Postby kyzrex » Thu May 14, 2020 11:23 am

Oh jeez, not this s**t again. :roll:
#WHYNOTX?
thecoach

Re: Best young coaches

Postby thecoach » Thu May 14, 2020 1:27 pm

skyhops wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:02 am
X was picked third in the BE and was one of the biggest underachievers in the country last year and the offense was terrible. Excuses
I could have seen him being on the list, but the rank is to high. "Migh"t have made the tourney after the first round loss to Depaul is a stretch, but not a real crowing achievement. Either way, enough program tourney appearances to earn merit for a "might" is a little shakey. Assuming the season goes off as normal, i'd be curious to see where he would rank him if they wiff on the tourney 3 yrs in a row. This is an awful young team for 20/21. Won't be easy sledding.
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Thu May 14, 2020 11:09 pm

Coach, I seriously do not believe we will go better than 15 wins.....so young, still no proven 3 point guys, all new bigs!! In a very difficult league. He's got his plow in some very hard ground!! Gotta believe when he was hired the AD was looking at a 4 to 5 year climb back to our glory years.
QueenCityKings

Postby QueenCityKings » Fri May 15, 2020 5:52 pm

skyhops wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:43 am
I refuse to except mediocrity, which we seem to be accepting with Steele. Just two years ago we were a number one seed and then seasons of 19 wins and under performing. Steele has been on the X bunch for a long time, so age means nothing. Hopefully his father in law will keep donating money and Steele will keep telling us how great things are.

Coach K winning percentage when he turned 38, after 4 seasons with duke .509 His first 2 years .468

Coach Steele is sitting at .563 after two. Nothing to write home about but I’m guessing there are quite a few hall of fame Coaches out there who started there careers off with worse. I know of one at least. Duke fans wereprobably preaching that same garbage about refusing to accept mediocrity. Give the man a little time before thou cast judgment.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Sat May 16, 2020 9:57 am

Roy Williams went 19-12 in his 1st year at Kansas. a year after they won the national championship with Danny Manning. They were on probation that year and were not eligible for the tourney.

His 1st year at North Carolina he was 19-11.

I very much doubt that either Kansas or NC had recruiting problems prior to Williams getting there, like Mack had at X over his last 2 years.

I just think that some people have become spoiled by the success that X has enjoyed over the last 2 decades and think that it is their "right" as Xavier fans to expect that to continue forever, with no bumps in the road. Especially those fans that have never known any lean years, it might be hard to fathom that the success that X has had is not normal across most of the college basketball world.
#WHYNOTX?
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Sat May 16, 2020 12:14 pm

Agree KYZREX. Back in them olden days, it was a big deal to beat the Bearcats. Well, maybe it still is.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sat May 16, 2020 12:17 pm

Comparing Steele to Williams and Coach K, some of you are very dillusional.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Sat May 16, 2020 1:28 pm

skyhops wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:17 pm

Only comparing numbers. Shows that even the greats have sometimes struggled in their first year or two, record wise. So if the complaints about Steele are based primarily on the record, I would say that’s its way to early to make a judgment on his coaching abilities based on that alone.

If the complaints are based on expectations that have been overblown because of past successes and a feeling of entitlement......now that’s a different story, isn’t it? :mrgreen:

If the complaints are more along the line of strategy, execution (or lack thereof) by the players, dumb mistakes by the players, poor substitution patterns, etc.......you’ll get no disagreement on me other than I see those as much on the players as I do the coaches.
#WHYNOTX?
QueenCityKings

Postby QueenCityKings » Sat May 16, 2020 8:13 pm

skyhops wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:17 pm
I wasn’t saying steale is the next coach K. That’s ridiculous. However, people on this board tend to ***** on our coaches far too often, far too early, and it’s unwarranted. My point was that you can not judge this coach yet. He was left with an empty roster, and has since had some of the best recruiting classes in Xavier history.

I think I’ve posted twice on this board, both times defending our coaches. The last time it was Chris Mack. I believe it was titled Christopher lee Mack, if you want to find it. I got ripped for that post as well. How’d that turn out for him? 4 million a year sounds about right.

Give the man some time and stop bitching about two winning seasons in the big east with top recruiting classes coming in. Wasn’t our greatest seasons, but by no way means Steale is the issue. Relax
gundun

Postby gundun » Sun May 17, 2020 12:00 am

I have a hard time comparing Steele to our current Texas Tech coach. In his first four years he has taken UALR to the Dance and done wonders here at Tech. Yes, he wasn't left with much when Tubby left, but he got some good recruits and a few transfers and took off. It all started by teaching defense, something X has lacked. I live and die for two things: St Louis Cardinal baseball and Xavier basketball and those last few games have really pissed me off.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”