X vs Butler Game thread 1/30/2021

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Re: X vs Butler Game thread 1/30/2021

Postby muskieman » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:39 pm

X missing Jones tonight was something we must remember. I would like to see Kyky get back his shooting touch and play some D because without either he will not get minutes. 2 against Depaul with @Nova in between and then UConn makes an important need for some Ws. Need to have all hands on deck and our big men need to have better handles when they get the ball
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
NKY Muskie 96

Postby NKY Muskie 96 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:46 pm

Its awesome to see Scruggs stepping up as a senior and taking over when needed. BIG picture is a nice road win after a long layoff. Certainly some details like free throws and decision making need to be worked out.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:49 pm

I believe X held Butler to 28 in the first half so that is only 27 in the second half. I'd take that D every game. X scoring 68 with Zach only 6 points tells me that X can still score the ball most nights.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:57 pm

Thank you Kunkel, Johnson, and especially Scruggs for the win today. I'm not sure I have seen two bigs for X play worse than Freementel and Carter today. Carter (5th year) almost air balled 3 FT's today and Zack missed all of his and our interior defense was brutal. I can't imagine Griffin doing any worse this evening. Carter, Free, and Odom should not shoot 3's period especially Zack since there is no one under the basket. I'm not sure what we will do next year on the interior. Thanks Paul, best player on the court.
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:29 pm

Agreed, Freemantle should not be jacking up five 3’s in a game. It was disappointing to hear Coach Steele in the post-game show support Zach’s shot selection.

Still, let’s remember he lead X with 10 rebounds. He might have even snared a few more on the offensive end had he not been lurking outside so much.

I can recall many solid X players who made fewer contributions in their Sophomore years than Freemantle. Let’s put some things into perspective.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:30 pm

Thrilled X won. Thrilled, thrilled, thrilled. However, Butler blows. Not even just for the BE. They would blow in the MVC. Nze and Thompson would have a hard time finding minutes at X. Tandy and Griffin, whose talents are being wasted much like an AAU coach who has difficulty with personnel management, would probably be the best two players on Butler. The talent disparity is as great as me, and an unnamed co-moderator. Let’s just say he routinely parks his electric blue Hummer in Greg Christopher’s parking spot. Griffin is a much better player than the 11 minutes he gets per game. He got four today, despite our bigs going 4-12 from the field (including 5 missed treys), and 0-6 from the line. Neither could guard Nze either. Griffin is the best low post scorer, a better defender than Free (but so was Obi Harris), and best rebounder on the team. If you peel back the layers, you’ll see Free got fat with gaudy offensive stats when X went through the murderer’s row of CBI teams, save OKL, where he had his best game.

Other than that, his offensive efficiency has been pretty pedestrian and he forces a lot of shots. His defense….well, is what it is. Bluiett earned his minutes despite being a poor defender, because his offensive game was so damn good. Sorry, Free ain’t even close, and his defense is worse. I like him a lot, and would like him even more.at 18-22 minutes a game. He has become Naji lite since league play. The only bad shot is one not taken. He and Carter should each cede about ten of their minutes a game to Griffin. Steele wasted the best player on the team in 19’ when Hankins played about half the minutes than he should have, until league play. Redux with Griffin. He ain’t the best player, but believe he is the best all around post player.

I think Steele must be like Bill Walsh, who apparently scripted his first 25 plays of the game. His method worked for his teams, based on his record. Steele on the other hand……….. How else can you explain his keeping Free in when he channeled his best Naji (unfortunately on the offensive and not defensive part of his game), and despite being 0-4 from 3, chucked a 25 footer which clanked off the rim after Butler cut the lead to 8, 7 seconds into the shot clock. No worries, Steele probably told him to shoot another. Inf act, Steele even said so after the game, when he said he’s the hardest working player on the team. That’s about 19 players by my count, of players whom he has said that about. The last one was Miles, who Steele said would DEFINITLEY see minutes. A lot of AAU coaches do the same. Meanwhile, Tandy is the best pure scorer on the team, and he is driving him away. I get that he doesn’t fake playing air guitar to earn bench cheering points, a critical metric with Steele, but he gets two minutes to wow Steele or he might as well go back to the bus early. Actually, in a game (perhaps against M-Quette), he hit two threes in three minutes, and got pulled. Damn that scripted playbook of Steele. One bright spot is he has saves X about 19 cents per wash/dry load, because his uniform hasn’t needed to be washed in about 6 games.

I know I have been a Steele apologist, here in his third year. His first two NIT years notwithstanding, I still have faith. Year one wasn’t his fault, but that was where we saw the 1st glimpse of X’s erratic play becoming a staple. X is having a decent year. Not great, but decent. They’ve played two, maybe three tourney teams to date. Teams like Nova and Creighton have played twice as many, including several top 20 teams. X has played none. 10-2 is nice, and X is loaded with talent, so I expect them to hold their own in the BE. I root for Coach Steele to sharpen his coaching chops along the way, and finally develop some consistency with his third team. This from a analyst, I believe before the Providence game:

“Per our calculations, the team with the lowest consistency rating in D-1 ; THE Xavier Musketeers. A 52 win over Oak, and 22 pt win over Okl. , but also destroyed by SH, and a narrow OT win over NKU.

