R.I.P. Jim Louder

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
JTG

Re: R.I.P. Jim Louder

Postby JTG » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:05 pm

It's really scary that one Pres. can wreck an institution in a short amount of time. We've been blessed with 2 great leaders in Hoff and Graham. I hope Graham's successor has the same vision as hw and Hoff .
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:50 pm

Here's one for the books!! Fr Mulligan flew to NOLA to have a meeting with my brother. He asked Danny if he would head up a fundraiser to save football? They went to dinner and Danny told him he would do whatever it took to keep fb alive at X. Danny's feeling were like most of ours that fb provided a great fall activity for students and it would be terribly missed by current students and alums as well. Danny said he would get a bunch of hi NFL guys (Archie Manning, Billy Kilmer, Mike Ditka etc) to attend a fundraiser in Cincinnati. He and father shook hands and agreed excitingly to stage the event. Next thing Danny knows Steve Beetle Bailey phoned saying Fr Mulligan announced the end of Xavier football!! Danny told Beetle what he and father agreed upon and could not believe father did not even have the decency to phone Danny to inform him before announcing it to the public. In fact, he never contacted Danny!! What a piece of work. It can still be done....all you need is one backer.....Duquesne fb is funded by the Rooney's owners of the Steelers. Why would the Brown's not do the same for Xavier fb??? I believe its a Title 9 issue????
JTG

Postby JTG » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:21 pm

I don't think it's a Title IX issue if you go non scholarship, ala the Pioneer league Butler and Dayton are in. As for the Browns funding it, my impression has always been they are world class tightwads. Not sure what other benefactor in the Xavier universe could be tapped for football, I wish there was one.
nickgyp

Postby nickgyp » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:28 pm

JoeAbe:

I remember you writing about that meeting with Da and Fr. Mulligan only to have the latter pulled the rug from beneath him. That really sucks and adds to the sting of the decision. As I watch college games even now I can only think back to Victory Parkway and days that have not exited since 1973.
I participated very much in the cub football "revival" in 2006 and years thereafter all with the hope of it leading to Xavier playing football in the non-scholarship Pioneer League. The club team had success but paying to play football through player fees proved too much for guys trying to be students and players too. The clubbers had some really good players but injuries and numbers took its toll. I would love to see the club team play again as even Loyola Chicago has a team as does Miami and Wright State.

I have Xavier helmets in my basement and I still yearn for the day XU plays football again. Benefactors? Years ago, the owner of the Chicago Bears was at Xavier; and I had thought about dropping her a letter. Nowadays, I think of Roger Staubach who as a high schooler may have played in a GCL double header or two at Corcoran Field. He would seem a possibility with his Cincinnati and football connections. Wouldn't that be something? I also believe Steve Junker who played for Xavier and the Detroit Lions and his son had an interest in reviving Xavier football in the 80's. I do not know how to get this started but its a thought.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”