UConn game thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
X-lucidity

Re: UConn game thread

Postby X-lucidity » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:39 am

Nice post Jesse. Succinctly nailed all the key takeaways. I hope you are correct about the rust factor...
Michigan Musketeer

Postby Michigan Musketeer » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:09 am

Need to getJohnson more shots only 7 from 3 & 2 late. Jones & Wilcher more minutes. Poor defense & FT shooting leads to a lot of L’s.. St John’s will be highly motivated since they have never beat X in BE play.
whopper

Postby whopper » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:46 am

looking at St John X box of Jan 6 and some amazing numbers
Zach 5 and 10. Carter 11 and 16(5-10 FT though ). Griffen 7p 8 Reb, kyky and kunkel 2 each, Scruggs 10, Odom 11, Nate J 2 Colby J 16..It shows how much can change within a month. Griffen out yesterday hurt(not as much as Bouknight of course but Cole would not have gotten as many shotes) as no one to spell Carter (though Miles looked OK and would be nice to have Stanley who had 2 pt and 4 Reb against St John before ACL at 8 min)

It just goes to show the randomness of basketball these days. I grew up where you could pencil each starter for 30 min and a relatively narrow band of points and rebound, now 30 min is a lot and stars can have next to nothing and bench players can make an impact.

no analysis but isn't that a strange box score only 6 weeks ago?
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:34 pm

Carter had a good game because St John does not have many bigs. Carter has been a non factor last 4/5 games and is complete liability on the offensive end. Miles has to be able to get us 0 points and 2 boards. We are soft inside and it is beginning to show.
xavier71

Postby xavier71 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:07 pm

I don't post very often, but, I'd like to make a few comments about the UConn game.

1. We (Xavier) are a terrible defensive team. UConn came into the game 285th in scoring. The announcers said they like to keep their games in the 60's. They use almost 30 seconds on each possession and they still scored 80. The way to beat X is to make them guard for most of the shot clock and they will break down. TS said at the beginning of the season they were going to hang their hat on defense, but it's not happening. Note: Tandy doesn't play because of poor defense.

2. Freemantle - Never thought I would say someone who went 30/15 had an average game. His defense was bad. Of the 8 two point shots he missed probably six were from point blank range and why is he taking seven 3's with most being early in the shot clock?

3. Poor in-game coaching - How does Zach F. get 26 shots and the best shooter on the team takes 8 of which 5 or 6 were in the first half. How do you go on a 9 - 0 run to tie the score, causing UConn to call time out and then sub, Soon after they go on a 7 or 8 point run while we have 3 freshman on the court at the same time.

Just wanted to get a few things off my chest. Hope the play well against St. John.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:32 pm

You should post more often. 100% correct

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”