Talk XU Men's basketball here...
DannyV76

Re: Seat is warming

Postby DannyV76 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:26 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:27 am
madness31 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:05 pm
Travis has this year and probably next to achieve results. He inherited a disaster and is just now playing with his players.

That being said, his use of timeouts and the team's awareness of when to use timeouts is concerning. The mediocre to bad defense is a huge concern and continues from the days Mack ran the team. In game adjustments are lacking. Rotations seem questionable.

Generally I like the recruits. Odom is a legit point but needs to improve his range. Jones is a solid all around player but certainly needs to develop his offense. Freemantle is an offensive force. Miles has potential to be big time but not quite ready. Tandy has had moments, not quite sure about him at the moment.

The transfers are legit. Griffin has earned more minutes. Carter does a bit of everything but shoots a bit too much from deep. Johnson has been fantastic with the exception of the last couple games. Kunkel has had moments but needs to be more consistent and man up on defense. Stanley can get buckets.

Recruiting is not enough to keep Travis if he can't coach at a high level. Looking at the 2 classes, he doesn't have enough to wow. Bringing in transfers is partially related to being left with too many holes and he did a great job of bringing in talent. Relying on transfers may be enough to give him a pass again this year but he needs to show in game coaching ability. He needs to be able to stop runs by the other team, calm X down, etc. He has enough talent to win. He has enough athleticism to play legit defense.

There is time for growth but Travis needs to start showing coaching ability. Sloppy turnovers and shot selection are dramatically improved from past seasons but the other issues remain. Improvement in those areas could be more about personnel than coaching.
Steele ain't a polished product but this is his third year. He has done a good, not great job this year, as he has two good wins, and almost lost to three bottom feeders. I agree there should be no talk about his seat being hot yet this year, but think if he misses the tourney, year four will be critical for him, as it should be. I loved Skip Prosser as a person, but he was one of the worst coaches at X in my 80 years of fandom. Travis is currently in Skip territory. Hopefully, he avoids falling into the quicksand.
Sorry Homer but i have to call BS on your " Skip being one of the worst X coaches in your 80 years of fandom". While his NCAAT record could have been better ( see Darnell Williams ACL injury lost year) Please Please go no further than his TWO victories over the #1 UC Bearcats.
That alone is more than enough to put him in a category all his own.
Now for "Worst X coaches, feel free to put Dick Bulldog Campbell and his 3-23 season in 72-73 at the top of that list, George Krajack, 4 seasons and never a whiff of a .500 year and maybe Tay Baker, 0-6 lifetime against UC.
PT71

Postby PT71 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:02 pm

I survived the Krajack years...we were bad! He didn't seem to know how to coach during games (sound familiar?)..our biggest win was in Feb '68 when we upset Marquette, with Al McGuire coaching and George Thompson pounding the boards, and what a scorer. Bob Quick and Thompson had a shootout...one scored 40 and the other scored 41. I remember Quick made something like 17 foul shots. They were ranked 8th in country then. We have always had trouble with Villanova, as I don't recall us ever beating them. Still following X basketball...go X!
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:20 pm

PT71 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:02 pm
I survived the Krajack years...we were bad! He didn't seem to know how to coach during games (sound familiar?)..our biggest win was in Feb '68 when we upset Marquette, with Al McGuire coaching and George Thompson pounding the boards, and what a scorer. Bob Quick and Thompson had a shootout...one scored 40 and the other scored 41. I remember Quick made something like 17 foul shots. They were ranked 8th in country then. We have always had trouble with Villanova, as I don't recall us ever beating them. Still following X basketball...go X!
Really?
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
PT71

Postby PT71 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:54 pm

Really? To what part of my entry??
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:49 pm

PT71 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:54 pm
You don’t recall us ever beating Nova? Yes we have beaten them at home in the Big East twice I think.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
PT71

Postby PT71 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:30 am

I was referring to during Krajack's tenure...I was an undergrad from '67 to '71.
yellow20xd

Postby yellow20xd » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:31 am

jct1941 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:48 pm
... Some posters listed Odom, Jones, and Wilcher as not living up to expectations but have only 10 games in on the season so lets see how they progress. The Big East is a tough conference and what lies ahead is going to tell us were we stand. Lets get behind the players and get some some wins. Go Xavier!
Couldn't have said it better... And mix in time lost to Covid-19... Dan
"The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood"...
Lou Holtz
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:35 pm

Everyone says what a great recruiter Steele is and how this was our best class, so i don’t think it is wrong to have high expectations for these players. Enough excuses this is Steeles third season with “his” players. What are we going to do next year for big men?
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:47 pm

Still trying to figure out which team X is-the one that beat down OU or got beaten down by Seton Hall.A win tonight will calm my fears a little of another trying season.Skip was a good recruiter but I always felt like his teams underachieved a little.Good coach but probably the least successful in the last 40 years.Steele could be headed that way too.I think he can recruit but need to see results on the court soon.Next year could be make or break for him if they miss the tournament again this year.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:15 pm

PT71 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:54 pm
https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college ... e2d6a.html
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”