Why Xavier is Getting to a Final Four This Year, and Why They're Not

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
kyzrex

Re: Why Xavier is Getting to a Final Four This Year, and Why They're Not

Postby kyzrex » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:02 am

...and when X fails to make it there, who will be the 1st to call for the coach’s head?

The team is young and mostly unproven. They have a lot to prove. My expectations are not high. I do feel that they have a great deal of potential, but that’s all it is at this point....potential. I suggest keeping expectations realistic and just trying to enjoy the journey without worrying to much about the destination.
#WHYNOTX?
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:51 am

How about focusing on making the tourney and winning more than 19 games?
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:31 am

skyhops wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:51 am
How about focusing on making the tourney and winning more than 19 games?
Yeah...that would be a good start.
#WHYNOTX?
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:58 am

This is a most important season ...Why? We are at the crossroads of returning to relativity at the same time a bad season and we sink to the irrelevant class. Looks like TS is recruiting well and if he has an above average season and gets some momentum and national press recruiting could go to the next level. Its all about recruiting!!! To be honest , I am most anxious and at the same time optimistic. Go X!
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:41 pm

Guess I’m more pessimistic in the short term than most, but I really don’t see why I should be optimistic about this coming season...other than it serving as a stepping stone season.

I look at the lineup and see....

A freshman probably starting at point
A sophomore starting at power forward
A red shirt freshman starting at center
A senior starting at small forward/wing
A senior starting at the other wing
A sophomore as your #1 backup a guard/ instant offense off the bench
A bunch more unproven players playing backup rolls

Only 1 really experienced X player and the rest being sophomores, transfers, and freshman.

They might be really really talented players, and may with time develop into a really good TEAM. But developing a team takes time and much of the time that development takes place...summers and autumns playing pickup games and working with coaches...is being missed. That develop is going to have to take place during the season, and who knows just how the season is going to play out? There are many proposals out there, including one where the season starts EARLY and there is a 6 week break in the season, and in school, from Thanksgiving until the 1st of the new year. A break like that will make team development even more difficult.

Considering all of the challenges they will be facing this year, I’m not expecting much from the team this year.....other than that we will see considerable improvement in the team play from the beginning of the season to the end of the season. I expect them to be a much better team at the end of the year than they are at the beginning, but I don’t think that even then they will be a solid and successful tournament team.

BUT....I think that this team will serve as the basis for a lot of success that is coming.....just not this year.
Last edited by kyzrex on Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
#WHYNOTX?
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:55 pm

Good points! I was thinking a lineup of KyKy, Paul, Nate, Carter, and Zach. PG and especially rebounding could be issues but I think we will shoot better although we can’t shoot much worse
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:11 pm

There is no FF this year. First, there was no FF last season. The coronovirus will eliminate the NCAA tournament again....most likely. Without a vaccine and continued spikes in cases and or deaths....no hope of most NCAA sports even being played in 2020 and or 2021. Since 95% plus of college athletes will never play pro sports for big $$$ , why would that group risk their health or death...for what?
madness31

Postby madness31 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:56 pm

I tend to agree the season is unlikely but I suspect most of the players would prefer to play and take the risk. They however will not be making the decisions. Schools/NCAA will likely decide it is not worth the risk to other students, families, etc. to have the season. In my opinion having the season without fans is a legit option. Televise the games but don't pack stadiums unnecessarily.

Should there be a season, I would expect a better performance than last year. Travis needs to produce. He got a raw deal when taking over but this will be his 2nd legit recruiting class. Obviously his 2nd class are just freshman so he doesn't need to go deep in the tournament yet but there needs to be improvement.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”