St Johns vs Xavier 1.6.2021

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
kyzrex

Re: St Johns vs Xavier 1.6.2021

Postby kyzrex » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:16 pm

Totally off subject of the BB game but....

College football bowl games usually mean nothing. UC was missing 2 ALL-AMERICAN players and, after their left tackle made a boneheaded play, 2 starters on the offensive line, and their starting middle linebacker and came within 3 seconds of beating a very good Georgia team. Was UC a top 4 team with those players? No. But they were at top 10 team.

Back on subject of the BB game....

I’m starting to believe that the 3 point slump is partly other teams overplaying them for the 3, and is partly a lack of confidence on the part of some players. Saw a couple of times where the X players hesitated or double clutched before shooting and missing. The overplaying is keeping the players from stepping into the shot, but gives them some opportunities for back door players or for a fake and a drive. In the post game show, Steele said that they weren’t making the extra pass that had been doing earlier, and thus they were taking shots under pressure. Something to watch for in the next game.
#WHYNOTX?
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:07 am

Agreed that some threes seemed rushed but it is pretty easy for teams to realize that Kunkel, Tandy, and Johnson are mainly going to shoot threes. I like Kunkel shooting mid range jumpers that he rarely misses. Johnson is just in a slump and needs to hit a few easy shots to gain confidence.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:46 pm

sweet67 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:29 pm
X-Expert wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:01 pm
sweet67 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:19 am

Even though college football is out of our scope as X fans, I follow it pretty closely. Especially the locals.

If I recall, UC was missing:

Wiggins: 2nd team All American safety
Gardner: 2nd team All American corner
Doaks: 1st team All conference RB
Renfro: starting center

Some would argue UC was more short-handed than UGA.

Still it was a great game between two top 10 teams with NFL talent all over the field.
GA missing over ten players and UC missing 4. Tulsa got rolled by Miss St (4-7 record) tells you a lot about AAC football. at end of year only top 25 team UC beat was Tulsa who after the Miss St game were out of top 25. Not a top 10 team.
Which 10 players were missing for Georgia?

Does Indiana losing to a 4-5 Ole Miss team tell you a lot about the B10? What does Seton Hall getting blistered by Rhode Island tell you Big East basketball?

Come on. Be better.
Sorry i insulted your Bear kittens but being objective. They played no one unless you consider Tulsa a top team. UCfootball could be good next year but they will always have that stink of a horrible schedule. They were undefeated this year and still had a SOS of around 75. Coastal Carolina who was around 78 had the same record going into the bowl game.I wish they would have played.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:27 pm

sweet67 wrote:
Anti-Homer wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:52 pm
sweet67 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:12 pm
Our Muskies will roll.

The Johnnies aren't very good and haven't played in 2.5 weeks.

This one will get ugly.
I had an obligation so will have to watch the play back. Hope you're right Sweet. However, perceptions can be misleading. For example, my co-favorite college team in town got beat by the 4th best team in their league with 10 starters sitting out. Usually, guys that sit out do so b/c they have NFL aspirations. I thought my boys would roll by 3-4 TDs playing a team with a diluted roster (reference: FLA with a bunch of starters out getting rolled by OKL). Unfortunately my heart was broken due to poor time management.
Even though college football is out of our scope as X fans, I follow it pretty closely. Especially the locals.

Interesting.

You say college football is out of the scope of X fans, yet here we are, you and I, avid X fans also being diehard UC football fans. Comparing them is called an analogy. I love your logic about my Cats missing two guys who may be able to play in a major conference, compared to 10+ standouts who already do with the GA sit-outs. Unfortunately, an All-Conference player in the AAC can’t be measured with the same stick as the best conference in cfb, since Doak’s well-deserved award (yes, AH is a big fan) was bestowed in a league that includes putrid (your word) teams like S Fla, Navy, Temple….please don’t force me to go on. Even the best teams in our league melted like a popsicle on Mman’s radiator.

UCF lost to BYU by four touchdowns. Though we only squeaked by UCF, I still contend we’d still be able to give BYU a competitive game.
Houston lost to 5-4 Hawaii by a score of 28-14.
Even Tulsa, the 2nd best team in our league whom we beat with a last-second FG at home, lost to the putrid (your word) 3-7 Miss State, 28-26.
Thankfully, Memphis, the 3rd best team in our conference beat Florida Atlantic 25-10. Great resume builder for our league as FAU was one of the better mid-major teams in the country.

What makes my head hurt though is when people say the impact of having a double-digit number of players (even though they were only the 3rd best team in the SEC behind Ala and A & M) sit out as Florida did was manifested by a shellacking to another major non-Top Ten football team like OKL by five touchdowns. Five touchdowns. Florida is the same team who beat Georgia by 16. Some said the same thing would have happened to GA if they played a major opponent. I think we are. There are not five mid-major football teams better than us, in my humble estimation. I deplore these cheap shots, even when rooted in logic. This thread depresses me, so I want to end on a good note.

