Creighton game thread 12/23

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Re: Creighton game thread 12/23

Postby muskieman » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:50 pm

skyhops wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:26 pm
McDermott took Scruggs and Freemantel out of the game. Our bigs need to finish at the rim and not get the ball ten feet away from the hoop. Running a play for a three at the end of the game for Carter just shows how far Steele still has regarding end of game management.
Freemantle took Freemantle out of this game. When he plays smart and does not foul and he has more chances to score but everyone knows he is soft on D and has the ability to make fouls in dumb ways. You could name a dozen things today that made X lose but you focus on one guy that has been one of our better rebounders, especially toward the end of games, guards the rim better than any of our bigs, and is willing to do the little things (like make the good pass on cuts, boxing out). Less than a month ago you and your buddy were saying Paul was a handicap at the point
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:59 pm

Muskieman, Carter was out rebounded by Kunkel and Tandy which is not a good sign for a power forward. Why Steele would want our worst three point shooter go 0/5 in the second half is beyond me. Stanley was much more effective and should see more minutes. Getting out rebounded by a poor rebounding team does not say much for our front line. Feel free to continue to point out the little things that Carter does well if it makes you feel better.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:13 pm

Carter needs to limit his shooting. I doubt anyone would argue with that. He is still a valuable contributor in many ways and often makes the team better. Today, when the team is struggling to get buckets, and while Creighton also struggled, it makes more sense to go with another option.

Stanley did not appear to have a good shot from deep. 1 game so it is quite possible his range is better than what was displayed but he may not be the answer to Carter's shooting issues. Griffin seems to have no desire to shoot from outside so he might be a better option at various points in the game. Probably not at the end of the game when free throws or 3s are needed. In those situations I'd go with 4 guards.

I've been incredibly critical of players and coaches over the years. Never anything personal, just disagreements with decision making, style of play, etc. In my opinion constructive criticism is good. People are certainly right to voice concern over Carter's shooting as he simply takes too many shots when his percentages are so poor. Others are right to praise other aspects of Carter's game. He does need to rebound and protect the ball to warrant that praise. There is nothing in his stat line this game to warrant 30 minutes. Defense largely doesn't show in the stat line but I suspect Griffin's defense isn't that large a step back and his rebounding and shot blocking is superior.

Griffin and Tandy both should have gotten more minutes today. Both rebounded well and Tandy shot well from deep. It was generally just a bad game for both teams offensively. Tandy is not a great choice against aggressive defenses but Creighton is not that. Griffin has earned more minutes as he consistently rebounds and takes very few bad shots.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:34 pm

skyhops wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:59 pm
Muskieman, Carter was out rebounded by Kunkel and Tandy which is not a good sign for a power forward. Why Steele would want our worst three point shooter go 0/5 in the second half is beyond me. Stanley was much more effective and should see more minutes. Getting out rebounded by a poor rebounding team does not say much for our front line. Feel free to continue to point out the little things that Carter does well if it makes you feel better.
continue to hate on Carter if you think it makes you a big man. As for your rebounding comment, Jones outrebounded Freemantle so I don't get where you use that as a gotcha. I like Griffin a lot and would like to see him get more minutes but he has to show more off-ball moves. Today he was blocked and went into a shell. I give him a pass because he is new and I am sure he is still trying to absorb the system. Tandy just seems to be an enigma he has ability but at times he shows no aggressiveness. Today one shot, in particular, was when he got to the inside below the Foul line and then just looked like he was unsure and just lobbed a half-hearted shot at the basket.

I am starting to worry that madness and I are agreeing too often. ;) ;)
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:33 am

Deep breath everyone. For perspective, we are 8-1 and only lost to a very good team by a few points, in December with a limited offseason, no set rotation, no apparent offensive game plan and a lot of missed shots.

If we are having the same discussions a month from now, then I think we should be alarmed. This was a winnable game despite poor shooting and rebounding but we may need to expect that with the undersized lineup we have. Just hope Steele can put a scheme and rotation together soon.
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:15 am

Jesseandrippers wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:33 am
Deep breath everyone. For perspective, we are 8-1 and only lost to a very good team by a few points, in December with a limited offseason, no set rotation, no apparent offensive game plan and a lot of missed shots.

