It happens to the best of them

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
olsingledigit

It happens to the best of them

Postby olsingledigit » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:17 pm

Kansas lost on its HOME COURT 84-59 to Texas. So it happens to the best of them. Imagine how irate the Kansas fans must be? Admittedly Texas might be the best team in the country this year, but nevertheless, that does not happen to Kansas.

X fans should chill on firing or executing Steele.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
skyhops

Re: I happens to the best of them

Postby skyhops » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:10 pm

Not sure I would compare Kansas and Xavier especially the past three years. I’m not content with getting blown out at home.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:00 pm

skyhops wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:10 pm
Not sure I would compare Kansas and Xavier especially the past three years. I’m not content with getting blown out at home.
and I dare say Kansas fans are not content with their team getting blown out... in fact what fan would be happy after their team is blown out and Antihomer doesn't count?
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:42 am

Getting blown out at home will bother any fan. I am still am a Steele guy. I think he has the players to compete this year. Unfortunately, they do lack a big-particularly on defense. Rebounding is a challenge. My concern is that the blueprint on beating X is there. Crowd the 3 point shooters and see if the bigs can beat you. Steele needs to adjust the offense to get shots for their shooters. Teams defending them at the arc so X is shooting 3 feet beyond in many cases or having to rush the shot. St. Johns should be a good game for X provided they can handle pressure. X should get better shots. Butler is not good this year and gave Seton Hall all they could handle. I honestly believe it was just a horrid game by X vs Seton Hall (at least i hope so) but these next few games are huge. X needs to steal a couple on the road.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:34 pm

Agree for most part with X-pert. Horrific looking loss. Zero way to sugarcoat that performance and result. Having watched it unfold though, in front of my shocked and dismayed eyes, I come away with three primary thoughts that led to that debacle. 1) we are soft. A known coming in that, especially in the post, X would struggle against real men on the glass. 2) Steele needs to decide on a core 9 players and establish a rotation / identify quickly. He can sprinkle in the rest here and there but right now it seems every game has been a lab experiment.
3) I’ve watched and been around bball for a long time. Some games just spiral off the rails and one team will collectively ride a tidal wave at the same time the other team collectively puckers. Seton Hall rode a sudden burst of momentum and were “juiced” as I have not seen in a while. Sure X helped that cause with loose D but again, the Hall fed off each other like piranha on a fresh carcass.
I will allow this once per yr. ok Steele, zip this crap up...
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:43 pm

Agree with both posts. It is time to shorten the rotation and not sub in 3 or 4 players when we have the lead and momentum. I was afraid that our rebounding and lack of defense in the post will hurt us vs larger big east teams. Also, just as important is having the right players take the correct three point shots. I really feel we will need to find away to get KyKy involved and a big from the bench. Tandy was one of our highest recruits and also all big east frosh and I'm afraid if he isn't a big part of this team he will walk after the end of the year.
cincycanesfan

Postby cincycanesfan » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:23 am

Seems strange that a few weeks ago we were too thin, and now we have too many players to rotate in during a game! SHU was an interesting match up for X. I remember the announcer saying that they were the 3rd tallest/longest team in CBB, did anyone else hear that? With that being the case I found it odd that we did not go bigger at times, and if Miles cannot get some PT in that game, will he play at all this season? I know it was against weaker teams, but I liked what I saw from him in the first few games, so I am curious as to why he gets zero PT these days, especially in a game like SHU where what we were doing was clearly not working.

Lastly, Texas does look good this year, and I am happy for Smart as he seems like a good dude. However, the clear #1 team in the nation this year is Gonzaga. Not only are they insanely talented, but they play a beautiful style of basketball and their players are very unselfish. Adding suggs to what was already going to be a top team is almost unfair, and I would be shocked if anyone beats them this year.
MOSQUETERO

Postby MOSQUETERO » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:53 pm

Does anyone here remember losing to LaSalle 80-49 at home during the 1999-2000? I remember it was on a Sunday and I was rushing to the Gardens to watch the game. In a season we knocked off #1 Cincinnati.
edgecliff hall

Re: It happens to the best of them

Postby edgecliff hall » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:27 am

I can't even remember yesterday.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:55 am

MOSQUETERO wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:53 pm
Does anyone here remember losing to LaSalle 80-49 at home during the 1999-2000? I remember it was on a Sunday and I was rushing to the Gardens to watch the game. In a season we knocked off #1 Cincinnati.
I do remember that game, only because it is one of the very very few times in my many years of following X BB that I believe that the team quit during a game.
#WHYNOTX?

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”