Providence vs X game thread 1.10.21

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Re: Providence vs X game thread 1.10.21

Postby muskieman » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:30 pm

PT71 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:38 am
Travel call at end of game was right call...pay attention to Prov players feet...he shuffles them, likely trying to avoid contact....great call, which many officials would pass on.
I agree. I watch it a number of times and if not a travel it was a charge.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:47 pm

I'll third that take, charge if not a travel. Certainly a close call but believe the refs got it right.

I agree with the in game takes that Free should have been pulled. Griffin and Carter are playing well together, it makes no sense giving Free such a long leash when he is playing poorly. It worked out ok this time but X might have won easily had Travis pulled him.

A couple nice shots by Wilcher but he is not quite ready. Possibly just nerves given his limited game minutes but knocking down those shots should have calmed him.

Was a disappointing game for Scruggs. Felt like he forced some shots trying to make up for Duke 3s. Obviously didn't play great D and then made it worse by making poor decisions on the other end. I expect a better performance next time the teams meet.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:21 pm

madness31 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:47 pm
I'll third that take, charge if not a travel. Certainly a close call but believe the refs got it right.

I agree with the in game takes that Free should have been pulled. Griffin and Carter are playing well together, it makes no sense giving Free such a long leash when he is playing poorly. It worked out ok this time but X might have won easily had Travis pulled him.

A couple nice shots by Wilcher but he is not quite ready. Possibly just nerves given his limited game minutes but knocking down those shots should have calmed him.

Was a disappointing game for Scruggs. Felt like he forced some shots trying to make up for Duke 3s. Obviously didn't play great D and then made it worse by making poor decisions on the other end. I expect a better performance next time the teams meet.
while Free was frustrating he did make an important shot in the last minutes of the game.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:16 pm

madness31 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:47 pm

I agree with the in game takes that Free should have been pulled.
I like Free a lot, but he did a lot of stat padding during games against bottom feeders (save one in OKL). Since league play, all his numbers (points, overall shooting percentage, A/O - though he has always been turnover prone) have dipped. He also takes too many, ill advised shots. I get that their depth in the post is limited, but Griffin only gets 10 min/game, and is the best rebounder and low post defender on the team. Carter is the most versatile and best overall post defender, but in the low post, 5 feet and in, it's Griffin. I like Free very much, but I think his pt should be around 20-22 min a game, or about 6x more than Tandy gets since Kunkel and Jones became eligible.

I really like Kunkel, but his 3 point shooting is 25% vs 37% by Tandy. He plays at least twice as much as Tandy. Neither are great defenders, though Kunkel is better at facilitating, but nothing he does is enough to warrant the great PT discrepancy. Steele is going to lose the best pure scorer on the team due to his management of him (didn't say mis,-m, b/c AH likes to gather all facts 1st). One thing that is very bothersome is when Tandy hit two threes in about 3 minutes in the 1st half (perhaps against SH - can't remember) and was pulled. And he will never be the worst defender on the team as long as Free is here. X needs to bring Jason Love in to work with Free on D.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:38 pm

My opinion on Tandy is much lower than yours.

You can’t remember because it didn’t happen. Whilcher hit 2 three pointers in the 1st half against Providence, not Tandy.

Tandy played 15 minutes against SH, went 1-5 overall, 1-3 from behind the line, and scored 3 points. He played 3 minutes against SJU and scored 2 points, went 0-2 from behind the line. He didn’t play against Providence.

18 total minutes in 2 games played. 5 points scored. 2-8 overall and 1-5 from behind the line.

And.....0 assists. 0 free throws.

