Who has the better program: Xavier or UC?

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
rickf

Re: Who has the better program: Xavier or UC?

Postby rickf » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:23 am

The best program for most people will be the one that is doing the best that year
muskienick

Postby muskienick » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:13 am

Over the course of the entire history of the rivalry between the Muskies and Bearcats, one would have to give the nod to the Bearcats for the following reasons:
1. They have more victories than XU over the entire history of the rivalry.
2. During their entire history of D-1 basketball the Bearcats have advanced farther in the NCAA Tourney than Xavier reaching the Final Four at least three times and winning the Championship on two occasions (neither of which was won while Oscar Robertson was a member of the team!!!).
3. The Bearcats have managed to be successful in most seasons while playing in arguably tougher conferences during most seasons up until they landed in the AAC while the Muskies played in the Big East.
Fathers James Hoff and Michael Graham, AD Mike Bobinski, and Head Coaches Staak, Gillen, Prosser, Matta, Miller, & Mack represent a Golden Era of Xavier Men's Basketball. AD Christopher and Head Coach Steele will bring us to an even higher level!
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:48 pm

Uc football if Fickell stays. Football still rules the day, and what he has done is amazing i think even to opposing fans. The talent he's brought in i never thought we would see in this city. Not to mention he's a really good guy and staunch Catholic. Contrast where Cincy and Uconn football went with the same circumstances. He's to be commended.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:57 pm

thecoach wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:48 pm
Uc football if Fickell stays. Football still rules the day, and what he has done is amazing i think even to opposing fans. The talent he's brought in i never thought we would see in this city. Not to mention he's a really good guy and staunch Catholic. Contrast where Cincy and Uconn football went with the same circumstances. He's to be commended.
First of all,

For full disclosure,UC Bearcats aren’t my favorite team. They are only my 3rd favorite, but I’ll still try and be objective. Coach, Fickell has done an “amazing” job? Child please. I really like him personally, as I think he is genuinely a really good man, the complete opposite of charlatans like Tubberville. But his three years are as follows:

2017 4-8 record with 3 top 50 games. Obviously, this yr has to come with an asterisk due to Tuberville’s lackluster recruiting, but with their putrid schedule, a 500 winning percentage was feasible.

2018 11-2 record, with 3-4 top 50 games. Beat VA Tech by 4. Va Tech ended up 6-7.

2019 11-3 with 4-5 top 50 games. Beat BC 38-6 in a bowl game. Bos College was 6-7.

Caveat: I did not look out the exact ranking of every team, but believe the number of Top 50 games are correct.

He has UC on a nice trajectory, but until they can prove to win consistently against good teams, and schedule like a non-mid major, they will be bunched with ten or so other mid-majors who try and reach the heights of the elite mid-major, Boise State. I don’t think they’d crack the top 4-5 of any of the major conferences, but with the improved recruiting, they can be the perennial tog dog in the declining AAC, with programs like Houston, UCF, and Memphis starting to trend down. Maybe I’m being overly optimistic, but one can dream.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”