However, one can hope. Then, my nightmares of potentially having a Wojo clone on Victory Pkwy will finally go away.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:05 pm

Saying you want Freemantel to take bad three point shots is like saying you want Carter at the line in pressure situations. Zach might work hard at practice, but not hard on the defensive end in games. Thank goodness for Scruggs
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:20 pm

skyhops wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:05 pm
Saying you want Freemantel to take bad three point shots is like saying you want Carter at the line in pressure situations. Zach might work hard at practice, but not hard on the defensive end in games. Thank goodness for Scruggs
Freemantle is still easily a net plus, because he is a good offensive player and rebounder. On the negative side, he takes too many ill advised shots, is turnover prone, and a poor defender. I don't think anyone expected him to be this good offensively this soon however, though he is coming back to earth.

I still like him a lot as a 20 minute a game guy though. However, his efficiency goes down when his usage quotient goes up. Players like him, I fear, won't improve much when it comes to bball IQ (not that his is low, but inconsistent) under Steele, as evidenced by the stunningly bad decision making of Goodin and Marshall over the last two years, and Carter this one with his threes, since Steele was/is their biggest apologist. His regression is largely due to Steele's unwillingness to rein him in. He is still a very solid player, but isn't Zion Willaimson, though Steele seemingly disagrees.
XavierBob

Postby XavierBob » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:27 pm

You know we all want Tandy to succeed, but, I’m sorry right now I don’t know how you give him much run. He doesn’t protect or value the ball, plays little to no defense. Travis has to try to win games not stroke egos. The Muskies are getting more out of Kunkel and I’m surprised that I just typed that. Now on the Griffin front I’m with you he rebounds plays good D and is deserving of more time. Again I don’t think a player’s ego (Fremantle), needs a boost either. Just my two cents.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:18 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:30 pm
Thrilled X won. Thrilled, thrilled, thrilled. However, Butler blows. Not even just for the BE. They would blow in the MVC. Nze and Thompson would have a hard time finding minutes at X. Tandy and Griffin, whose talents are being wasted much like an AAU coach who has difficulty with personnel management, would probably be the best two players on Butler. The talent disparity is as great as me, and an unnamed co-moderator. Let’s just say he routinely parks his electric blue Hummer in Greg Christopher’s parking spot. Griffin is a much better player than the 11 minutes he gets per game. He got four today, despite our bigs going 4-12 from the field (including 5 missed treys), and 0-6 from the line. Neither could guard Nze either. Griffin is the best low post scorer, a better defender than Free (but so was Obi Harris), and best rebounder on the team. If you peel back the layers, you’ll see Free got fat with gaudy offensive stats when X went through the murderer’s row of CBI teams, save OKL, where he had his best game.

Other than that, his offensive efficiency has been pretty pedestrian and he forces a lot of shots. His defense….well, is what it is. Bluiett earned his minutes despite being a poor defender, because his offensive game was so damn good. Sorry, Free ain’t even close, and his defense is worse. I like him a lot, and would like him even more.at 18-22 minutes a game. He has become Naji lite since league play. The only bad shot is one not taken. He and Carter should each cede about ten of their minutes a game to Griffin. Steele wasted the best player on the team in 19’ when Hankins played about half the minutes than he should have, until league play. Redux with Griffin. He ain’t the best player, but believe he is the best all around post player.

I think Steele must be like Bill Walsh, who apparently scripted his first 25 plays of the game. His method worked for his teams, based on his record. Steele on the other hand……….. How else can you explain his keeping Free in when he channeled his best Naji (unfortunately on the offensive and not defensive part of his game), and despite being 0-4 from 3, chucked a 25 footer which clanked off the rim after Butler cut the lead to 8, 7 seconds into the shot clock. No worries, Steele probably told him to shoot another. Inf act, Steele even said so after the game, when he said he’s the hardest working player on the team. That’s about 19 players by my count, of players whom he has said that about. The last one was Miles, who Steele said would DEFINITLEY see minutes. A lot of AAU coaches do the same. Meanwhile, Tandy is the best pure scorer on the team, and he is driving him away. I get that he doesn’t fake playing air guitar to earn bench cheering points, a critical metric with Steele, but he gets two minutes to wow Steele or he might as well go back to the bus early. Actually, in a game (perhaps against M-Quette), he hit two threes in three minutes, and got pulled. Damn that scripted playbook of Steele. One bright spot is he has saves X about 19 cents per wash/dry load, because his uniform hasn’t needed to be washed in about 6 games.

I know I have been a Steele apologist, here in his third year. His first two NIT years notwithstanding, I still have faith. Year one wasn’t his fault, but that was where we saw the 1st glimpse of X’s erratic play becoming a staple. X is having a decent year. Not great, but decent. They’ve played two, maybe three tourney teams to date. Teams like Nova and Creighton have played twice as many, including several top 20 teams. X has played none. 10-2 is nice, and X is loaded with talent, so I expect them to hold their own in the BE. I root for Coach Steele to sharpen his coaching chops along the way, and finally develop some consistency with his third team. This from a analyst, I believe before the Providence game:

“Per our calculations, the team with the lowest consistency rating in D-1 ; THE Xavier Musketeers. A 52 win over Oak, and 22 pt win over Okl. , but also destroyed by SH, and a narrow OT win over NKU.

However, one can hope. Then, my nightmares of potentially having a Wojo clone on Victory Pkwy will finally go away.
Clinical example of Schizophrenia when you ignore your mom telling you to take your meds. You are in our prayers

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”