Daniel Ramsey

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
skyhops
Posts: 2831
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Daniel Ramsey

Postby skyhops » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:34 am

Johnson did not play well offensively and defensively. Way to minutes to struggle shooting, not rebound, and played poor defense.
longliveskip
Posts: 1194
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Daniel Ramsey

Postby longliveskip » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:19 am

skyhops wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:34 am
Johnson did not play well offensively and defensively. Way to minutes to struggle shooting, not rebound, and played poor defense.
i will respectfully disagree. he didn't "shoot" well. that doesn't always equate to not "playing" well. he moved well and all but one of his 3-pointers (his step back one) were all good looks. he guarded just fine. some guys made some tough shots against him. he was active, communicating, switching correctly, etc. you don't have a poor defensive game and be second on the team in +/- at 15, especially when you played 35+ minutes. one turnover, 2 rebounds. the fact he shot so poorly yet his team was +15 when he was on the floor tells me how well he did play defensively. the other 4 guys didn't all just magically cover up for Johnson's defensive shortcomings because that wasn't what happened. he didn't shoot well but was just fine in other areas of the game.
X-lucidity
Posts: 1051
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Daniel Ramsey

Postby X-lucidity » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:33 am

agree with 'Skip. Nate was not the primary cause of our disconcerting play yesterday. He took a few 3 pointers and missed them. As did most of the team, again! But he then adjusted in the 2nd half and started driving the basket and penetrating for a couple mid-range shots, that he fortunately hit. That to me is smart ball, your cold from the arc so adjust your game. His D was decent and he grabbed a few rebounds, crucial from a guard.
Hey, we nitpick, and there is a ton to critique. That said, a lot of our recent issues could be greatly assisted if Scruggs, Kunkel and Nate got back to hitting 37% or so from deep.
skyhops
Posts: 2831
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Daniel Ramsey

Postby skyhops » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:14 pm

36 minutes Johnson played and scored 4 points 2 boards 0 assists and gave up at least 16 points does not merit those minutes. Not nitpicking, that’s poor play. Scruggs didn’t play well either but he is out Pg and plays better D. Tandy should take Kunkel’s mins but we all know that.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 23483
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Daniel Ramsey

Postby muskieman » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:27 pm

skyhops wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:14 pm
36 minutes Johnson played and scored 4 points 2 boards 0 assists and gave up at least 16 points does not merit those minutes. Not nitpicking, that’s poor play. Scruggs didn’t play well either but he is out Pg and plays better D. Tandy should take Kunkel’s mins but we all know that.
Yeah because if he plays more he can jack up more threes and then skyhops can complain that Kunkelisn't getting more time.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
X-lucidity
Posts: 1051
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Daniel Ramsey

Postby X-lucidity » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:39 pm

'Hops. I get your point. So I can be swayed a bit more towards your side. Nate J. certainly did not merit 36 min last eve. But he did adjust his game 2nd half, took less 3's and tried to get in for a few closer looks. We have many poor defenders, to single Nate out for having give up "16" as you say is a bit harsh. Some of those Jair & Harris hit were contested shots and you tip your hat. That said, Tandy just does not look the part. He certainly is not helping us when trying to run the point. He did hit a tough "3". But then he felt it earned him an even tougher looking "3" a minute later and missed badly. As MM said, he was 1-3. The 3rd was a wide open look that actually was a good shot within flow of offense, he just missed it. But then he was not the only one missing. He just looks lost out there often and and not moving instinctively on either end of the floor. Now much of that can be lost confidence due to the way Steels has clipped his wings, who knows. Plus likely our staff has done a less than stellar job developing him from yr 1 to yr 2. Maybe some of that fault is his, possibly the talent expectation was overstated, no matter, he just has not been passing the "eye" test for me. I could be wrong, of course, just a fan speculating. But I will agree with you that Nate has not been playing as well as earlier in the year either. OK, I am going to stop looking back and get fired up for the stretch run. We are what we are at this stage. A team with flaws. But most teams have flaws and we do have a few positives to work with. Bottom line, we shall have to hope that A). We play better and more physical D down the stretch and box out damnit. & B) that we have our key shooters emerge from their collective slump.
* Shooting the ball well can cure a ton of woes...
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 23483
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Daniel Ramsey

