So now that games are cancelled

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

So now that games are cancelled

Postby muskieman » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:51 pm

The next two vs Depaul and Nova have been canceled. No makeup dates have been announced at this time. so where does the season go from here???
There were rumors that X might play with a reduced squad but that appears to be just a rumor. ^ games postponed and six more to go before the end of the month. Right now there are games on the 11th, 13th, 16th, 21st, 24th, 27th. Where can you fit in added games in Feb. March 2nd and 6th are the final games. The Big East Tournament is currently scheduled for March 10-13. This could change due to COVID-19. Selection Sunday — March 14 with First Four — Thursday, March 18
First round — Friday, March 19, and Saturday, March 20
Second round — Sunday, March 21, and Monday, March 22
Sweet 16 — Saturday, March 27, and Sunday, March 28
Elite Eight — Monday, March 29, and Tuesday, March 30
Final Four — Saturday, April 3

WHAT WILL THEY DO?
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Jesseandrippers

Re: So now that games are cancelled

Postby Jesseandrippers » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:04 am

muskieman wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:51 pm
The next two vs Depaul and Nova have been canceled. No makeup dates have been announced at this time. so where does the season go from here???
There were rumors that X might play with a reduced squad but that appears to be just a rumor. ^ games postponed and six more to go before the end of the month. Right now there are games on the 11th, 13th, 16th, 21st, 24th, 27th. Where can you fit in added games in Feb. March 2nd and 6th are the final games. The Big East Tournament is currently scheduled for March 10-13. This could change due to COVID-19. Selection Sunday — March 14 with First Four — Thursday, March 18

WHAT WILL THEY DO?
Step 1: stop using public drinking fountains
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:14 am

I don’t see any of the missed games being made up and I don’t see the conference tournaments going on as usual. I think that the best we might see is a 4 team, 2 game, playoff situation. Bring in the top 4 regular season squads for a double header on Saturday and a championship game on Sunday. Play them all at one location (doesn’t have to be MSG) where the teams can be isolated for a weekend.
#WHYNOTX?
tacitus

Postby tacitus » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:22 pm

Awful lot of money at stake, perhaps even more since most/all will be watching on TV, and players (especially draft hopefuls) want to play. There will be some sort of post season this year. They cannot afford canceling two years in a row...

One solution would be to extend the regular season, and give a wider time frame for both conference tournaments and the NCAA tourney.

But I suspect that many conferences will cancel their tourneys and give the auto bid to the regular season champion, and the NCAA will run a 32- or 16 team tourney to mitigate risks, jacking up the price for commercials. They will probably also have a list of "first ten out" or something in case a team that gets a bid has to cancel a game.

I do not think that a 32-team bracket will be filled with conference champions. It seems like the ethical thing to do. But it would serious diminish the level of competition and the legitimacy of the champion.

Something else to consider: Coaches that already have good resumes at this point actually have a strong incentive not to make up games. In a normal season, the bracket is still wide upon at this point. A lot could happen. The top four teams, for instance, have nowhere to move but down. So there will also be some conflicts of interest between a team like Xavier and a team like Villanova. A chance to beat Villanova is a chance to put us in a 32-team bracket. But the risk of losing to us and losing a 1 seed in the process may urge Jay Wright to not want to make up the game in Cintas or even the game in Philly.

Too many variables to predict what is going to happen going forward... there will be many contingency plans.
Let's March!
JTG

Postby JTG » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:03 pm

kyzrex wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:14 am
I don’t see any of the missed games being made up and I don’t see the conference tournaments going on as usual. I think that the best we might see is a 4 team, 2 game, playoff situation. Bring in the top 4 regular season squads for a double header on Saturday and a championship game on Sunday. Play them all at one location (doesn’t have to be MSG) where the teams can be isolated for a weekend.
What would the point of a 4 team playoff ? The object of conference tournaments is to get extra teams into the NCAAs. Having the BE top 4 playoff would be counter productive in my opinion. Just skip a playoff and make up some missed games league wide.
JTG

Postby JTG » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:09 pm

I can just hear the talking heads on selection Sunday now ? "Obnoxious Dick Vitale voice" " How can you leave out 8-14 UK, 9-12 Duke and 10-14 IU, and take 14-5 Xavier ?
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:58 pm

You forgot about "10-11 Michigan State"
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:48 pm

JTG wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:03 pm
kyzrex wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:14 am
What would the point of a 4 team playoff ? The object of conference tournaments is to get extra teams into the NCAAs. Having the BE top 4 playoff would be counter productive in my opinion. Just skip a playoff and make up some missed games league wide.
Silly me, I always figured the object of having a conference tournament was to crown a champion? (The real purpose is to make extra MONEY for the conference.)

Other than in very rare instances I don’t see how it gets EXTRA high major teams into the NCAA tourney. It might have an effect on exactly which teams might get in from the conference, but it doesn’t often really lead to EXTRA high major teams. Oh maybe once in a while it will mean 1 extra BE school, but more often than not it means 1 extra lower conference team gets in and a bubble team from a conference like the BE is left out.

My thought was that the less travel the teams have, the better off they are as far as avoiding a COVID situation that might keep teams from competing in the NCAA tourney. So bring the top 4 BE schools, who are basically locks for the tourney, to Indy the weekend before the NCAA tourney. Let them play at a single location there, and then let them stay for the week. That way they don’t have to travel back and forth, and they can get used to the courts there with more time to practice in the arenas they will playing in the following weekend. (Don’t know if people have heard, but the Big 10 just moved their conference tourney from Chicago to Indy.)
#WHYNOTX?
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:27 pm

muskieman wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:51 pm

WHAT WILL THEY DO?
Playing with reduced squad is better than not playing at all. It worked alright for UC last night. Is the BE more stringent with their COVID protocols than other leagues? It's really frustrating.This team has been fun to watch. Hopefully things get better over the next month.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:32 pm

The answer to the above questions is, YES. Each conference sets their own rules. If X had been in the Big 12 or some of the other conferences, they would have played many of the games, while INDIVIDUALS sat out.
#WHYNOTX?

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”