hell NO
63%
Only if they play at Cintas
6%

Total votes: 16
muskieman

Dayton? in the future

Postby muskieman » Sun May 24, 2020 11:03 am

It seems like the ugly word "Dayton' is being brought up as a possible future opponent. Who wants Dayton on the schedule? :o :o :o
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
PT71

Re: Dayton? in the future

Postby PT71 » Sun May 24, 2020 1:14 pm

I always enjoyed kicking there ass! BTW, me and my mates had to endure losing seasons ALL four years back during the "Krajack era ('67-'71)". So, beating anybody is heartwarming, but beating Dayton is exhilerating, to say the least. Villanova is a close second, in my book. Back during my undergraduate days, both of them had our number...don't recall beating either one. Our biggest win was freshman year when we beat Marquette at the Schmidt FH, by one I believe, when they were ranked 8th in the country...it was the "Bob Quick vs George Thompson Show." Both scored 40 or 41 pts...think Quick made 17 FT's!
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun May 24, 2020 1:34 pm

PT71 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:14 pm
I always enjoyed kicking there ass! BTW, me and my mates had to endure losing seasons ALL four years back during the "Krajack era ('67-'71)". So, beating anybody is heartwarming, but beating Dayton is exhilerating, to say the least. Villanova is a close second, in my book. Back during my undergraduate days, both of them had our number...don't recall beating either one. Our biggest win was freshman year when we beat Marquette at the Schmidt FH, by one I believe, when they were ranked 8th in the country...it was the "Bob Quick vs George Thompson Show." Both scored 40 or 41 pts...think Quick made 17 FT's!
I think the abuse that many of the X fans from cursing of the wives and families to the damage to vehicles in their parking areas might make a number of fans say it is not worth it. The only thing good I remember of the Krajack years, although better than those that came after him, was shooting hoops with him in the Fieldhouse. I think he could have been a decent coach but had no support and not enough Bob Quicks.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
PT71

Postby PT71 » Sun May 24, 2020 1:47 pm

MM, I agree. It seemed that the bball program was a bit of an after thought...largely to football. Frankly, football left X as it was too costly for our small school, and had moderate success. I played baseball for X, under Joe Hawk, who was by far one of the worst coaches I had ever played for...nice guy, but didn't know HOW to teach the game. In game moves were questionable too. Talk about AFTER THOUGHT! There were no or few scholarships...in fact, coach Hawk divvied up his stipend and gave to players...one positive/generous quality of his...but suffice it to say, the school spent little to no money on baseball...we drove our own cars to New Orleans for spring games...are you kidding me!?
gundun

Postby gundun » Sun May 24, 2020 3:26 pm

In 1967 Hawk's team was invited to the NCAA to play at Southern Illinois and the school said NO because of Finals.
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Mon May 25, 2020 11:34 am

Attended the Marquette win at Schmidt!! Was part of the football program from 67-70 seasons! Although we (football) received the lions share of the athletic budget we were still second class to the MAC schools and UC etc. I remember a couple of away games particularly U of Buffalo, we flew a charter and we were all saying novenas to get their safely. I for one was happy they ended football , it was not good under the conditions. Poor trainers, poor facilities, terrible practice and game uniforms.....we practiced at times at Asmann park at the intersection of Reading Rd and Asmann Ave. You guessed it, we jogged it both ways.. Sometimes we practiced in the open field across from Dana Gardens !!!!! Believe me I am grateful for the opportunity X provided us to play D-1 college football but really it was time to shut it down. I really believed it is missed on campus for the students. Wished somebody with deep pockets would underwrite a startup like the Rooneys fund Duquesne's program.
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Mon May 25, 2020 11:38 am

Regarding the spring baseball trip to New Orleans.....My friends here who played for Loyola always remind me of the brawl on Easter Sunday between X and Loyola.....two loving Jesuit schools lol
jaxalum

Postby jaxalum » Mon May 25, 2020 4:54 pm

muskieman wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:03 am
It seems like the ugly word "Dayton' is being brought up as a possible future opponent. Who wants Dayton on the schedule? :o :o :o
Unless a 50,000 megaton ICBM is targeted and locked on the Cintas Center, this is a colossal non-starter, at every level for X (administrative, academic, athletic..etc).

Why FREELY provide a similar institution, in which we are in direct competition, with even a modicum of help, assistance, favors, essentially ANYTHING that could provide a positive outcome for them?

What do we possibly stand to gain from a game with UD? From a purely basketball perspective, they may provide a Q2 W, yet there are 100 other schools that could provide the same benefit. And if we lose, it's infinitely more meaningful and significant to/for them. UD is spending millions, performing human sacrifice, sending red sweater vests to the Big East HQrs....essentially ANYTHING to receive an invite, at some point, to OUR conference. And the Xavier Administration, at every level, presently, and in the future, will try to block their potential acceptance, as they should.

I am absolutely befuddled and confounded by X fans who are proponents for this game. Perhaps this analogy can better communicate the present X/UD dynamic.

Company X grows/sells watermelons. 40 minutes north, Company UD also grows/sells watermelons. These two companies have engaged in constant competition for customers for almost a century. Approximately 30 plus years ago, Co. X devised a long-term plan to improve the entirety of their organization, hoping to ascend from a regional operation to a national one. Millions were earmarked. In 2013, they secured a lifetime contract with one of the top national distributors in the country ( Eastern Big Watermelon LLC). The gains of such a contract were immense; increased revenues, national recognition, an undeniable advantage over other competitors when securing talent, essentially, a seat at the "Big Boys Table". Hence, after millions spent, sacrifices made, finally achieving your goal(s), why the F$CK would you provide/offer a competitor ANY chance at positive exposure at YOUR expense????? It would be akin to Co. X inviting Co UD to a conference in which X's largest "Distributor" will be present, and Co.UD garnering exposure because we are allowing them. In the business world, you would be fired, and then sent indefinitely to an insane asylum.

Because of the Big East;

-Advantage Xavier in recruiting/scheduling/national PR.
-Xavier is associated with Georgetown, Villanova, St. Johns, Seton Hall, and so on.....all nationally recognized schools.
-REVENUES
-Brand rec., increased ability to draw a larger/academically superior student body

I could go on and on, but the simple answer here is that X should continue to step on UD's throat. It's a business.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Mon May 25, 2020 10:05 pm

I have had my fill of UD over 50+ years. I prefer not to be around them in any way.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Mon May 25, 2020 10:27 pm

When you have them down and the foot on the throat, don’t let up.

Fellow X fans, far too many Chicagoans have their children end up Dayton and seek to strut like peacocks. ChitwnSteve, Jr, his sister and I attest the ownership X possesses over Dayton, inclusive of the Big East membership. X should never willfully surrender that Conference advantage. The better local students select X. The U of I failures select Dayton and pretend it is equivalent to X, which we easily refute.

This is war ... and Dayton falls short. Stay the course, Musketeers!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”