St Johns vs Xavier 1.6.2021

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Re: St Johns vs Xavier 1.6.2021

Postby muskieman » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:15 pm

sweet67 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:06 pm
The Johnnies are putrid offensively. Goodness.
averaging 80+ points a game this season. Might have been the zone
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:24 pm

If you tell me that X has four guys in double figures I'd believe one would be Paul and maybe Carter but Jones and Odom instead of Freemantle (5) and Johnson(2) would be a surprise. They won this one on the boards 57-40. Freemantle hit some foul shots but surprised nothing from the field
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:52 pm

sweet67 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:12 pm
Our Muskies will roll.

The Johnnies aren't very good and haven't played in 2.5 weeks.

This one will get ugly.
I had an obligation so will have to watch the play back. Hope you're right Sweet. However, perceptions can be misleading. For example, my co-favorite college team in town got beat by the 4th best team in their league with 10 starters sitting out. Usually, guys that sit out do so b/c they have NFL aspirations. I thought my boys would roll by 3-4 TDs playing a team with a diluted roster (reference: FLA with a bunch of starters out getting rolled by OKL). Unfortunately my heart was broken due to poor time management.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:56 pm

Scruggs is mostly a calming force on the court. Certainly still has momentarily lapses but perfection in basketball is not really an option.

Carter is another fairly dependable player. He will miss too many shots but he will also defend, rebound and get after loose balls.

Odom and Jones are 2 additional pieces that are key to a successful season. Both are capable defenders and value the basketball. They generally understand the game and their skillset.

Johnson has been the key to wins as his shooting makes X difficult to guard. His recent shooting draught has lead to losses. Today, X found a way to win without Johnson. That is partly because St Johns is not a great team but also partly because Odom and Jones found ways to be effective offensively.

This game also showed that when Freemantle struggles offensively, giving minutes to Griffin and Carter together can yield good results. Freemantle rebounded well but his defense is not good. The inbounds play where Freemantle allowed the guy to catch the ball at the rim was beyond pathetic. Griffin has long arms and is willing to bang so if Free is not scoring, he is a good option at the 5.

The combination of Jones and Odom finding ways to score and increased minutes for Griffin at the expense of Freemantle are keys to this win.

This game should be used as a template for the core lineup.

Tandy and Kunkel are options only when hot or potentially at end of games to secure the win (free throws) or in desperation.

When Freemantle struggles offensively, sit him more.

Scruggs, Johnson, Jones and Odom get the bulk of minutes 1 through 3.

Griffin is a legit option to play.

This theory will need validated against better competition but I believe X finishes top 3 in BE if they follow this formula.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:45 am

anyone hear how Ben is doing after knocking knees? Didn't come back into the game.
sweet67

Postby sweet67 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:19 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:52 pm
sweet67 wrote:
Our Muskies will roll.

This one will get ugly.
I had an obligation so will have to watch the play back. Hope you're right Sweet. However, perceptions can be misleading. For example, my co-favorite college team in town got beat by the 4th best team in their league with 10 starters sitting out. Usually, guys that sit out do so b/c they have NFL aspirations. I thought my boys would roll by 3-4 TDs playing a team with a diluted roster (reference: FLA with a bunch of starters out getting rolled by OKL). Unfortunately my heart was broken due to poor time management.
Even though college football is out of our scope as X fans, I follow it pretty closely. Especially the locals.

If I recall, UC was missing:

Wiggins: 2nd team All American safety
Gardner: 2nd team All American corner
Doaks: 1st team All conference RB
Renfro: starting center

Some would argue UC was more short-handed than UGA.

Still it was a great game between two top 10 teams with NFL talent all over the field.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:37 am

some quick observations from what i got to see of this game:

1. Freemantle looked outmatched and lost last night. not sure why but SJU length, speed, athleticism, etc. gave him fits.

2. our rebounding.......wow. our turnovers.............not so 'wow', but SJU forces them at one of the highest rates in the country.

3. 2-3 zone.......SJU had no answer for it.

4. Carter is so important to this team. we would be below .500 without him. it's that simple. 15 boards??? are you kidding me? dude is the GLUE that keeps this team together. yes, he needs to be better at FT's but whatever.

5. take the W and move on.

LET'S GO X
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:01 pm

sweet67 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:19 am
Anti-Homer wrote:
sweet67 wrote:
Our Muskies will roll.

This one will get ugly.
Even though college football is out of our scope as X fans, I follow it pretty closely. Especially the locals.

Still it was a great game between two top 10 teams with NFL talent all over the field.
GA missing over ten players and UC missing 4. Tulsa got rolled by Miss St (4-7 record) tells you a lot about AAC football. at end of year only top 25 team UC beat was Tulsa who after the Miss St game were out of top 25. Not a top 10 team.
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:14 pm

sweet67 wrote:
Our Muskies will roll.

This one will get ugly.
You were right.That was painful but at least we won.First win without making a 3 in 20 years.Plus 19 turnovers.Glad to see Jones and Odom step up. Would be nice if we could get something from Kunkel or Tandy.What has happened to Johnson?
sweet67

Postby sweet67 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:29 pm

X-Expert wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:01 pm
sweet67 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:19 am
Anti-Homer wrote:

GA missing over ten players and UC missing 4. Tulsa got rolled by Miss St (4-7 record) tells you a lot about AAC football. at end of year only top 25 team UC beat was Tulsa who after the Miss St game were out of top 25. Not a top 10 team.
Which 10 players were missing for Georgia?

Does Indiana losing to a 4-5 Ole Miss team tell you a lot about the B10? What does Seton Hall getting blistered by Rhode Island tell you Big East basketball?

Come on. Be better.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”