Xavier Is Better Than A Lot Of People Thought

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
WestCoastMuskie

Re: Xavier Is Better Than A Lot Of People Thought

Postby WestCoastMuskie » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:59 pm

I don't see it. Our offense is horrible. No ball movement and no off-ball movement. And I made the same point last year, but when you cannot shoot, it seeps into your defensive effort. We have recruited shooters, but they have collectively gotten worse instead of developing. That tells me they are not being coached.

Since we cannot shoot, there is no spacing, and there is no incentive for a defense to do anything more than just lock up the paint, taking away Scruggs penetration. And out bigs are not big enough to score on Big East big men. I was pulling my hair our watching Freemantle go one on 4 in the paint, with the four perimeter players all stationary planted at the 3-point line.

Can anytime tell me what happened to Tandy? It's not like he was an poverties-hyped recruit like say, Churchill Odia. He was on the all-Freshman team. He's almost a certain goner with this playing time. With development and a chance, I think he could have been all-timer.
finalfourorbust

Postby finalfourorbust » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:36 am

skyhops wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:47 am
The play of Odom and Jones was very encouraging last night, but the amount of senseless turnovers by some of our veteran players was concerning. St. Johns is not a good team and for 30 minutes we played about as bad as a team can play at home. Steele finally realized it was time to play a zone, which should have been played earlier on vs a poor shooting team that mainly scores on dribble drives. If we play the way we have the last couple games we will finish at the bottom of the conference.
Xavier played man to man in the 1st half and gave up 27 points. They started incorporating the zone in the 2nd half and gave up 34 points. Which was more effective?
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:36 am

Really? The zone won the game for Xavier too bad it took Steele 25 mins to figure it out.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”