He ain’t scoring, and he’s not helping others score either.
#WHYNOTX?
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:21 am

100% agree with Anti. Steele is going to lose one of the best scorers and shooters we have had in a while and this is on Steele. You can’t not play an all big East frosh and give his minutes to Kunkel who really hasn’t shot well as year and doesn’t play much defense. We are losing Johnson and Scruggs next year and will need Tandy. His defense is poor, but can’t be worse than Free’s.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:23 am

skyhops wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:21 am
100% agree with Anti. Steele is going to lose one of the best scorers and shooters we have had in a while and this is on Steele. You can’t not play an all big East frosh and give his minutes to Kunkel who really hasn’t shot well as year and doesn’t play much defense. We are losing Johnson and Scruggs next year and will need Tandy. His defense is poor, but can’t be worse than Free’s.
can't blame Steele if the player isn't willing to work to get better, adjust their game, and improve on being an "all-around" player. that's on Tandy. Kunkel has been just fine on D and even though he may not be shooting unreal, he doesn't turn it over, he passes well, and how many times have we seen him shot fake a 3, get by his defender, and hit a mid-range J? i'd say plenty. haven't seen KyKy do any of that all year. KyKy's problem is he is all or nothing right now. if he's not hitting 3's he has NO IDEA how to contribute in other ways. until he figures that out, other dudes are going to play in front of him. add this latest "injury" to him and it's not looking good. if he's willing to WORK for his minutes, to change his game and adapt, then by all means, play him more. but a coach can't play dudes "just because". that's how you lose the lockerroom. you preach team ball, playing hard, competing in practice, etc and that's how you earn your minutes - if Steele does this and then plays Tandy, who's not EARNING it, how does that look to the rest of the team? that's how you lose a lockerroom. Tandy can start working his a$$ off (when healthy), prove he deserves to be out there, then earn it when he's productive on the floor. otherwise, one dude ain't bigger than the team.

and i say all this being 100% in on NOT wanting Tandy to leave.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:45 am

Kyky - interesting topic. I have to side with the Long living 'Skip here. Stats are one thing, real basketball is another. In detailing this, I also was to add the disclaimer that I love our young Mr. Tandy. Appreciate his commit when so many wanted his services. I really would like him to work through this and blossom as so many X players have done in the past come their Junior & Senior season. (see J-Love or James Farr!) That said, watch these games and put the stats on the back burner when comparing Kyky to The Kunk. Kunkel has an idea of what to do as he is catching each pas thrown to him. Shoot it? Pass it? Drive it? Shot fake or ball fake it? Then he does it quickly which facilitates the flow of the offense and keeps the ball popping. That comes from more experience and a natural gift of basketball acumen. No knock on Tandy, but he is slower in reacting to a received pass and also does not seem to be moving as quickly or instinctively without the ball. While I agree, neither are going to win any defensive POY awards, I feel Kunkel moves his feet well on D and gets more deflections. I honestly feel Kyky could really enhance his game if he looked to Adam as a role model on how a "scorer" can enhance his impact on the floor even when the "3" is not falling. Kunkel also draws more fouls and gets to the FT line more, that is not an accident. As far as Steele in concerned or to blame, I have no clue, but it is incumbent upon the coaching staff to communicate, in a respectful and caring way, what Kyky can do to grow and contribute. Takes two to tango though as they say. If I were running this team, Kunkel would be in my top 7 and playing significant minutes...
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:21 pm

How do you know what Tandy can or can't do when he gets a DNP one game and barely plays in some others. If Tandy leaves it will be on Steele as well. Can't let a talent like that leave. That is on the coach as well as player.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:20 pm

skyhops wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:21 pm
How do you know what Tandy can or can't do when he gets a DNP one game and barely plays in some others. If Tandy leaves it will be on Steele as well. Can't let a talent like that leave. That is on the coach as well as player.

The players can participate in up to 20 hours per week of organized team activities that include games, practice, film study, one on one instruction. A game day function counts for 3 hours (no matter how much time it actually takes). Xavier has played 5 games in the last 37 days (a little over 5 weeks). So the Xavier coaches have been able to evaluate his performer for 85 total NON-GAME hours just in the last 5 weeks.

I would guess that they will certainly have a better handle on what he can, and can not do....or more importantly what he actually does and does not do.....than we can tell from the amount of game time play we have seen.

He’s had ample opportunities to show the people that count what he can do.
#WHYNOTX?

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”