Marquette Thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Anti-Homer

Marquette Thread

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:42 pm

Marquette is a lot like X, in that they can score at all levels, have several dynamic playmakers, and good size. They also both shoot very well from 3. They are led by a poor man's Dwayne Wade in McEwen, who along with OSU transfer Carton, has arguably the best back court in the league. I think their starting five may be a little better than X's, but their bench isn't nearly has good. They have a dynamic sm forward 6th man in Justin Lewis, but no one else is very productive. If they can get Theo John in FT, they can exploit Mquette's lack of quality depth, especially in the post.

Their freshman, Dawson Garcia, a guy who X coveted, is a talented tall "4", and is having a very good year. He'll be a challenge for Carter mainly, as he has a nice stroke from 3. A big question for X is who has Covid. I obviously hope no one does, but based on who has been practicing according to Twitter, it is either Miles, Griffin, or Odom. Ironically, the most indispensable guy for X this game is Carter, b/c no one else can guard Garcia. X has very good depth at every other position. There is no shot including a lab which is a sure thing with him, but he is a very good rebounder, defender, and interior passer.

The other ones are Free and Odom, though Free's defense diminishes his great offensive game somewhat, and now X has two other guys who can handle the point in Jones and Scruggs.

Mquette has two very good wins against Crieghton and Wisky, but also 3 losses, though none are bad ones (worst loss is to 6-1 OK State). Depth again rules the day, as X will win 74-69.
X-man

Re: Marquette Thread

Postby X-man » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:01 am

I understand that it's Odom who's out today because of covid.
Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament, and almost always makes some noise while there. Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan (ESPN Summer Shootaround, 2012)
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:33 am

Carter will have to play better than he has the last couple games. He tends to play worse against good competition. I’ve watch Marquette play and they are solid, which is surprising how X is favored by 4.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:16 am

X-man wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:01 am
Not ideal, but I have faith that Jones & Scruggs can handle the pg position. That's the beauty of their depth this year. X was fortunate that Kunkel & Stanley were granted waivers. I don't think Mquette presses much, but admittedly have only seen them play a lot against Creighton, and a little against Wisky & Okl State.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:33 am

skyhops wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:33 am
Carter will have to play better than he has the last couple games. He tends to play worse against good competition. I’ve watch Marquette play and they are solid, which is surprising how X is favored by 4.
Carter is who he is. He does a lot of things well, but is a poor offensive player. It's a toss up whether I'd rather have him or Goodin take a trey, though he did have a huge one against UC. I hope that's the last game they need him to hit a big three. On the plus side, he always defends the other teams best big, and usually does it well. He also rebounds very well, which is huge today against a good O rebounding team. He is also a good interior passer, and has been shooting very well from the line this year also.

Fortunately, X doesn't need scoring from him. On off days offensively, and it will happen, Carter will have to sit. He struggles when he is a low-med volume shooter. That will be magnified if his shot selection approached double digits.

Nevertheless, Me likes JC.
cincycanesfan

Postby cincycanesfan » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:07 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:16 am
X-man wrote:
Not ideal, but I have faith that Jones & Scruggs can handle the pg position. That's the beauty of their depth this year. X was fortunate that Kunkel & Stanley were granted waivers. I don't think Mquette presses much, but admittedly have only seen them play a lot against Creighton, and a little against Wisky & Okl State.

I would prefer not to see Tandy at the point. Teams tend to get out o0n him more, and he gives the ball up early, resulting in the offense starting our farther than I would like to see.

As for Marquette, they are a hard team to gauge. They looked strong at Creighton and then bad against SHU as they took a TON of bad shots. And I know the Wisky game was a good win, but I cannot remember the last time I saw Wisky miss so many open shots. So while Marquette played well, Wisky had maybe their worst shooting game in a long time.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:40 pm

cincycanesfan wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:07 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:16 am
X-man wrote:

I would prefer not to see Tandy at the point. Teams tend to get out o0n him more, and he gives the ball up early, resulting in the offense starting our farther than I would like to see.

As for Marquette, they are a hard team to gauge. They looked strong at Creighton and then bad against SHU as they took a TON of bad shots. And I know the Wisky game was a good win, but I cannot remember the last time I saw Wisky miss so many open shots. So while Marquette played well, Wisky had maybe their worst shooting game in a long time.
Great take.

I agree on your points. Tandy is a very nervous dribbler. He treats the ball like a hand grenade whenever pressured. I've never seen a PG panic so much, and stop his dribble forty feet from the hole with a single defender. He is a "bucket getter," and was an indispensable weapon before X had guys like Johnson, Jones, Kunkel, and Odom come into the fold. Now, unless he is on, X can't afford him forcing bad shots, something they had to tolerate last year.

He also lacks vision as a passer, and is the defensive equivalent of Free defensively at the guard. I do like him and hope he stays, but with the great infusion of talent at the guard position, I think X-Expert's ominous post about a possible transfer was about him. His body language when on the bench is similar to Muskieman's when I bring fruit instead of donuts to our Mod meetings.

I also agree on Marquette. They definitely have talent, and think they are a tourney team, but had to come back from a double digit deficit to beat Creighton, and lost to a team whose record is 6-1, but whom I believe is overachieving. At least they didn't lose to anybody like S. Fla. I also think they'll only get better as they rely on two freshman, and had a transfer recently become available. They are X-lite in terms of their ceiling.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:28 pm

With Odom out my guess is we will see a three-guard lineup with Jones. Would have loved to see Odom in there today but Jones will give us good D and maybe add a little more scoring punch
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:35 pm

Wojo knows Johns is too big for Free and Carter, but Steele won't make the adjustment. When Johns is dominating offensively with his very limited offensive skillset, it is due to one and one thing only: size. Hopefully, Steele will adjust.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:51 pm

Know Paul has come to play so far. Even getting on the floor for balls
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”