X vs Butler Game thread 1/30/2021

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
X-lucidity

Re: X vs Butler Game thread 1/30/2021

Postby X-lucidity » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:10 pm

agree w/ 'Hops and many others, Griffin deserves a bit more PT. Carter is doing many unsung contributions, simply cannot place the ball in the basket. Hopefully law of averages sways that a bit in our direction. Agree, Free has trended lower & lower in offensive effectiveness with each passing BE game. He deserves to start, but is a liability on D. Griffin is better. My personal target would be:
Carter - 33 min
Free - 32 min
Griffin- 15 min. * Obviously to be adjusted by in-game flow, individual specific game effectiveness and potential need to go with a 4-guard at times.
Love me some Zach Freemantle. He is only a true Soph. His D will improve, but currently, no justification for him to get 36 min while Griffin nets just 4.
Also, I only noted 1 three pt shot by Nate that was ill-advised. The 2nd one, while early in shot clock, we was wide-stinking-open with no one in sight. He has earned the right to attempt that dagger. You cannot risk ruining his psyche by criticizing that one. These kids are ball players, too much thinking can sometimes sour the milk....
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:19 pm

"Too much thinking can sometimes sour the milk." That's great. I'm gonna steal it sometime.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:18 pm

So we are shut down again due to COVID..... rats. Any idea who tested positive this time, and I suppose it will be another 2 weeks at least??
Totally bummed
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:54 pm

No idea who but maybe we will get lucky and it will be a false positive
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:11 pm

Griffin has been the best big every game he has played with a possible exception early in the season. Assuming no foul trouble and he plays at the level he has thus far, he deserves 20+ minutes a game. Those minutes should come from Free and Carter based on who is struggling. Some games that is all coming out of Carter's minutes and other games it is Free losing time in the rotation.

Given the skill set of the bigs, the minutes can easily be fluid. When 1 is playing particularly well, keep him in as long as endurance and officiating allow. There simply hasn't been a reason to limit Griffin's minutes recently yet he continues to get reduced time on the court.

Tandy has had very limited minutes but I have not seen anything from him in a very long time to warrant increased minutes. He forces the action and generally struggles to get off clean shots. I could certainly see him be a big contributor next season if his struggles are mainly related to him feeling pressure to perform or get pulled. More time on the court could allow him to get a feel for the game and figure out how to get open looks. That simply isn't in the cards this year given the other available options. If Tandy wants more time on the court, he needs to look for open teammates, get after it on defense and take smart shots.

To be clear, Johnson has been incredible this season. I absolutely love what he brings to this team. Without him, X would be lucky to have 6 wins. While Lucidity might be right that Johnson was wide open on 1 of his misses, but if memory serves, he was way behind the arc while taking the shot. I'd rather see him shoot 5' behind the line than Free take a contested 3 but it was an odd take given the game circumstances.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:01 am

Agree with all off Madness points except we need to find a way to get Tandy involved or he will be gone. We will need him next year.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:51 am

madness31 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:11 pm
Griffin has been the best big every game he has played with a possible exception early in the season. Assuming no foul trouble and he plays at the level he has thus far, he deserves 20+ minutes a game. Those minutes should come from Free and Carter based on who is struggling. Some games that is all coming out of Carter's minutes and other games it is Free losing time in the rotation.

Given the skill set of the bigs, the minutes can easily be fluid. When 1 is playing particularly well, keep him in as long as endurance and officiating allow. There simply hasn't been a reason to limit Griffin's minutes recently yet he continues to get reduced time on the court.

Tandy has had very limited minutes but I have not seen anything from him in a very long time to warrant increased minutes. He forces the action and generally struggles to get off clean shots. I could certainly see him be a big contributor next season if his struggles are mainly related to him feeling pressure to perform or get pulled. More time on the court could allow him to get a feel for the game and figure out how to get open looks. That simply isn't in the cards this year given the other available options. If Tandy wants more time on the court, he needs to look for open teammates, get after it on defense and take smart shots.

To be clear, Johnson has been incredible this season. I absolutely love what he brings to this team. Without him, X would be lucky to have 6 wins. While Lucidity might be right that Johnson was wide open on 1 of his misses, but if memory serves, he was way behind the arc while taking the shot. I'd rather see him shoot 5' behind the line than Free take a contested 3 but it was an odd take given the game circumstances.
Nate went 4-6 behind the line and is now #1 in the nation (52.2%) from the three. If he takes a bad three now and then it is an aberration. When any of our fans can do what Nate does I will listen to their opinions
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:19 pm

Well stated MM....

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”