Stanford cutting 11 minor sports/one third of all sports

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Xavier2005

Stanford cutting 11 minor sports/one third of all sports

Postby Xavier2005 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:23 pm

Standford is cutting 11 minor sports programs or about 1 of every 3 sports it has. This will happen in more and more universities. Without football and or basketball revenues, they have no choice but to eliminate sports programs to cut costs.
muskieman

Re: Stanford cutting 11 minor sports/one third of all sports

Postby muskieman » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:53 am

appears more men's sports will get the ax because of Title 9
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Jehoya

Postby Jehoya » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:03 am

I wonder how Covid is affect X financially? If all these other big schools are taking a hit then I would think Xavier is to, even if we don’t reply on football.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:22 pm

Xavier2005 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:23 pm
Standford is cutting 11 minor sports programs or about 1 of every 3 sports it has. This will happen in more and more universities. Without football and or basketball revenues, they have no choice but to eliminate sports programs to cut costs.
With the endowments that so many of these universities have, they absolutely have a choice. But they are going to use this situation as an excuse to cut sports that are not making money for the athletic departments. They are going to allow these sports to continue, but as “clubs”. That way all of the expenses have to be raised outside of the universities. I doubt very seriously that the fees that all students are paying to support athletics at any of these universities are going to be cut, even when a number of sports and the opportunity to participate in them is. Participation in intercollegiate sports used to be thought of as a very important part of ones university education, and ALL sports were seen to have a value. Not any longer, now it’s all about the money.
#WHYNOTX?
coastal muskie

Postby coastal muskie » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:09 am

kyzrex wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:22 pm
Xavier2005 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:23 pm
With the endowments that so many of these universities have, they absolutely have a choice. But they are going to use this situation as an excuse to cut sports that are not making money for the athletic departments. They are going to allow these sports to continue, but as “clubs”. That way all of the expenses have to be raised outside of the universities. I doubt very seriously that the fees that all students are paying to support athletics at any of these universities are going to be cut, even when a number of sports and the opportunity to participate in them is. Participation in intercollegiate sports used to be thought of as a very important part of ones university education, and ALL sports were seen to have a value. Not any longer, now it’s all about the money.
So true.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”