Who has the better program: Xavier or UC?

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Xavier2005

Re: Who has the better program: Xavier or UC?

Postby Xavier2005 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:43 am

Depends on what time frames, who has most National Titles, most NCAA appearances, etc etc Too general a question. UC certainly has way more Final Four appearances and way more National Titles than Xavier. Same goes for The OSU over Xavier. Criteria???
TheX-Man

Postby TheX-Man » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:01 pm

XU is the better program in the last 40 years but I think if you are looking at overall history, UC has been better. XU has more tournament appearances and wins in more recent times but UC can point to national titles in the '60s.

Ultimately it depends on how you want to measure. Can't be national titles exclusively because by that measure San Francisco and UTEP are great programs and neither have been relevant for decades. While the UC national titles are ancient history at this point, UC has remained relevant while the examples I cited with USF and UTEP have not.
sweet67

Postby sweet67 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:42 pm

Bad article
Last edited by sweet67 on Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sweet67

Postby sweet67 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:21 pm

sweet67 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:42 pm
This site is the drizzlin sh*ts. Seems to be run by a bunch of High School Harry's. The Xavier basketball articles stink and they come across as an insufferable homer.

Minimizes National Titles and Final Fours while hyping up things like "least coach dependent program in the country." As if that means a damn thing. In a prior article they called Xavier a "blue blood" program.

Xavier has a rock solid program that we should all be proud of. I have no doubts we will breakthrough to a FF and National Title one day. But until then, its hard to talk about us as an elite program like this site does.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:06 am

As a almost all the time resident of the the greater Cincinnati area for the last 55 years, I’d have to agree that overall UC has been the more dominant program during that time. I did spend a year going to college in Columbus, and also worked there after college for 3 years, and I will also make the observation that OSU basketball was/is somewhat of an afterthought, even in the Columbus area. If we are judging a program based solely on numbers of wins, final 4 appearances, and national championships, then we would have to judge UC as a step ahead of all other programs, over its history. However, over the last 10-20 years I’d have to say that Xavier has been overall better than UC, but perhaps a step behind OSU? After all, OSU did beat X and has been higher rated many times.

From a fan interest standpoint, I’d still have to admit that UC generates more interest than X from the causal fan in this area. But, OSU certainly has a larger fan base outside the greater Cincinnati area and gets far greater press coverage. It’s still not on the level of OSU football or Reds baseball, but while traveling through other parts of the states I still see a lot of OSU flags and banners, and almost none for UC or X. Xavier is still my personal #1 interest, but I can still say that while the fan base is very solid and very loyal, it is much smaller in comparison to UC and OSU fan bases.
#WHYNOTX?
muskiefan19

Postby muskiefan19 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:33 pm

sweet67 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:21 pm
sweet67 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:42 pm
This site is the drizzlin sh*ts. Seems to be run by a bunch of High School Harry's. The Xavier basketball articles stink and they come across as an insufferable homer.

Minimizes National Titles and Final Fours while hyping up things like "least coach dependent program in the country." As if that means a damn thing. In a prior article they called Xavier a "blue blood" program.

Xavier has a rock solid program that we should all be proud of. I have no doubts we will breakthrough to a FF and National Title one day. But until then, its hard to talk about us as an elite program like this site does.
I have never heard someone call someone the drizzlin' shits. A couple of things:

1. The drizzlin' shits is HILARIOUS.
2. I think the blue blood thing was said in jest. Xavier's not there yet, and I think it was pretty clear they were joking.
3. I just post all their Xavier stuff on here because this is a Xavier board. From looking at all their other stuff, though, it's pretty clear they're going for comedy here. I don't think they're auditioning for ESPN when they're writing this stuff.
4. Again, the drizzlin' shits is HILARIOUS.
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:59 pm

I like High School Harry's.
muskiefan19

Postby muskiefan19 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:43 am

edgecliff hall wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:59 pm
I like High School Harry's.
That's also a good one.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”