Seton Hall vs X Game thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
madness31

Re: Seton Hall vs X Game thread

Postby madness31 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:05 pm

Where is the self respect? Missing shots happens but there is never an excuse for not locking your man down. I don't care if he is taller, faster, stronger and more athletic. There is always another gear if you want it. Make that decision in your mind and lock him down.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:15 pm

What in the absolute F was that...?
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:22 pm

Embarrassing. Our shooters have wilted under and pressure from two good teams. I thought we were back in the Tay Baker days when we would feel great about losing by less than 20 points to a Marquee team. This should not happen.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:27 pm

I wish we wilted under pressure from good teams. X just flat out missed open shots the past 2 games. Could have been girl scouts playing defense.

Missing shots isn't the problem, inability to defend is the issue.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:39 pm

X was getting beat to the hole on dribble drives and sets where Mquette players were catching the ball in the lane. They went to zone, and slowed Mquette down. SH took a 20+ point lead before Steele finally went to zone. That's like using s sprinkler to a put out a burning house two hours after the fire started. Not exactly Tony Bennett-esque.

At least the strategy offensively was sound as Carter took the most threes in the game. It worked so well with Goodin last year. Pure coincidence SH was slow to close out on him anywhere outside of 22 inches. Stanly scored 12 points in only 12 minutes played, b/c X didn't need scoring this game. Steele's coaching is reverting back to the mean. Hopefully, the frosh develop and talent overcomes........................?
AirJordan

Postby AirJordan » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:19 pm

Ugly.

I hope this team is embarrassed because that was pretty much a beat down from midway first half on. Given size differential not sure why we didn't see more Stanley and Griffin. Two things stuck out as particularly bad - guard play and ineffective paint defense. SH operated with impunity once they got into the paint. The defense X played tonight won't beat anybody but DePaul, G-town and perhaps Butler.

Steele unable to stem the bleeding once Carter left game. If he made halftime adjustments whatever he attempted also didn't work---Muskies outworked and outmuscled. Steele seemed a bit lost and his inability to right the ship once things started going sideways reminds me of last year. Once the Muskies got far behind, they never seemed to regain any confidence---kind of what you'd expect from a young team. That, I think, is about coaching. Or, maybe I'm over-reacting to a bad loss.

Good game, at least initially, for Carter as I ragged on him last week. He stepped up tonight until.....

Let's see how this team responds to this ass-kicking whenever and whoever we next play. That will tell us something about the coaching staff and the team. We shall see.
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:28 am

Welp, the book is out on X. They are small and play smaller. Push them out of the way on offense and shove them to the perimeter on defense. Was hoping what I saw in some of the other games was an anomaly. I am worried it isnt.

Travis, time to make some adjustments. We arent a good enough shooting team to be heaving 3’s up all game.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”