Ken Pom's preseason rankings

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Ken Pom's preseason rankings

Postby muskieman » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:16 pm

KenPom's preseason ratings are out Villanova #4, Creighton #13, Marquette #34, UConn #43, Seton Hall #50, Butler #56, PC #63, Xavier #65, St Johns #72, DePaul # 85 and Georgetown # 86.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Re: Ken Pom's preseason rankings

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:32 pm

muskieman wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:16 pm
KenPom's preseason ratings are out Villanova #4, Creighton #13, Marquette #34, UConn #43, Seton Hall #50, Butler #56, PC #63, Xavier #65, St Johns #72, DePaul # 85 and Georgetown # 86.
I still think Steele may have the goods, but the preseason ranking is more of an indictment on Steele's perceived coaching chops than deficits in talent. A top 20 recruiting class to go along with getting three transfers, (one reportedly very good in Stanley) and four big contributors from last year usually gets you near Top 25 territory.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:34 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:32 pm
muskieman wrote:
I still think Steele may have the goods, but the preseason ranking is more of an indictment on Steele's perceived coaching chops than deficits in talent. A top 20 recruiting class to go along with getting three transfers, (one reportedly very good in Stanley) and four big contributors from last year usually gets you near Top 25 territory.

Fact is we really don’t know what the talent level of this group of players actually is.....NOR do we know what the talent level of the other Big East schools is. There are just to many new pieces to the puzzle. This years team may actually play much better as a team than last years team, and still not have any more success. It certainly shouldn’t surprise anyone if Villanova and Creighton sweep X (4 loses) and they split with everyone else. That leaves them with a sub .500 conference record and probably out of the tourney at the end of the season. If they lose those 4 games to the top 2 teams, they are going to need to sweep 2 other teams, just to have a chance of breaking even. I certainly can’t point to any other BE team and say that X should sweep them.

Their ranking is more a result of the uncertainty that surrounds the roster than it’s any indication of the respect for the coaching staff. In fact, based on what I’ve read, Steele is very highly respected around the country.
#WHYNOTX?
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:31 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:32 pm
muskieman wrote:
Does that hold true for Coach K, Calipari, and the other coaches that have had multiple #1 classes and still did not win it all or make the final four every time Top 20 class means a lot of people like those players but does not guarantee success!
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
X-man

Postby X-man » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:31 pm

None of the pre-season rankings, including KenPom's, include either Stanley or Kunkel in the mix. Assuming they get NCAA transfer waivers, Xavier's rankings should improve.
Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament, and almost always makes some noise while there. Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan (ESPN Summer Shootaround, 2012)
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:40 pm

Sounds about right considering how we have not lived up to expectations the last two years. Can’t miss the tourney for the third straight year or Steele should be on hot seat. I’m exited about this years team and I hope Steele has the stones to make the correct lineup and decisions. I will provide some of my inside info in the next day or so.
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:00 pm

UK has had Calipari and they pay him multi millions a year for many years and a lot of talented players. They have one National Championship to show for all of Calipari's years at UK. Pre season polls mean nothing. The FF teams mean something and many times the best projected preseason teams are not there at the end.
JTG

Postby JTG » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:10 pm

It's just a matter of show me. If we had been just a bit better we would have more cred. Anyone who watch us the last 2 years saw the shitshow. I'm a broken record but Naji and Q gone is addition by subtraction. If Steele can't coach this group we're in trouble.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:44 pm

Agree 100% with JTG. We will easily outperform that ranking of 65. Or, we will have our final answer that Steele is subpar...

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”