Historic Basketball

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
nickgyp

Re: Historic Basketball

Postby nickgyp » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:35 am

edgecliff hall wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:08 am
MM, I did not know Korb and Jones. In my Fort Sil Officer Basic class was Bob Siegenthaler. We had many tall cool ones at the O. Club. I wrote stories for him at Xavier News. Other friends from XU, Bill Sweeney, Jim Dresen, John Carmichael, Mayo Mohs, and on faculty, Bernie Gendreau, Victor Dial, and John Gilligan who flunked me in Freshman Emglish because he thought I was being a smart ass, when in reality I was just a dumb kid from Indianapolis.
Also from OLC, Dianne Marcaccio, Joan Oden, and others. I'm digging up a lot of past history lately because I'm writing a Bio-File for my two grandchildren. All Best to Ya, JG.
Edgecliff:

My father trained at Fort Sill and I believed he took a train home from there to attend his mother's funeral. I believe this was prior to going to the University of Wisconsin for training there. Of course, this would have been well before your time there. Seems that Xavier had a long line of soldiers who spent time there. Had to smile when I saw Bernie Gendreau's name cropped up. Has to be the same person who taught me existentialism in a Xavier philosophy class. Still not sure what being is but I know that I am alive. I wasn't the brightest student at XU as a business major so feeling lost in that class did not perturb me. I felt vindicated a year later when my brother, a National Merit finalist who turned down Yale for Notre Dame, took the same class in summer school. I figured he would have been to give me some insight but alas, he was in no better position than me. Or at least, he professed that maybe realizing that it all was really over my head.

I can't say that I looked forward to Gendreau's class as it was taken to fulfill a philosophy requirement. Nonetheless, I felt it was mildly amusing when he asked questions that I know that no student could answer; and for that matter, he couldn't either. Maybe that was the point but I can only imagine
any confrontation that he might have had with an enemy combatant. It would still be ongoing today!
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:08 pm

Nickgyp, Bernie had a room in an old house on Winding Way, along with myself, Jim Dresen and John Carmichael. Bernie had two sayings that impressed and have stuck with me even to this day: 1. Maybe there is no God. 2. If you go in, go in covered.
nickgyp

Postby nickgyp » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:17 pm

edgecliff hall wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:08 pm
Nickgyp, Bernie had a room in an old house on Winding Way, along with myself, Jim Dresen and John Carmichael. Bernie had two sayings that impressed and have stuck with me even to this day: 1. Maybe there is no God. 2. If you go in, go in covered.
Great sayings! The first sounds classic; and the second, God only knows (but only if there is a God...)

Thanks for sharing!!
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Fri May 15, 2020 11:39 am

A Song of Fort Sill:

OH HANG A GOLD STAR 
ON YOUR WINDOW

IN WAR THE GODS FAVOR THE BOLD
YOUR SON IS A FORWARD OBSERVER

HE’LL DIE WHEN HE’S TWENTY YEARS OLD
OH ARMY ARTILLERY
IT SOUNDED LIKE HORSESHIT
TO ME
TO ME
ARMY ARTILLERY
AND HORSESHIT IT TURNED OUT TO BE
TO BE
nickgyp

Postby nickgyp » Fri May 15, 2020 1:43 pm

edgecliff hall wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:39 am
A Song of Fort Sill:

OH HANG A GOLD STAR 
ON YOUR WINDOW

IN WAR THE GODS FAVOR THE BOLD
YOUR SON IS A FORWARD OBSERVER

HE’LL DIE WHEN HE’S TWENTY YEARS OLD
OH ARMY ARTILLERY
IT SOUNDED LIKE HORSESHIT
TO ME
TO ME
ARMY ARTILLERY
AND HORSESHIT IT TURNED OUT TO BE
TO BE
Edgecliffe:

I don't recall my father ever singing this and I bet it was hard to dance to as well but this would have been before Dick Clark's time...
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Fri May 15, 2020 2:22 pm

Sorry to inflict that. So happens I just located my old yearbook of ROTC summer camp, 1954, where songs sorta like that were sung around campfires out in the Oklahoma scrub land. Early the next morning we would be up shooting the 105's. And it was hot.
nickgyp

Postby nickgyp » Sat May 16, 2020 9:38 am

edgecliff hall wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 2:22 pm
Sorry to inflict that. So happens I just located my old yearbook of ROTC summer camp, 1954, where songs sorta like that were sung around campfires out in the Oklahoma scrub land. Early the next morning we would be up shooting the 105's. And it was hot.
Edgecliff:

Doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun but the memories are real. Thank you again for your service to the good old U.S.A.!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”