Providence vs X game thread 1.10.21

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Re: Providence vs X game thread

Postby muskieman » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:01 pm

All the missed free throws would make this score look a lot better.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:04 pm

Nice Coach's call to insert Jones... Great play call by Travis...Nice passes by Kunkel and Paul.. We now have Kunkel and Colby as a game hero
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:07 pm

As far as personnel goes, X is in great hands with this group of freshman and sophomores like Tandy. Definitely aided by the travel call on Prov., but no one call defines a game. Solid win. When Carter limits his shots to 3 feet and in, he is a ++.
sweet67

Postby sweet67 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:09 pm

Great W. Felt we got outplayed but caught all the breaks.

Keys to the game:

Odom jumper in half 1, no contact but sent to the line. 2 free points.

The travel call instead of the block on Kunkel. 2 free points.

Those 4 points were the difference.

Both teams shot roughly the same amount of 2s and 3s, but X was sent to the line 16 times versus 6 for the Friars.

I'll take it.
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:23 pm

sweet67 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:09 pm
Great W. Felt we got outplayed but caught all the breaks.

Keys to the game:

Odom jumper in half 1, no contact but sent to the line. 2 free points.

The travel call instead of the block on Kunkel. 2 free points.

Those 4 points were the difference.

Both teams shot roughly the same amount of 2s and 3s, but X was sent to the line 16 times versus 6 for the Friars.

I'll take it.
Was there really a foul by Scruggs when X had the trap with 53 seconds to go? If they ran a replay to clearly determine, I missed it. Possibly the ref knew that was a shaky call, which lead to the travel call.
X-lucidity

Re: Providence vs X game thread 1.10.21

Postby X-lucidity » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:28 pm

Chitown may have a point. Honestly, SCREW that last traveling call. If your not going to call a charge or block, then it was traveling. As for charge or block? I would say a bit lucky there as I saw it as 60% block, 40% charge chance. But X got screwed on call before where Scruggs stole the ball. Did he bump him, yes a bit, but the Prov player brought the ball up high into no-mans land. Calls even out, shut up and find a way to win. X did. At least on this fortunate day.
Huge, Huge- HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGEE win. As the home "L" would have been catastrophic...
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:08 pm

Don't worry about the "foul" because X will not get any home cooking when they go to Providence. The next two games are on the road with Seton Hall and UConn. Time for a run
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:50 pm

The travel call could have very easily have been a charge. We did not do a good job on Duke or Watson and still won. Disappointed in Scruggs D on Duke he couldn't guard him. Still can't believe Steele is not playing Tandy and he might not last this season.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:25 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:07 pm
As far as personnel goes, X is in great hands with this group of freshman and sophomores like Tandy. Definitely aided by the travel call on Prov., but no one call defines a game. Solid win. When Carter limits his shots to 3 feet and in, he is a ++.
agree on the Frosh. wouldn't count on Tandy being here much longer. body language on the bench the whole game was TERRIBLE and heard from reliable source that he unfollowed all X related social media. not a good look.

we were "aided" by the travel call sounds like it was a gift call. it wasn't, because if it wasn't a travel then it was an offensive foul. contact on Kunkel and him sliding that 2nd foot were basically simultaneous so either call would have been the right one.

so happy for Jones and this whole team.

let's go!
PT71

Postby PT71 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:38 am

Travel call at end of game was right call...pay attention to Prov players feet...he shuffles them, likely trying to avoid contact....great call, which many officials would pass on.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”