Welcome Bryan

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Re: Welcome Bryan

Postby muskieman » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:06 pm

skyhops wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:04 pm
We as a team were one of the poorest FT shooting teams in the NCAA. Did you miss the Marquette game?
I didn't but do you know what the team FT % was for last season? And as I said the only big this guy did better than was Jones.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:16 pm

X-lucidity wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:01 pm
Golly, did he just shrink 2 inches? (Initial reports listed him at 6-8.) now while I welcome the young man with open arms and glad he chose X, he will need to possess Sir Charles Barkley-like skills to dominate the Big East glass at that size.
The interesting thing is TS said the guy is every inch 6'8" or 6'9" and has length, whatever he means by that. TS also said he has a good touch with his back to the basket and that he has great hands and can rebound
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:29 pm

I suspect both/all questions will be answered as his game is interior scoring and he's going to be going against bigger guys so that will likely translate to plenty of ft opportunities not to mention defended attempts. The downside of guys in the post when you only have them one year is the "adjustment" has to come quick. Guys whose games are more perimeter oriented the switch isn't quite so radical.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:08 pm

nickgyp wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:07 am
Lucidity:

Strangely, Xavier hoops doesn't have any mention of this recent signing although Banners on the Parkway does list him as 6'8". How he transitions to D1 basketball in anybody's guess but if he had that many rebounds, it does suggest that he has good hands which cannot be taught. Height doesn't matte in all instances. See Charles Barkley. I believe Bob Pelkington who averaged some 22 rpg in the 60's to lead no only X but the nation as well was listed in the same range. Averaging 22 rpgs per is insane but Pelkington wasn't a string bean and he used his size effectively.

Welcome to Mr. Griffin and here's hoping he acclimates nicely to the Xavier basketball program.
Pelkington averaged 21 bds/game my freshman year (63-64). He was the top rebounder in the country narrowly edging Paul Silas of Creighton, who was a beast rebounder in the NBA for many years. Pelkington was a beast too. 6’7” and 250 pounds of muscle. He could catch a rebound and make a two handed pass before his feet hit the ground to a streaking Steve Thomas.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:01 pm

nickgyp wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:07 am
Lucidity:

Strangely, Xavier hoops doesn't have any mention of this recent signing although Banners on the Parkway does list him as 6'8". How he transitions to D1 basketball in anybody's guess but if he had that many rebounds, it does suggest that he has good hands which cannot be taught. Height doesn't matte in all instances. See Charles Barkley. N-gyp, you're right re: size, but Barkley is far and away more the anomaly than the norm. I like the pick "on paper" as well. I believe Bob Pelkington who averaged some 22 rpg in the 60's. 6'8" in the 60s is probably like 7'" now no? to lead no only X but the nation as well was listed in the same range. Averaging 22 rpgs per is insane but Pelkington wasn't a string bean and he used his size effectively.

Welcome to Mr. Griffin and here's hoping he acclimates nicely to the Xavier basketball program.
Second that.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:09 pm

muskieman wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:16 pm
X-lucidity wrote:
Golly, did he just shrink 2 inches? (Initial reports listed him at 6-8.) now while I welcome the young man with open arms and glad he chose X, he will need to possess Sir Charles Barkley-like skills to dominate the Big East glass at that size.
The interesting thing is TS said the guy is every inch 6'8" or 6'9" and has length, whatever he means by that. TS also said he has a good touch with his back to the basket and that he has great hands and can rebound
I love TS's optimism, as I am cut from the same cloth, but he was voted the 2nd most hyperbolic coach in cbb last year, in AH Monthly. Look at what he said about most of the team in the preseason, and I'd say Freemantle and Jones were the only one who fulfilled the lofty billings.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:14 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:09 pm
muskieman wrote:
X-lucidity wrote:
I love TS's optimism, as I am cut from the same cloth, but he was voted the 2nd most hyperbolic coach in cbb last year, in AH Monthly. Look at what he said about most of the team in the preseason, and I'd say Freemantle and Jones were the only one who fulfilled the lofty billings.
WOW, reading all you posts tonight I see this quarantine is really getting to you!
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:35 pm

muskieman wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:14 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
muskieman wrote:

WOW, reading all you posts tonight I see this quarantine is really getting to you!
Your anger wall keeps getting higher and higher.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:54 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:35 pm
muskieman wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:14 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:

Your anger wall keeps getting higher and higher.
HAHA
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:30 pm

This is an interesting take on the transfer situation and production post transfer:

https://watchstadium.com/transferring-u ... 4-13-2020/

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”