Sweet, let’s meet up when UC goes through the AAC gauntlet of their conference schedule next year with one of the murderous row teams like S. Fla or E. Carolina. However, you pay for the uber, and I’ll buy the beer and soft pretzels. It’s mayhem trying to get home after a UC game, as traffic delays my commute by at least 3-4 minutes each time. I also will not put up with any posters on this board that state that Xavier has won as many games against Top 25 MAJOR football teams in their collective storied histories. #TruthhurtsAH

Still it was a great game between two top 10 teams with NFL talent all over the field.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:32 pm

skyhops wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:19 pm
Johnson needs to get his shot back
Agreed,

But despite his recent struggles, he is still shooting 49% from 3.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:36 pm

He hardly played the second half and has really struggled in the last three games
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:43 pm

AirJordan wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:47 pm
sweet67 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:12 pm
Our Muskies will roll.

The Johnnies aren't very good and haven't played in 2.5 weeks.

This one will get ugly.
Prescient of you but maybe in a different way than you thought. That was an ugly first half and I keep asking myself why, if SJU isn't very good and has not played in 17 days, why is this game tied? Not only is it tied but there was a point (with SJU up by five) when I feared a run would take X out----just like Seton Hall.

I have long argued that Steele will soon start to look like a veteran coach. I believe that most people promoted into big jobs, simply aren't ready and need time to hone their craft, gain confidence and get better. If you allow an adequate amount of time (assuming you picked the right guy in the first place) patience will be rewarded. I believe that and accordingly, with guys like Steele, I we just have to grit your teeth and give him time.

So, I thought with our early season win streak that, finally, finally Steele is arriving. But, after two straight losses, one of them a really bad one, and now another ugly beginning, I'm losing confidence in my position. And I'm losing confidence in Steele. Most importantly, our team seems to lack confidence; in our coach and in each other. We continue to jack three-balls, even as SJU extends its defense. We miss free throws, don't defend the paint, commit dumb (really dumb) turnovers, make horrible mental mistakes like stepping in the lane early nullifying made free throws, set moving screens and keep running in guys, like Tandy, for a just a few minutes and pull him out again before he can even get into the flow of the game. We make the same dumb mistakes game after game. Is our coach adding any value to this team? There is talent on this team; way more talent than the team they are playing.
There is talent on this team; way more talent than the team they are playing.
Agree 1000%. X's schedule has been very pedestrian to date, and very easily could include 4 losses by now. They've only played two good (OKL & Mquette) and one decent team in SH, who embarrassed us at Cintas. I too don't have great confidence in Steele, as he is in his third year, and one would think there would be an identity and more consistency by now. The pandemic definitely affects their rhythm, but all teams face the same interruptions. I think Creighton and Nova set as many screens per game, as X does in 5. Heck of a recruiter though. I think Jones and Odom will be a top backcourt in this league by their jr years. One concern is his management of the most talented two scorers on the team in Tandy. I get that he takes dumb shots, and is a poor defender, but the description can be said of Free, and he gets a much longer leash. I think we're on the verge of losing him. Hope not.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:46 pm

madness31 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:56 pm
Scruggs is mostly a calming force on the court. Certainly still has momentarily lapses but perfection in basketball is not really an option.

Carter is another fairly dependable player. He will miss too many shots but he will also defend, rebound and get after loose balls.

Odom and Jones are 2 additional pieces that are key to a successful season. Both are capable defenders and value the basketball. They generally understand the game and their skillset.

Johnson has been the key to wins as his shooting makes X difficult to guard. His recent shooting draught has lead to losses. Today, X found a way to win without Johnson. That is partly because St Johns is not a great team but also partly because Odom and Jones found ways to be effective offensively.

This game also showed that when Freemantle struggles offensively, giving minutes to Griffin and Carter together can yield good results. Freemantle rebounded well but his defense is not good. The inbounds play where Freemantle allowed the guy to catch the ball at the rim was beyond pathetic. Griffin has long arms and is willing to bang so if Free is not scoring, he is a good option at the 5.

The combination of Jones and Odom finding ways to score and increased minutes for Griffin at the expense of Freemantle are keys to this win.

This game should be used as a template for the core lineup.

Tandy and Kunkel are options only when hot or potentially at end of games to secure the win (free throws) or in desperation.

When Freemantle struggles offensively, sit him more.

Scruggs, Johnson, Jones and Odom get the bulk of minutes 1 through 3.

Griffin is a legit option to play.

This theory will need validated against better competition but I believe X finishes top 3 in BE if they follow this formula.
Great take.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:49 pm

sweet67 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:29 pm
X-Expert wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:01 pm
sweet67 wrote:

GA missing over ten players and UC missing 4. Tulsa got rolled by Miss St (4-7 record) tells you a lot about AAC football. at end of year only top 25 team UC beat was Tulsa who after the Miss St game were out of top 25. Not a top 10 team.
Which 10 players were missing for Georgia?

Does Indiana losing to a 4-5 Ole Miss team tell you a lot about the B10? What does Seton Hall getting blistered by Rhode Island tell you Big East basketball?

Come on. Be better.
Which 10 players were missing for Georgia
?

Watch football games on Sunday next year. Most of them will be playing.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”