Re: Marquette Thread

Postby muskieman » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:38 pm

muskieman wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:57 pm
X-lucidity wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:03 pm
thank you MM!
just wanted the X-ucidty household to have a happy wife
here is Xavier's version with Joe and Lark https://twitter.com/i/status/1340825174669545472 and https://twitter.com/i/status/1340792280580411393

and one from a different angle https://twitter.com/i/status/1340823679215624192
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
XU85

Postby XU85 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:34 pm

Did anyone else notice that in the celebration after the shot Odom had Kunkel in a tight embrace and thankfully stopped short of kissing him? Hopefully that means Odom is okay?
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:33 pm

XU85 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:34 pm
Did anyone else notice that in the celebration after the shot Odom had Kunkel in a tight embrace and thankfully stopped short of kissing him? Hopefully that means Odom is okay?
I think his status now is that he is no longer contagious, but I don’t think that excuses him not wearing a mask. He is being held out until his heart is given clearance.
#WHYNOTX?
MOSQUETERO

Postby MOSQUETERO » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:38 pm

muskieman wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:38 pm
muskieman wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:57 pm
X-lucidity wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:03 pm
thank you MM!
just wanted the X-ucidty household to have a happy wife
here is Xavier's version with Joe and Lark https://twitter.com/i/status/1340825174669545472 and https://twitter.com/i/status/1340792280580411393

and one from a different angle https://twitter.com/i/status/1340823679215624192
I think the guy from Fox calling the game was more emotional in calling Kunkel's shot. I'm going out on a limb and I'm going to say no one has watched the ending more than I have. Thanks Ed.
cincycanesfan

Postby cincycanesfan » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:26 am

Ok, so am I the only one that was happy AND pissed at the same time! That shot was amazing, and I Will remember it for a long time. However, being up 6, at home, with the ball, no way in hell should that have come down to the last possession. So while I was thrilled with the win, and could not be happier for AK and the team, how we got there the last 58 seconds had me losing my mind!
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:34 am

I agree, watching Carter continue to get the yeps at crunch time is concerning. Odom should help with ball handling but continuing to have Carter go to the line with game on the line will not work. Thanks goodness for Kunkel.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:49 am

Carter's yips at end game scenarios is concerning, especially for a Sr. but I believe the hidden issue is that X, for some reason this year with several new players in key roles, is HORRIFIC on inbounds plays. You name it, baseline under our bucket, baseline on other end when being zone pressed, sideline, we are a hot mess. Both those last two intentional fouls to send Carter to the line were because we simply could not free up a guard basic screening or V-cut techniques. Causing Carter, (who was our 4th option relief outlet), to have to sprint from half court to the free throw line to take the inbounds pass. So yes, take him out if you want, but Good Lord, we need to tighten up our entire repertoire of inbounds plays.
* Fortunately, that is something we should be able to easily improve upon as the season evolves.......
On to Creighton!!!
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:37 pm

Pleased that some are discussing the inbounding the ball issue. For years when X is up late in the game this seems to be an issue, especially in the front court and a sideline inbound. Often why I dislike when X calls a time out after crossing half-court, because of the subsequent butchering of the inbound. Pleased that Coach Steele did not do so at the end with the ball already in Paul Scruggs’ hands.

Heck, for the front court, sideline inbound return to a 7th Grade Stack play and the inbounding can easily be made. Basics ... Basics ... Basics, especially when the opponent will likely fouling the recipient anyway.
AirJordan

Postby AirJordan » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:59 pm

cincycanesfan wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:26 am
Ok, so am I the only one that was happy AND pissed at the same time! That shot was amazing, and I Will remember it for a long time. However, being up 6, at home, with the ball, no way in hell should that have come down to the last possession. So while I was thrilled with the win, and could not be happier for AK and the team, how we got there the last 58 seconds had me losing my mind!
Inbounds issues aside, I'm scared to death we will need Carter to make clutch free throws or hit a late game three this year. I acknowledge his late free throws beat UCONN last year but he seems to lose confidence so quickly and completely. After that late game performance against Marquette, now I've lost confidence in him. Also, I've looked at the replay of his foul on McEwen's three pointer. I don't think he fouled the guy but it seems like so stupid to challenge the shot so aggressively. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Carter is a senior with tons of experience but sometimes plays like an underclassman.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:52 am

muskieman wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:38 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:20 pm
Kunkel bails both out. Happy to see Tandy partake in the celebration. Carter is probably a sub 50% FT shooter dating back to last yr in last few minutes of close games. He is nervous in tight situations. Steele should know that Mquette is also pressing so why not bring in Jones for Carter? Even though he made both after missing the previous four, Steele should have called a t.o. to bring a better FT shooter in. I'll take the win. My weekly call with Steele this week will not be for the PG 13 and under crowd.
do they give you meds before or after you post? BTW Carter percentage from the line this year was 83+%
Mman,

How many times have I told you to use more than the blue crayon in the jumbo box of 24 I've given to you. During his year+ tenure with X, as I've stated, Carter is a poor ft shooter in the closing minutes of close games at the line. In the last two, he was 1-2 at UC, and 2-6 against Mquette. He was the same way last year. He just gets the yips. Some guys have ice water in their veins. He ain't one of them. Also as stated, he is a valuable player on the team with his defense, rebounding and passing, but he is a sub-par offensive player. Thankfully, he is not needed to be a primary scorer on this team.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”