Welcome Bryan

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Welcome Bryan

Postby muskieman » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:19 pm

I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
X-lucidity

Re: Welcome Bryan

Postby X-lucidity » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:01 pm

Golly, did he just shrink 2 inches? (Initial reports listed him at 6-8.) now while I welcome the young man with open arms and glad he chose X, he will need to possess Sir Charles Barkley-like skills to dominate the Big East glass at that size.
nickgyp

Postby nickgyp » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:07 am

Lucidity:

Strangely, Xavier hoops doesn't have any mention of this recent signing although Banners on the Parkway does list him as 6'8". How he transitions to D1 basketball in anybody's guess but if he had that many rebounds, it does suggest that he has good hands which cannot be taught. Height doesn't matte in all instances. See Charles Barkley. I believe Bob Pelkington who averaged some 22 rpg in the 60's to lead no only X but the nation as well was listed in the same range. Averaging 22 rpgs per is insane but Pelkington wasn't a string bean and he used his size effectively.

Welcome to Mr. Griffin and here's hoping he acclimates nicely to the Xavier basketball program.
Lead Guitar

Postby Lead Guitar » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:53 am

Paul Silas and Wes Unseld and Jerry Lucas were also similar size (6’ 7” or 8”). Not sure how tall Dennis Rodman was, but he made his living hustling and rebounding. Anticipation is a big factor along with hands and hustle. Of course body bulk and athleticism help.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:47 pm

I don't think you're going to have any idea about this kid at D1 until you see at least a month's worth of games. Looking at the schedule he played it's just impossible to translate at any size. The one thing when you look at the games individually he's obviously used to having the ball in his hands as he was the main offensive guy and the team only won 5 games all season. It's going to be an adjustment for him not being "the guy" offensively. He'll have to learn patience likely as his first point of transition.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:54 pm

Appears to have a good body for the BE but shooting .608 from the foul line is not something I like and his FT shooting percentage has declined each year from his Freshman year. I hope he can rebound with the big bodies of the BE.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:31 pm

Yep, and he's definitely going to see his shot challenged a lot more than what he's used to at D2. Ft's will be inevitable. The flip side is he's only a one year guy so its not a long term hookup.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:59 pm

His free throw shooting would be considered good compared to last year. I hear he will be a backup probably around the third sub in.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:37 pm

skyhops wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:59 pm
His free throw shooting would be considered good compared to last year. I hear he will be a backup probably around the third sub in.
Your math skills must be suffering during quarantine. You are right if you are only comparing Jones to Bryan but the other bigs Zach 78.9 and cater 70.9.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:04 pm

We as a team were one of the poorest FT shooting teams in the NCAA. Did you miss the Marquette game?

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”