If we are having the same discussions a month from now, then I think we should be alarmed. This was a winnable game despite poor shooting and rebounding but we may need to expect that with the undersized lineup we have. Just hope Steele can put a scheme and rotation together soon.
Well stated.

In the Press Conference Coach Steele appeared to indicate they were still seeking analytics on performance/rotation. X lost to the #13 Team in the country, on the road, missing an open look final shot which could have sent the game to overtime. That, in a game when the opponent went 14-20 from the FT line and X only 5-7.

Yes, it was a winnable game and shortcomings were apparent. Yet, despite the flaws, the game was contested until the final possession. Agreed, plenty of work ahead, but the loss was disappointing, not devastating.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:29 am

If Steele is continuing to evaluate based on analytics and stats that will bode well for Tandy and Stanley after CU game. MM, enough with the “hate” talk regarding critiquing a game. If that is the case their are many Carter haters out there.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:29 am

skyhops wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:29 am
If Steele is continuing to evaluate based on analytics and stats that will bode well for Tandy and Stanley after CU game. MM, enough with the “hate” talk regarding critiquing a game. If that is the case their are many Carter haters out there.
too many Carter haters/bashers out there right now. you're not a real X fan if you're blaming him for this game or saying he should be in less/etc. EVERYONE missed open looks against CU. EVERYONE. Carter wasn't the only one. BUT, he is the only one on this team capable of guarding ANYONE on the opposing team. that's the truth. and the other fact is - we aren't even sniffing .500 without him this season. it's that simple.

lay off Carter. so he had a bad shooting day. so did EVERYONE else. you can name ANY other player who had open looks that normally go down and didn't we NEED him for this team to succeed. we don't need Griffin or Tandy or even Stanley (i believe he missed all his 3 pt attempts too) to take some of his minutes. only reason he played more than normal was because Freemantle got in his own head, couldn't play without fouling, so he had to sit more often.

lay off Carter. dude does so much for this team that doesn't show up in a boxscore.

let's go X.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:06 pm

It is important to separate "hate" from "critiquing". Carter had a lousy game, but was not alone. Nate finally came crashing down to Earth. Kunkel had a subpar shooting night. Big Ben made a few more defensive mental lapses and forced a couple shots early. Free was pressing and took several dumb forced shots, yet he had earned the right to take a few of those based on earlier play. Free needs to control his emotions more. Griffin missed a couple easy stick-backs in the 1st half. Tandy again proved he is NOT a PG, but can shoot it a bit. Colby was solid, but not spectacular. Wish we had this season to do over again for Wilcher. Another poster mentioned it wisely about a week ago, with Kunkel eligible, CJ could have used a redshirt season to acclimate to D-1 speed and refine his body. Now to the bright side:
- 8 and 1 with the one being a 'shoulda,woulda,coulda' versus a legit top twenty team on road.
- Missing our starting PG to boot.
- Colby looks like the real deal on both ends and will only continue to blossom before our eyes.
- Zach will learn from this, he is a true grinder gym rat with the heart of Tim Krumrie. (for you young 'uns, look him up)
- Kunkel & Nate J. may never both be cold in same game again.
- Oh, and we have the Scruggernaught all year, our bright shining North Star.
- Ben really took a big step forward from game 1 to yesterday, especially in the 2nd half. He can be a valuable alternative chess piece to Jason.
- Finally, speaking of Jason C. He is who he is. A very nice college player. Had a down game yesterday on both ends but has earned our applause year to date in playing solid D and rebounding. Our loss was not solely his doing. I want him shooting 1 or 2 three's each game "IF" wide open and after a couple passes on a given possession. Should he hit one of those 3's, then he has earned the right to shoot it again if wide stinking open. Oh for 5 is inexcusable, that we can agree.
* Not going to win 'em all. Learn, evolve - fight on....... I like this team
sweet67

Postby sweet67 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:13 pm

Crapping all over Carter after a tough game on his birthday.

This board reminds me of the Supreme Court. Ruthless.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”