Best young coaches

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
QueenCityKings

Best young coaches

Postby QueenCityKings » Wed May 13, 2020 12:57 pm

At least some outside this board don’t think we have it so bad with our current coach

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... basketball
skyhops

Re: Best young coaches

Postby skyhops » Wed May 13, 2020 5:26 pm

Steele has really done nothing to earn that ranking. They are just assuming he is going to be like Mack and Miller, but he is not even close.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Wed May 13, 2020 9:37 pm

Love your optimism, Sky!
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Wed May 13, 2020 10:51 pm

Ha Ha
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Thu May 14, 2020 7:26 am

If you actually read the article and look at the people listed, his ranking doesn’t surprise me very much. Most of the coaches are assistant coaches at major programs or head coaches at lower level schools. Steele has been a longtime assistant at a major program that has been successful, and has a couple of years experience as a head coach at a major program. Although his success as the HC has not been up to a level that we want, it’s still not been a total failure in regards to record. Keeping in mind that outsiders are more number driven than anything else, he has won more than he has lost. In other words, the competition isn’t that great and is limited to coaches under 40 years of age. There aren’t a lot of people who have a winning record as a HC at a major program, and fall into that age group. It’s nice to see his name out there, but it really doesn’t mean much.

If anything, it should be a reminder to many of just how young he really is. In comparison to many other coaches of major programs, he’s still a babe in the woods.
#WHYNOTX?
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu May 14, 2020 8:43 am

I refuse to except mediocrity, which we seem to be accepting with Steele. Just two years ago we were a number one seed and then seasons of 19 wins and under performing. Steele has been on the X bunch for a long time, so age means nothing. Hopefully his father in law will keep donating money and Steele will keep telling us how great things are.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu May 14, 2020 10:18 am

skyhops wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:43 am
I refuse to except mediocrity, which we seem to be accepting with Steele. Just two years ago we were a number one seed and then seasons of 19 wins and under performing. Steele has been on the X bunch for a long time, so age means nothing. Hopefully his father in law will keep donating money and Steele will keep telling us how great things are.
put that into context/ #1 seed sure but losing two top scorers and a coach which took some of the potential incoming players requiring
4 transfer players
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
jct1941

Postby jct1941 » Thu May 14, 2020 10:23 am

Just two years age XU was one no.! seed, won the BE championship went 26 and 8 or 9.and the coach became the winningest coach in XU history. You never could find a GOOD thing to say about that coach - CHRIS MACK. You seem to be very down on everyone of XUs coaches no matter what they do. Steele had an empty roster in his first year and Goodin had a separated shoulder and missed the first few games. He had to rely on three grade transfers to even field a team. Last year KyKy played well in Spain then has a stress fracture and missed the first seven games. That set his whole game back as he tried to get in shape. The new 4 star recruits turned out to be not as good as advertised. There are a lot of things that are out of the coaches control just asked North Carolina,s coach. All in all I think Steele has done a decent job and I think he will turn just fine. Go Xavier!
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu May 14, 2020 11:02 am

X was picked third in the BE and was one of the biggest underachievers in the country last year and the offense was terrible. Excuses
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Thu May 14, 2020 11:10 am

As an amateur Freud, I believe that at least two of our players in this past season suffered from some form of depression. My hunch is that Coach Steele and his staff offered these players high level coaching and advice, which was ignored, thus leading to the (adjective withheld)
Performances we all witnessed. Come on, you know what we saw.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”