Ohio ,Indiana ,Kentucky, Michigan and Illinois recruiting

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
joeabe

Ohio ,Indiana ,Kentucky, Michigan and Illinois recruiting

Postby joeabe » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:40 pm

Why is it we don't recruit well in our home state Ohio?
muskienick

Re: Ohio ,Indiana ,Kentucky, Michigan and Illinois recruiting

Postby muskienick » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:45 am

Perhaps, our coaching staff has found lately that we have had more luck in other states getting Big East quality players. Another factor is that Steele and his assistants have some great contacts in other states, especially Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, a couple of southern states, and in the states of the north-east. Who cares where the players originated as long as they continue the 30+ years of success that our program has achieved.

Go Muskies!!!
Fathers James Hoff and Michael Graham, AD Mike Bobinski, and Head Coaches Staak, Gillen, Prosser, Matta, Miller, & Mack represent a Golden Era of Xavier Men's Basketball. AD Christopher and Head Coach Steele will bring us to an even higher level!
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:54 pm

I wasn't suggesting a negative here. Agree it makes no difference where the studs come from. It seems it would be much less expensive to recruit closer to home like Villanova.
JTG

Postby JTG » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:47 pm

Nova is within an hour or 2 drive of lots of D1 talent, and they've got 2 NCs in the last few years. We, on the other hand are surrounded by a dozen giant state schools with good bball programs. If we hang a couple banners we can recruit the neighborhood. Plus it's easier to fish in a less crowded pond.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:54 am

Other than 10 years of living in Columbus and Dayton as a young adult, I’ve spent my last 54 years living in the Greater Cincinnati Area. It is my opinion that we are not in any real sense “Ohioans”. Geographically, Cincinnati is certainly located within the boarders of the state of Ohio, but socially, emotionally, and psychologically we are in the “State of Cincinnati”. It’s my opinion, based on my years living in Columbus and Dayton, and based on my interactions with natives of those areas and of northern Ohio, that many people who live in those areas also share the view of Cincinnati. I think that this feeling that Xavier, and Cincinnati, are not truly a part of “Ohio” partly explains this lack of recruits from the state. However, I will contend that X has done a pretty decent job over the years of gathering recruits from within the “State of Cincinnati”, and will remind others that currently 2 of the scholarship roster members are from this area. In addition, Xavier has become if not a “national” program, it is certainly an “eastern” program. It’s not really considered an “Ohio” program, is it? It’s ties to the Big East and the TV markets that share this BE footprint are far more important to Xaviers identity than is geographic location within the state of Ohio borders. Especially since there are no other BE schools located within the state, or really even close to its borders. Xavier TV coverage is probably much more in evidence in many other states than it is in areas of Ohio outside the Greater Cincinnati area, where there are no other BE ties. I would contend that Big 10, and even Mid-American school, coverage dwarfs any coverage of Xavier anywhere in the state north Cincinnati’s northern suburbs. Very simply, Xavier’s ties to Ohio mean far less than its ties to Greater Cincinnati and even many other parts of the country outside of Ohio.
#WHYNOTX?
Thor in 204

Postby Thor in 204 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:46 pm

kyzrex wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:54 am
Other than 10 years of living in Columbus and Dayton as a young adult, I’ve spent my last 54 years living in the Greater Cincinnati Area. It is my opinion that we are not in any real sense “Ohioans”. Geographically, Cincinnati is certainly located within the boarders of the state of Ohio, but socially, emotionally, and psychologically we are in the “State of Cincinnati”. It’s my opinion, based on my years living in Columbus and Dayton, and based on my interactions with natives of those areas and of northern Ohio, that many people who live in those areas also share the view of Cincinnati. I think that this feeling that Xavier, and Cincinnati, are not truly a part of “Ohio” partly explains this lack of recruits from the state. However, I will contend that X has done a pretty decent job over the years of gathering recruits from within the “State of Cincinnati”, and will remind others that currently 2 of the scholarship roster members are from this area. In addition, Xavier has become if not a “national” program, it is certainly an “eastern” program. It’s not really considered an “Ohio” program, is it? It’s ties to the Big East and the TV markets that share this BE footprint are far more important to Xaviers identity than is geographic location within the state of Ohio borders. Especially since there are no other BE schools located within the state, or really even close to its borders. Xavier TV coverage is probably much more in evidence in many other states than it is in areas of Ohio outside the Greater Cincinnati area, where there are no other BE ties. I would contend that Big 10, and even Mid-American school, coverage dwarfs any coverage of Xavier anywhere in the state north Cincinnati’s northern suburbs. Very simply, Xavier’s ties to Ohio mean far less than its ties to Greater Cincinnati and even many other parts of the country outside of Ohio.

I’m a lifelong Cincinnatian. I think you nailed it about the relationship of Cincinnati to Ohio, and also about XUBB and Ohio.
JTG

Postby JTG » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:31 pm

I think the first thing that strikes newcomers to X is the aloofness Cincinnatians show toward the rest of the state. Especially IL, In, KY, Mi. All of whoms major city identify with their respective state. I think it's also reciprocal for the state of Ohio. It's not really a big deal because Ohio isn't a hotbed of great bball. The biggest recent problem for X is Miller going to IU. He has effectively shut off Steele's recruiting pipeline from Indiana. That has hurt, but Steele's staff has found some real gems in NY, Ga, Ky, and elsewhere. We'll be fine and I'm excited about Steele's new supposed up tempo system.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:47 pm

JTG wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:31 pm
I think the first thing that strikes newcomers to X is the aloofness Cincinnatians show toward the rest of the state. Especially IL, In, KY, Mi. All of whoms major city identify with their respective state. I think it's also reciprocal for the state of Ohio. It's not really a big deal because Ohio isn't a hotbed of great bball. The biggest recent problem for X is Miller going to IU. He has effectively shut off Steele's recruiting pipeline from Indiana. That has hurt, but Steele's staff has found some real gems in NY, Ga, Ky, and elsewhere. We'll be fine and I'm excited about Steele's new supposed up tempo system.
Miller’s impact might be waning. The IU people are not happy with him. But a successor could have the same impact.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:56 am

I believe recruits are open to playing away from home state and region more so than in the past. TV has opened up recruiting to a national stage vs regional. As far a geography , I grew up in Steubenville near Pittsburgh. We were more attached to Pittsburgh Steelers, Pirates etc vs Reds, Bengals, Browns etd....much like Cincy
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:36 pm

The reality is that the absolute top players in the state are likely going to Ohio State, Indiana, or Louisville. Whether X fans want to admit it or not, these schools are seen as a higher profile programs to those level recruits. If you live in Cincinnati, UC still had an edge because kids are more familiar, as are their parents but the gap has definitely narrowed-almost on equal ground. If you look at the top 100 kids over last ten years, i would guess they chose Ohio State, Louisville, Indiana, etc. Nova was up against Temple, Penn, St Joes in terms of in state recruits. Winning two NC doesn't hurt. My understanding is that logan Duncomb was headed to X and very late in the process, he decided on Indiana. X needs to keep building on what they have done (Mack leaving hurt X in terms of momentum as they essentially lost a year in recruiting). I guess when coaches leave X regardless of how good they had become for Ohio State, Arizona, and Louisville makes it pretty easy to see what recruits are seeing as well.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”