Why The Heck?

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
edgecliff hall

Why The Heck?

Postby edgecliff hall » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:51 pm

Yes, Why The Heck has Broken Anchor stopped posting here? Too snooty for us,Joe? Or have ya been warned off? Anyhow, Joe's latest opus is a killer funny essay in which he rates the mailing address of every blessed Big East school. Note his learned discussion of Dog 1 and Dog 2. It's a corker! And shame on UCONN and GEORGETOWN for their lousy addresses.
muskieman

Re: Why The Heck?

Postby muskieman » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:14 pm

Might be the fact that some here were highly critical of the Broken anchor
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:48 am

Well, okay then, thanks for the info, Muskieman.
muskienick

Postby muskienick » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:08 pm

They might not be "Sporting News" yet nor do they miss a chance to put XU on the flowery side of their opinions, But they otherwise are fun to read and one would hope that we'd give these young whipper-snappers a chance to mature in their writing about sports, especially Big East sports. These young adults should be given encouragement rather than an endless list of negative criticisms!
Fathers James Hoff and Michael Graham, AD Mike Bobinski, and Head Coaches Staak, Gillen, Prosser, Matta, Miller, & Mack represent a Golden Era of Xavier Men's Basketball. AD Christopher and Head Coach Steele will bring us to an even higher level!
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:51 pm

I agree with you, muskienick. Joe L. reminds me a lot of my good friend and classmate, Mayo Mohs. Mayo started out writing movie and theater reviews for the Xavier News. He wound up as an editor for Time Magazine. In 1996 he had just taken on a free lance job to cover the political conventions of that year when he was killed on a street in Santa Monica by a drunk driver from Japan. "Ironic" as Mayo might say, since he loved Japan.
Joe L. is now punching well above his weight as he writes for Broken Anchor. Someday, he will write for the freakin' New York Times.
yellow20xd

Postby yellow20xd » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:37 pm

With a broken anchor, maybe he just drifted off... Dan
“Wins go on the mantle. Losses go in your soul."
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:59 pm

edgecliff hall wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:51 pm
I agree with you, muskienick. Joe L. reminds me a lot of my good friend and classmate, Mayo Mohs. Mayo started out writing movie and theater reviews for the Xavier News. He wound up as an editor for Time Magazine. In 1996 he had just taken on a free lance job to cover the political conventions of that year when he was killed on a street in Santa Monica by a drunk driver from Japan. "Ironic" as Mayo might say, since he loved Japan.
Joe L. is now punching well above his weight as he writes for Broken Anchor. Someday, he will write for the freakin' New York Times.
Edgecliff,

First, don’t ever change. Every single post of yours is positive and entertaining, so obviously I relate.

Secondly, I too want these college kids from BA to keep writing and not get discouraged. For the record, I don’t believe they are. I commend their efforts and of course they are not going to be as good as D & V, or even my former blog I had with BE basketball. However, constructive criticism is fair game if you’re going to peddle any product or service for public consumption and it is good for them. I don’t think telling them all your posts are wonderful and spot on if you don’t believe it’s true is helpful, especially if they want to make a career out of it.

As an example, 5+ years ago when I became the youngest moderator on this board, I went through and endless stream of focus groups. Muskieman purposely brought in some of the meanest nuns, who mercilessly panned my opinions. Though I shed many tears, I grew stronger for it, and now the board is the benefactor by having one of the most respected moderators in the industry. I don’t like to drop names, but a very prestigious school up north which rhymes with Right Skate has been pursuing me to be to the lead moderator for their fencing board.

Admittedly, I cursed and hated Mman during that challenging period, but that kooky SOB knew what he was doing. I hope the boys at BA will benefit from any criticism as I did.

Seacrest Out.
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:52 am

Wow! Thanks much for the Upcheck, Anti-Homer. Right back atcha, I always enjoy your take on everything. Just for fun, you may want to check out HOW TO WRITE AN IRISH PLAY at Amazon Books. What is a play, after all, but a series of tweets.
All Best To Ya,
JG
muskiefan19

Postby muskiefan19 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:15 pm

muskienick wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:08 pm
They might not be "Sporting News" yet nor do they miss a chance to put XU on the flowery side of their opinions, But they otherwise are fun to read and one would hope that we'd give these young whipper-snappers a chance to mature in their writing about sports, especially Big East sports. These young adults should be given encouragement rather than an endless list of negative criticisms!
Thanks man. We're just trying to have a good time making content that makes people laugh. Thanks for giving us whipper-snappers a shot here, and we love that you're tuned into what we're doing.
muskiefan19

Postby muskiefan19 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:17 pm

edgecliff hall wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:51 pm
I'll punch at whatever weight I want to, Edgecliff. Thank you for the support though, man. We'll absolutely keep growing this thing because of guys like you.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”