R.I.P. Jim Louder

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
nickgyp

R.I.P. Jim Louder

Postby nickgyp » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:56 pm

LaSalle High School announced today the passing of former football coach, Jim Louder. Many of us will remember him as a Legion Of Honor member who played linebacker at Xavier in the mid-sixties. Louder was one hell of a football player and one of my favorite memories is him stopping UC's Clem Turner for a safety at Nippert Stadium during a Xavier win over the Bearcats. The story states Louder played two years for the Boston Patriots before returning to Xavier to coach. (Turner also had a stint in the pros). Sympathy to the Louder family including Jim's brother, Dan, who also played football at Xavier. May he rest in peace,
gundun

Re: R.I.P. Jim Louder

Postby gundun » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:59 pm

Jim also played a big role in our victory over Ohio in Athens in 1965.
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:43 pm

Jim and Danny A were roomies at X and remained closest of friends their entire life. He had been suffering with Parkinson's for several years. He coached me at X. Great, great guy!!! God bless his family. RIP Jim.
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:48 pm

Sounds like Jim was a noble Musketeer. Blessings on him.
nickgyp

Postby nickgyp » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:03 am

JoeAbe:

Didn't realize that your brother, Danny Abramowicz, and Jim Louder were roommates. It is easy to forget that the offensive exploits of Carroll Williams' passes to Danny were also paired with a very good defense led by Jim Louder and others. Xavier played some really good football in those days!
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:11 pm

I agree, Ed Biles put some very good teams together. I joined the Musketeer teams of 1967-1971. Xavier was beginning to leak oil financially and as a result reduced the number of scholarships. Ed Biles realized he could not win with less scholarships so he left for a position with the New Orleans Saints. I recall my freshman season, we played a 4 game schedule( Ohio U, Miami, Dayton and Marshall). Seriously, they were platooning and we were not. Somehow we finished 2-2. Our varsity had a winning season my freshman and sophomore years and then the wheels came off. Xavier football never recovered. They were losing over $200,000 per season. I like many wished they would have dropped down to Div 2 or 3 but I'm happy they plowed the resources into Hoops!!! Go X!! I absolutely hated loosing but I will never regret one second of my life at Xavier. I am so grateful to coach Biles for offering the scholarship to such a great institution. That's why even today I enjoy following X basketball recruits. If only they knew the value of the Xavier experience they would all sign immediately!!! I feel like most of you the Jesuit way is special. The priest's were super people. They too loved Xavier and took special interest in all of us as students making certain we GOT IT!!!
nickgyp

Postby nickgyp » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:16 pm

Joeabe:

Those always will be fond memories. Glad that your Xavier experience was a good one!
JKC74

Postby JKC74 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:09 pm

I attended Xavier from 1970-74 and broadcast the XU football and basketball games with my partner on WVXU 91,7 FM and I must say that looking back to those years it was a crying shame what happened to XU football. Other like kind schools such as Villanova and Holy Cross also experienced financial difficulty and I believe that Villanova dropped down a notch or actually discontinued football for a number of years before resurrecting the sport. I think a big part of the problem was that there was a lot of anti-jock sentiment on the campus in those days because of the lack of success in the previous 2-3 seasons. It was however a good outlet for bringing the student body together. There were some very memorable games during my 4 years. The biggest of all was the road game at Marshall U., their home opener after the tragic crash. Just when Tom Cecchini seemed to have had the program pointed in the right direction. Fr. Mulligan suggested that the plug be pulled. The worst of it was that the decision was not made public until the students left for Christmas break! All that aside attending XU was the best decision I ever made. The everlasting friendships that were made, the fun that we had, great faculty. When I visit the campus I feel so much at home the second i set foot on it. Back than, we did not have the greatest campus and Cincinnati was not a destination -place but you know what? WE LOVED IT and do to this day.
JTG

Postby JTG » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:47 am

In my years at X, 68-72, football was dreadful. But it was still fun, and football wasn't the only thing leaking money. Fr Mulligan, was totally inept. Looking back, I'm not surprised the whole school didn't fold. Basketball was bad, too. And my senior year, 72, they didn't even have enough money to publish a yearbook. Thankfully Mulligan left, and better management prevailed. Someone figured out that you could resurrect an institution, and totally turn it around with a successful D1 basketball program. The campus is a showplace now, admissions are off the charts, and student pop. is way more than most of us remember. I still think about football every Fall. Here in Indy, Butler is still fielding a team. The scores are not even published in the paper. And they have to be losing lots of money, but it plugs along, and alums have games to go to in the Fall. How do D2 and NAIA schools make it work ? We have one of each here, and it not only works, but U Indy makes the playoffs most years, and Marian has 2 Natl Championships.
I went to 3 or 4 of the Club games, back a few years ago when X tried it. It was too bad that didn't work. It was fun to watch. I don't know how schools succeed making that work. Our roster was decimated with injuries half way thru the season. Hopefully the Bballers will make us proud this winter. Go X.
JKC74

Postby JKC74 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:53 pm

JTG
you are so right about Fr. Mulligan. He oversaw the complete and total decline of Loyola (Chicago) athletics!
XU football was just another notch on his belt!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”