Free v KyKy

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
kyzrex

Re: Free v KyKy

Postby kyzrex » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:55 pm

There were a couple of times during the game where Freemantle, a 6’8” 230 lb forward beat everyone on the X team down the floor for either an easy basket or a good defensive play....that’s one reason he is playing and KyKy isn’t.

As far as KyKy being a “proven talent”? Making the all-freshman team isn’t proof of anything. His competition in HS was NOT super tough either. He hasn’t shown that he can either produce points against top competition on a consistent basis, game after game, or that he is willing to do the little things...setting picks, playing good help defense, making the smart pass, etc.....that don’t always show up in the stats. The coaches track those kind of things in practice though and can see what exactly he is and isn’t doing during that time. I’ve yet to hear from the coaching staff that he is excelling in practice and has earned playing time. So I’d say that he still had a lot to prove. I hope he does.
#WHYNOTX?
madness31

Postby madness31 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:28 pm

Depth is definitely an issue in the post but Free does get a longer leash than he should. It is great that he works so hard and hustles up and down the court but he has bad stretches where he becomes a liability for the team. He eventually played out of 1 of those stretches last game but coach should have pulled him in my opinion.

Griffin may not have the height of a traditional center but he has long arms making him a solid post option. The team seemed to do better with Griffin & Carter on the floor at the same time. That isn't always the case but when it is, they should get the bulk of the minutes. When Free has his offense going, he is likely the better option but when it isn't, the other 2 simply do more to help the team. All 3 need rest and fouls are obviously a consideration so they should all continue to log sizeable minutes. The team will probably play 4 wings at times too.

Tandy has upside as mentioned but he has generally not made good decisions while in there. Kunkel has also made questionable decisions at times but he also came up big in a couple close games so maybe there is a reason for his longer leash? Tandy likely believes he needs to score to earn minutes. That is certainly what I've seen from him when he gets on the court. That mindset is not helping him earn minutes as he is getting shots blocked, not finding teammates and forcing difficult shots. If he wants minutes, he needs to let the game come to him. Put the ball on the floor and find open teammates. Wait for open looks. Let the ball swing around a few times, eventually he will get a good look. Give it everything on defense. Do those things and he will see increased time.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:33 pm

I think Kyky needs the game to slow down for him because he seems bewildered at times and forgets what he should be doing. I hope he has patience and keeps working at it because he can score in bunches for X. He needs to buy into the D and be willing to play decoy at times so others can score.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:53 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:04 pm
sweet67 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:44 pm
finalfourorbust wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:53 am
Besides Zack being the leading scorer and rebounder on the team and them not having anybody else healthy that plays his position I can't think of a reason.
I would be curious to see what Kyky could produce in the minutes Free gets.

I assume Kyky has been told he needs to improve defensively to earn more minutes, which I agree with. But it has to be frustrating being such a talented player watching a teammate get big minutes while scoring 16 but giving up 20.

I'd be a little upset too.
a couple things flawed with this comparison - KyKy isn't getting his minutes taken away from Zach. Frontcourt is now thin with no Stanley so unless Travis elects to go "small", depending on the matchup, more guards aren't going to get more minutes. you should ask if, maybe, he got more of Scruggs or Kunkel or Johnson's minutes, would it be different.

if you want to compare Free vs KyKy, though, here's their +/- from the box scores that actually gave that stat:

Oak, KyKy +37 Free +45
Brad +1 -11
Tol -2 +12
EKU +1 +9
TT +25 +8
UC -7 +11
OK +7 +19
SJU -1 0
Prov - -1

do with that what you please.
Sweet I don't disagree with you on some of the issues with Free. However, you said he scores 16 and gives up 20. It wasn't the Providence game because the only ones in double digits were Duke and Watson. Duke is a pg and Watson was guarded by Carter/Griffin. Perhaps it may have happened on a switch on a couple of possessions but for the most part, Free didn't guard him. Perhaps you are referring to another game. He didn't guard Garcia on Marquette so only possible game all year that this happened was Seton Hall.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”