Naji Marshall

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Anti-Homer

Naji Marshall

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:56 pm

Someone on twitter raised the question of whether he should stay or go. I think it is in the very best interest for both NM and the team that he left. His low bball IQ, erratic decision making which led to 5+ ill-advised (PC word for dumb) shots and 5+ t.o. s a game, should be ample evidence. He was also selfish, and a bad teammate (worst held secret around the program, and Steele's cryptic comment about not having players with separate agendas after he announced he was leaving was calculated). There were rumors he also got into a physical altercation with a coach. His self absorbed, narcissistic move of tweeting that the Providence game would be the last one at Cintas was the ultimate "Look at me" move. Great timing for him, b/c it shined the spotlight he so craves squarely on his schizophrenic play, but it was a distraction the team didn't need.

High ceiling, but he will never reach it at X, or the NBA. You have to be coachable, possess good fundamentals, and not delusional to succeed. He lacks all three traits.I wish him the best of luck, but hope Steele grows a pair over the summer, and learned not to let any more rogue players ruin the chemistry of the team. Two year's experience should be ample time for Steele to take his swim floats off. If the upcoming season is a repeat of the previous two, Christopher better start putting out feelers when/if their NCAA tourney hopes go down in flames again. Hopefully, he won't have to cross that bridge next year.

This has been a public service announcement.
olsingledigit

Re: Naji Marshall

Postby olsingledigit » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:26 pm

I will say again. Naji cannot come back according to Shannon Russell. He signed with a non NCAA approved agent.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Fri May 01, 2020 7:37 am

Puts up a post about a PLAYER, does nothing but criticize that player in the first part, but can’t refuse the opportunity to then also criticize the coach and once again call for the AD to be prepared to replace him.....

Dude, you need to get outside

:?
#WHYNOTX?
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Fri May 01, 2020 10:05 am

I never heard that Naji was a terrible teammate although as I have said before it was well known that Q had a terrible attitude and lost confidence the last one and a half seasons. If this is also the case with Naji than this is on Steele. Steele has mentioned many times that plays at the end of the game were typically isolation for Marshall to throw up a shot at the end of the game vs run a play (except for Zachs bucket but that option was given to Naji). It is strange that Naji has decided to go to NBA and might not even get drafted and might not even be able to work out for teams. Big east coaches do consider him in high regard.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri May 01, 2020 5:17 pm

kyzrex wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:37 am
Puts up a post about a PLAYER, does nothing but criticize that player in the first part, but can’t refuse the opportunity to then also criticize the coach and once again call for the AD to be prepared to replace him.....

Dude, you need to get outside

:?

I'm always generous when receiving criticism from you, b/c I remember how we first got acquainted on this board, when you essentially insisted a wing had to be forward, even though it is often a 2 guard, and sometimes a pg(eg. Semaj), or 4 (eg, Derrick Brown). Even Q often played in the wing position when consummate team player Naji played point forward.I hoped when I educated you a few years ago, you wouldn't embarrass yourself in the same vein by claiming UC has a legitimate football team, but obviously I was wrong. Your sensitivity meter was soooo high, that you actually became violently upset with the connotation- partial hyperbole, that GCL games draw more people. No, people in the city just care more about GCL football. UC is saved by having millions more in alumni that the local high schools, and my beloved XU for that matter.

I always feel sorry for you when reading your frequent ill informed posts, so didn't bother to respond to the latter assertion. Listen, I do agree that the nights before those juggernauts like Miami, Tulsa S. Florida, E Carolina, and the other murderous row of quasi intramural squads come to town, I toss and turn an extra 4 seconds before going to sleep. I root for Like Fickell, and can't wait until he too escapes the abyss which is UC football. UC sports programs are the biggest waste of tax subsidies burdened on the people of Cincy since the railway system. The other complaint is on game days at that behemoth Nippert (or is it called something different now), it uses to take me 8 minutes to go from from Christ hospital to get I-75. The traffic on game day though, if I travel through when people are leaving that historic stadium, lengthens the commute by 45-60 seconds. Perhaps that's driving my dislike of their programs, and not the fact that student's are getting fleeced more and more each year to support a putrid product.

AH out, and typing this on my modest deck on a lovely sunny day. Ky, please stop drinking the clorox. It makes you even more incoherent than normal.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri May 01, 2020 5:28 pm

skyhops wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:05 am
I never heard that Naji was a terrible teammate although as I have said before it was well known that Q had a terrible attitude and lost confidence the last one and a half seasons. If this is also the case with Naji than this is on Steele. Steele has mentioned many times that plays at the end of the game were typically isolation for Marshall to throw up a shot at the end of the game vs run a play (except for Zachs bucket but that option was given to Naji). It is strange that Naji has decided to go to NBA and might not even get drafted and might not even be able to work out for teams. Big east coaches do consider him in high regard.
A lot of talent, but very low bball I.Q., and not very skilled. He is very go at getting to the hole, and has a varied repertoire in finishing at the hole when he doesn't fade and fall to the ground, but his offensive efficiency numbers were always bad. He also made the team adapt to his game, and not vice versa. Fault lies one part Naji, one part Steele.

You have connections. Dig deep and get us intel about the Naji's scuffle. It supposedly happened early in the season when he tweeted something about missing Mack, and sat out a game b/c of a shi='y attitude with a side of fist a cuffs, couched as bad back. That salvo tweet by Steele soon after he left stating that he now has a team where no one has separate agendas was pretty coincidental as well. Boy, I'm glad Mman gave me three years of Angela Landsbury's detective shows on VHS in our Moderator Kris Kringle three years ago. My skills of deductive reasoning grew sharper than ever.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri May 01, 2020 5:32 pm

olsingledigit wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:26 pm
I will say again. Naji cannot come back according to Shannon Russell. He signed with a non NCAA approved agent.
I know he couldn't. The person on titter apparently did not. OSD, you know the pressure I have to come up with 17 compelling self starter threads to comply with my duties as a senior moderator each quarter. Expect a controversial thread pitting Larosas against Adriatico's in the near future. Ky, fair warning: please block me. The latter topic just might throw you over the proverbial edge.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Fri May 01, 2020 11:06 pm

Good Lord, AH has finally gone over the proverbial edge. He’s babbling like he’s been quarantined in isolation for weeks with nothing but replays of old Disney movies to watch. He’s gotten less idea what he’s saying than usual. Reeling from topic to topic like a drunken sailor who’s been at sea far to long.
#WHYNOTX?
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sun May 03, 2020 9:29 am

I think we can all degree that Steele did not have much control over this past years team at all especially on the offensive end.
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Sun May 03, 2020 11:22 am

Sky, I believe you are right on the money re Steele's non handling of Naji!! I don't know if Naji was a problem or not but he was definitely not coachable on the O side of the ball. I must say he's a competitor and probably realized nobody else on the team had the ability to score so he concluded he was Xavier's best option. It was hard to watch this team offensively...we all agree
My other thought on Naji, although I believe he has the athleticism he lacks the shooting skills to be an NBA player. I attend all of the NBA games here in NOLA and just don't see him competing at this level. He does have the defensive ability and can get to the basket on offense. But, the league will figure out real quick that he's a one trick pony and defend and take the driving lane away. Believe he's a good fit for Europe and a great career. I hope and pray for the best for him.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”