Postby muskieman » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:15 pm

X-lucidity wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:39 pm
'Hops. I get your point. So I can be swayed a bit more towards your side. Nate J. certainly did not merit 36 min last eve. But he did adjust his game 2nd half, took less 3's and tried to get in for a few closer looks. We have many poor defenders, to single Nate out for having give up "16" as you say is a bit harsh. Some of those Jair & Harris hit were contested shots and you tip your hat. That said, Tandy just does not look the part. He certainly is not helping us when trying to run the point. He did hit a tough "3". But then he felt it earned him an even tougher looking "3" a minute later and missed badly. As MM said, he was 1-3. The 3rd was a wide open look that actually was a good shot within flow of offense, he just missed it. But then he was not the only one missing. He just looks lost out there often and and not moving instinctively on either end of the floor. Now much of that can be lost confidence due to the way Steels has clipped his wings, who knows. Plus likely our staff has done a less than stellar job developing him from yr 1 to yr 2. Maybe some of that fault is his, possibly the talent expectation was overstated, no matter, he just has not been passing the "eye" test for me. I could be wrong, of course, just a fan speculating. But I will agree with you that Nate has not been playing as well as earlier in the year either. OK, I am going to stop looking back and get fired up for the stretch run. We are what we are at this stage. A team with flaws. But most teams have flaws and we do have a few positives to work with. Bottom line, we shall have to hope that A). We play better and more physical D down the stretch and box out damnit. & B) that we have our key shooters emerge from their collective slump.
* Shooting the ball well can cure a ton of woes...
as a coach once said: Making baskets cures many ills. I think one of the TV announcers, who played basketball, said: That the lack of practice and games are the reason why we are seeing more inconsistent plays, not just from X. When X was playing and practicing at the beginning of the season they did a good job on the floor, much more consistency. In 52 days since the beginning of the year X has played 6 games. Not an excuse just a reason. For example, we all get on Freemantle for some of his shots and his D but look at the double-doubles he has had and where would X be without them
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops
Posts: 2831
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Daniel Ramsey

Postby skyhops » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:27 pm

Johnson is talented and I like seeing him not always settle for jump shots. Jones is effective because he is more of a threat to drive the ball same with Odom. Hopefully, Johnson can do the same.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 23483
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Daniel Ramsey

Postby muskieman » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:38 pm

skyhops wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:27 pm
Johnson is talented and I like seeing him not always settle for jump shots. Jones is effective because he is more of a threat to drive the ball same with Odom. Hopefully, Johnson can do the same.
Seemed like last night he would step back and his shot was not the same as when he steps into the shot. As for the topic here I hope we get to see him with more minutes and with Griff back, fingers crossed, they could make a good pair to interact with Free and Carter. Yesterday he was the spark for X when he came in but I was worried about how he is feeling today with those knees. He could be a difference-maker in the future, if he has the same success as he had against Butler.

note the play by play guy was talking about X playing 10 guys
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 5742
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Daniel Ramsey

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:28 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:07 am
skyhops wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:36 am
Probably the same reason Tandy didn’t play the second half in favor of Kunkel and Johnson.
doesn't really apply to Kunkel because he only played 7 minutes and as i said on the other thread, Nate was still a +15 in 35+ minutes while Tandy was a net zero in 7 minutes. but i do believe that Tandy's minutes will keep creeping up in the next few games, as long as he takes care of the ball and doesn't jack unnecessary 3's.

Nate will find his stroke again. i think Kunkel will as well so Tandy better pick it up at practice if he wants to see the floor more.
Ya mean, like.....Free does, while playing the worst D on the team? If Carter takes another shot outside of 18 inches from the rim, Coach Steele will probably......do nothing.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests