that's it. nothing more. X didn't even make the list of his top 25 schools so WHAT is the issue here? as i've stated - no HARM (pun intended) in reaching out.

in regards to our lineup for next season, i don't see us playing 3 bigs unless you count Carter as a "big". He can play the 3 if we have to but i don't see who would be at 4 and 5 with him in: Freemantle and who else? the D2 guy? I don't know. I'm guessing the 3 bigs was more out of necessity this past season, not a "this is how we are going to play from now on" kind of deal.
Thor in 204

Postby Thor in 204 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:46 pm

I’m feeling like the “3 bigs” will be Carter, Freemantle, and Deionte Miles. I think Miles is going to be a defensive presence and will be very effective in transition, because he runs so well.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:06 pm

that dude from WSU had X in his last 4. picked Texas Tech.

not sure if Steele has any other offers out there to transfers or not but i'm guessing that might be IT for this team for next season.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:06 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:06 pm
that dude from WSU had X in his last 4. picked Texas Tech.

not sure if Steele has any other offers out there to transfers or not but i'm guessing that might be IT for this team for next season.
Someone said Burton is from the Lubbock area.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
gundun

Postby gundun » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:50 am

Here is the story from the Lubbock newspaper.
BTW, Ohio State somehow got into the final mix and NCAA tournament history seems to have an important part.

https://www.lubbockonline.com/sports/20 ... estination
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:58 pm

well, I did read in a linked article last week that a key factor in Burton's decision was going to be "player development"..........

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... AdAAAAABAE
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:06 pm

Not too much a team with recent tourney success. Xavier was never really in the running.
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:36 pm

Is this board really complaining about seeking too much talent? Wow...maybe we should try to make the tournament before we freak out about losing 3 star players.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”