hell NO
63%
Only if they play at Cintas
6%

Total votes: 16
longliveskip

Re: Dayton? in the future

Postby longliveskip » Tue May 26, 2020 12:24 pm

i don't understand the "hate" towards UD and NOT wanting them on the schedule. WHY??? There is NO WAY, in the position that we are in right now, that we can worry about the "quality" of our non-conference opponent for EVERY game. we just can't. what's the downside? the streak is broken? so what!!! besides the UC game, the UD game is the GREATEST atmosphere at Cintas - the loudest, most energetic, etc. (maybe when Nova was #1 was better) Why not bring that back? Why should we play the likes of some of the other teams we have on schedule? makes no sense when you can fill the arena and get that kind of a game.

in regards to COVID and how this has affected universities financially, you're going to see more schools schedule LOCAL teams so as to cut costs on flights, etc.

How about a non-conf schedule like this:

UC
OSU
UD
Wright State
NKU
U of L
Miami OH

Who am I missing? Imagine the money saved by playing all of them? imagine the money gained because the Cintas would fill up with those local fans?

just wait. it's moving towards that for a lot of schools.

i say bring back UD. it's a great game to play.
JTG

Postby JTG » Tue May 26, 2020 8:01 pm

Well, the vast majority of us can't understand wanting to play UD. There is a lot of bad blood going back a long way, and if you're young you probably don't understand. UD screwed us big time, and we always got treated like crap in Dayton. So screw them, and I hope they never get a sniff of the Big East or set foot in Cintas.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Wed May 27, 2020 8:56 am

JTG wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:01 pm
Well, the vast majority of us can't understand wanting to play UD. There is a lot of bad blood going back a long way, and if you're young you probably don't understand. UD screwed us big time, and we always got treated like crap in Dayton. So screw them, and I hope they never get a sniff of the Big East or set foot in Cintas.
i'm not saying those things didn't happen, but with all due respect, SO WHAT? that was YEARS ago. and i'm sure you would get the same messages from UD fans about their experiences at the Gardens and Cintas. we're not choir boys in this relationship. it goes both ways.

it's a great rivarly to have on the schedule.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed May 27, 2020 4:14 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:56 am
JTG wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:01 pm
i'm not saying those things didn't happen, but with all due respect, SO WHAT? that was YEARS ago. and i'm sure you would get the same messages from UD fans about their experiences at the Gardens and Cintas. we're not choir boys in this relationship. it goes both ways.

it's a great rivarly to have on the schedule.
I don't know any Xavier fans that came down from their upper seats to called two women, one in her 80s, f...ing Xavier Whores, and physically threaten them while they were sitting in the UD arena. I also never heard of UD fans having their tires flattened but it happened to X fans in Dayton. I am sure many long time X fans can tell you more things that happened I just brought up two that I have first-hand knowledge of from visiting their arena and I could tell you more. I think X has great rivalries in the BE with Nova, Marquette(which we have history), etc.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
nickgyp

Postby nickgyp » Wed May 27, 2020 6:08 pm

As I recall, Xavier did cartwheels t to get Dayton into the MCC conference but along with Fr. Dullio (sp?) at Marquette, UD as well as St. Louis jumped to join the Great Midwest conference with UC. Notre Dame was looking for a BB conference and had those schools hung together, the MCC could have been a very good conference. They did screw Xavier so I see no need to help them. I went to UD for law school and attended few Xavier games at UD arena. Not a good place for someone wearing a Xavier shirt.
nickgyp

Postby nickgyp » Thu May 28, 2020 7:24 pm

joeabe wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 11:34 am
Attended the Marquette win at Schmidt!! Was part of the football program from 67-70 seasons! Although we (football) received the lions share of the athletic budget we were still second class to the MAC schools and UC etc. I remember a couple of away games particularly U of Buffalo, we flew a charter and we were all saying novenas to get their safely. I for one was happy they ended football , it was not good under the conditions. Poor trainers, poor facilities, terrible practice and game uniforms.....we practiced at times at Asmann park at the intersection of Reading Rd and Asmann Ave. You guessed it, we jogged it both ways.. Sometimes we practiced in the open field across from Dana Gardens !!!!! Believe me I am grateful for the opportunity X provided us to play D-1 college football but really it was time to shut it down. I really believed it is missed on campus for the students. Wished somebody with deep pockets would underwrite a startup like the Rooneys fund Duquesne's program.
Two things: I love the mention of Bob Quick in this thread. The guy could flat out play. One of Xavier's best; and his jersey should also be hanging at Cintas. As to the mention of football, I knew they two years before 1973 were lean years but did not realize that practices were so unorthodox if that is the word. Disagree about the decision to drop football' and I for one thought Xavier's uniforms actually were good looking . The helmets were good looking but it is what it is. As for deep pockets, I think about Roger Staubach. He had to have played a game or two with the GCL doubleheaders that were played on Victory Parkway. Just think for the dedication of a new football program: Staubach passing to Danny Abramowicz! Of course, Carroll Williams would work, too!
oldhoopster

Postby oldhoopster » Sun May 31, 2020 1:45 pm

I don't know any Xavier fans that came down from their upper seats to called two women, one in her 80s, f...ing Xavier Whores, and physically threaten them while they were sitting in the UD arena.
A few years back there was a man with his young boy in their Dayton attire sitting in our upper level section. They were not being obnoxious, but just rooting for their team. A couple X fans, who obviously had too much brew, began belittling the man and shouting at him. They were relentless. I mentioned it to security and others did as well. At halftime security removed the X fans (season ticket holders I might add), but by then it was too late. The man and his son did not return for the second half. Not an experience I'd want for any young fan from any team.

I posted this one other time when X fans complained about Dayton fans. Neither side is without fault. As for whether or not X ever plays Dayton again, I have no feelings one way or the other. It was nice to have UC, Miami, Dayton and X all playing each other. But the hatred between schools was a little ridiculous over a stupid game. There are more important things to get riled up about as we're seeing all over the country this week.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun May 31, 2020 3:37 pm

oldhoopster wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 1:45 pm
I don't know any Xavier fans that came down from their upper seats to called two women, one in her 80s, f...ing Xavier Whores, and physically threaten them while they were sitting in the UD arena.
A few years back there was a man with his young boy in their Dayton attire sitting in our upper level section. They were not being obnoxious, but just rooting for their team. A couple X fans, who obviously had too much brew, began belittling the man and shouting at him. They were relentless. I mentioned it to security and others did as well. At halftime security removed the X fans (season ticket holders I might add), but by then it was too late. The man and his son did not return for the second half. Not an experience I'd want for any young fan from any team.

I posted this one other time when X fans complained about Dayton fans. Neither side is without fault. As for whether or not X ever plays Dayton again, I have no feelings one way or the other. It was nice to have UC, Miami, Dayton and X all playing each other. But the hatred between schools was a little ridiculous over a stupid game. There are more important things to get riled up about as we're seeing all over the country this week.
how were they belittling him? I have been to the UD area a lot as I have had numerous relatives graduate from there and I have had beer poured on me more than once, spit at as I was leaving the stadium, and had food thrown at me. The day after I was with the two women called F...ing Xavier whores and they better leave before they find out what happens to X women I was sitting with a Dayton fan who went to UD law school and was a season ticketholder. He told me that it was not just X fans that were treated that way but other schools too. He said he had owned season tickets for years but was thinking about giving them up because of some of the UD fans (which he did not call fans) He said a number of UD alum that owned tickets would give them to their non-UD kids and it was mostly them that started the unfriendly atmosphere but that it had spread to students and some of the older folks. I don't claim it doesn't happen in Cincinnati but like you, most X fans will call them out or report them but that didn't happen in Dayton. When the women were called names others egged them on and it took some X fans to come to their rescue as the UD perps took off laughing. The a-holes were lucky though because the husbands of the women were getting drinks and food for their wives because it would have been a different ballgame had they come back early.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:52 am

I grew up in Dayton and worked in Dayton for almost 20 years and must agree with Muskieman regarding UD fans being some of the most obnoxious fans ever. Their jealousy of Xavier is second to none, so I could care a less about getting them in the Big East or any other league. I'm not sure that is possible since Xavier has FSN. I've been berated at UD arena and had beer bottles thrown at me in the parking lot and that is even having Mrs Skyhops, with me, who is a UD grad. Ask Mack's wife what she thinks of UD.
josemiguel811

Postby josemiguel811 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:13 pm

Dayton seems to me to have a great future but only time will tell if it deserves it

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”