UC drops men’s soccer

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
nickgyp

Re: UC drops men’s soccer

Postby nickgyp » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:28 pm

It is sad when any university drops a sport. I would imagine that most university intercollegiate sports do not cover their expenses which obviously increase when conference affiliations have your teams traveling even farther away. Gone are the days when Xavier, Dayton, Miami and UC played each other regularly in many sports. These regional rivalry were not also always intense but considerably less expensive to conduct. Just an observation.
Hnoz

Postby Hnoz » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:25 pm

They should drop hoops since we own them !
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:21 pm

I feel bad for the soccer players, but it shows what a pathetic athletic program and administration they have. Their alumni base is exponentially greater than X's, yet we routinely have greater attendance, and are a top 20 Forbe's cbb program. Besides, i'm tired of subsidizing a lousy product with intellectually challenged fans. How "Sweet" it is. I like Fickell as a person and coach, and feel bad he plays in front of crowds which would embarrass most GCL teams. The first good team without baggage who offers him, and he will escape the league of abyss UC plays in now.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:24 pm

nickgyp wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:28 pm
It is sad when any university drops a sport. I would imagine that most university intercollegiate sports do not cover their expenses which obviously increase when conference affiliations have your teams traveling even farther away. Gone are the days when Xavier, Dayton, Miami and UC played each other regularly in many sports. These regional rivalry were not also always intense but considerably less expensive to conduct. Just an observation.
It would be good for the regional mid-majors, and I would welcome it for their sake, but X can only afford so many games when they have nothing to gain, while it is the Superbowl for the former teams.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:40 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:21 pm
I feel bad for the soccer players, but it shows what a pathetic athletic program and administration they have. Their alumni base is exponentially greater than X's, yet we routinely have greater attendance, and are a top 20 Forbe's cbb program. Besides, i'm tired of subsidizing a lousy product with intellectually challenged fans. How "Sweet" it is. I like Fickell as a person and coach, and feel bad he plays in front of crowds which would embarrass most GCL teams. The first good team without baggage who offers him, and he will escape the league of abyss UC plays in now.
Yeah, all of the GCL schools get 35-40,000 fans on a regular basis, don’t they? You can bash it all you want, but the truth is that outside of OSU, UK, Louisville there is no other college football teams in this general area of the country that draw better. If you’ll notice, none of those others are competing against a professional franchise either. I’m fact, the average attendance across the whole of college football last year was 41,868 per game, and while the average program saw a drop of 5-8% in attendance, UC saw its largest total attendance ever. UC will never be an OSU, that much is true. But then again, we can also say that X will never be a UK. Not when it comes to attendance anyway. So what? Who wants to be? I don’t. I’ve been to a lot of college football stadiums and I’ll put the Nippert experience right up there with almost anyone. I’ll put the Cintas experience up against anyone, too.

As far as dropping sports showing what a “pathetic athletic program and administration they have”, I guess every school in the country is “pathetic”. There’s not a school anywhere that hasn’t dropped a sport over the years, including X. I do not doubt that this will be happening at more schools than ever because of the financial problems this current crisis has brought on.
#WHYNOTX?
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:44 am

"Yeah, all of the GCL schools get 35-40,000 fans on a regular basis, don’t they? ", you lost me right there LOL. No they don't as someone who's been involved in Gcl fball. Great support, but not that big. That said, you're going to see more and more cutting and it will include the P5 schools. They have a lot more overhead in almost all cases, and with title 9 you have to pick and choose what you do. Mens' sports are likely to be hit first, and if butts in the seats in all sports don't come back, it will be across the board. I think Louisville this week reduced all athletic dept. salaries including coaches until this passes.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/s ... 122535002/

This from yesterday:

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
·
20h
Sources: Certain power conference programs in college basketball are considering being bought by other power conference programs in guarantee games due to coronavirus. Budget issues are everywhere.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:21 pm

Yep...I can’t see anyway in the world that schools are going to be able to maintain athletic department budgets like they have been. Miami U just announced that they are reimbursing 27 million in tuition payments. There is no guarantee that classes will even begin again in the Autumn, let alone any summer classes. Things are going to get weird.
#WHYNOTX?
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:29 pm

I think the bigger issue that hasn't even surfaced yet is the impact on the media companies. Companies are going to likely cutback advertising/sponsorship et. al. if this continues. Disney is losing their butts right now with theme parks being shut. All studio businesses are in a funk for obvious reasons. Fball money generally rules the day. If that isn't flowing in historic numbers, it will crossover into ALL sports.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”