its official - no easy games in the big east

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
jct1941

its official - no easy games in the big east

Postby jct1941 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:48 pm

I watched the DePaul vs. Providence game last night and it was a double overtime with Providence pulling it out. DePaul is not a push over by and measns XU almost has to win their HOME games to be in the hunt for a bid. The conferences (all of them) what ever team has the most players left at the end of the year will survive. Baylor and the Zags seem like the front runners right now unless Covid18 hits them. Go Xavier!
cincycanesfan

Re: its official - no easy games in the big east

Postby cincycanesfan » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:54 pm

I have been pleasantly surprised at how well some of the "other" teams have played so far as well. I would still say SJU and GTown are games we should win home and away, and be heavily favored in both. Outside of those bottom teams I have only seen UConn play once, but they should have beaten Creighton, so they will be a tough game as well.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:48 am

I attended the double OT gem against UConn in Charleston last year and UConn has most everyone back including Bouknight (sp?). I have seen parts of a couple of their games this year and they are tough. It is correct that we need to win every possible home game but just as important to win every away game we should and pick off one or two on the road where we are dogs.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:41 am

Won’t be easy tonight and I’m afraid that SH’s size will be a though matchup considering how soft Zach and Carter have played the last two games. We will need more Stanley and Griffin.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:25 pm

BE will probably get 4 teams in the tourney so there should be several easy games. If there are not numerous easy games then either the team is not very good or the coach is not very good.

In my opinion there is plenty of talent on the team with a diverse skillset. 1 weakness is a post player with offensive and defensive ability. This is a manageable weakness but the coach has to know how to manage it. Some games you go with offense over defense and other games you favor defense over offense on the block. At times you need to throw out the game plan and change strategies when it isn't working.

Find ways to double team the block if needed. Change between man and zone at times but man should be the dominant defense if you want players to make defense a personal challenge. Defense should always be personal. It is 100% effort. Yes some have advantages but with the exception of a few, college athletes are all capable of playing lock down defense if they want it.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:48 am

skyhops wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:41 am
Won’t be easy tonight and I’m afraid that SH’s size will be a though matchup considering how soft Zach and Carter have played the last two games. We will need more Stanley and Griffin.
Good call Karnac.

I thought X would engage defensively higher up to make SH's bigs catch it further from the basket, or play zone before the deficit ballooned to 20. TS said he looks forward to fixing it in practice, so I feel very good about that.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”