Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Re: UConn game thread

Postby muskieman » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:58 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:41 pm
muskieman wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:27 pm
41 bench points for UConn today, X had 13. Watching UConn this season I feared their talent despite their losses they looked tough in most of their games, I watched. Their three-point star today was a transfer and scored 40 points for Howard in one game so he can score but it looks like they are 9 deep
Paul had an off game scoring but had an outstanding 12 assists and wish he had had one more to Nate instead of his last three-point when X was down 4.

I am sure X might have had a little less stamina than UConn when Paul looked gassed a couple of times in the game.
Oh Lord, I admire your ability to contort logic. However, you pulled the wrong excuse out of the bag. Remember when X squeaked by bottom feeders the first week of play? The excuse of too many games consecutively was worn out. Now that they've played two games in thirty days, it's because they're gassed? I think the more plausible reason is they changed the flavor of Gatorade from lime to orange. The obvious reality is much harder to swallow.
It is called stamina, game condition, and you sound like a person that got drunk early today. X looked slower and at times were settling for jump shots instead of driving the ball. When X tied the game instead of being juiced they look like it took it all out of them and then UConn came down 3 times and scored 9 points twice on a "and 1" and once on a three point play and then scored a three in one of the next two times down the court which blew open the game. Same when X pulled with 4 points toward the end of the game. X came down with a chance to cut it to two or one point and Paul jacked up a three with no one under the basket instead of waiting to maybe give up the ball to Kunkel or Nate, this after Nate had just been the guy to bring X to 4 points. Nate was 4-7 Paul was 1-5 even you are smart enough to grasp that fact.. Paul did have an outstanding game with 12 assists but he could have been more with 13 or 14 assists at that time.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:07 pm

muskieman wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:58 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:41 pm
muskieman wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:27 pm
41 bench points for UConn today, X had 13. Watching UConn this season I feared their talent despite their losses they looked tough in most of their games, I watched. Their three-point star today was a transfer and scored 40 points for Howard in one game so he can score but it looks like they are 9 deep
Paul had an off game scoring but had an outstanding 12 assists and wish he had had one more to Nate instead of his last three-point when X was down 4.

I am sure X might have had a little less stamina than UConn when Paul looked gassed a couple of times in the game.
Oh Lord, I admire your ability to contort logic. However, you pulled the wrong excuse out of the bag. Remember when X squeaked by bottom feeders the first week of play? The excuse of too many games consecutively was worn out. Now that they've played two games in thirty days, it's because they're gassed? I think the more plausible reason is they changed the flavor of Gatorade from lime to orange. The obvious reality is much harder to swallow.
It is called stamina, game condition, and you sound like a person that got drunk early today. X looked slower and at times were settling for jump shots instead of driving the ball. When X tied the game instead of being juiced they look like it took it all out of them and then UConn came down 3 times and scored 9 points twice on a "and 1" and once on a three point play and then scored a three in one of the next two times down the court which blew open the game. Same when X pulled with 4 points toward the end of the game. X came down with a chance to cut it to two or one point and Paul jacked up a three with no one under the basket instead of waiting to maybe give up the ball to Kunkel or Nate, this after Nate had just been the guy to bring X to 4 points. Nate was 4-7 Paul was 1-5 even you are smart enough to grasp that fact.. Paul did have an outstanding game with 12 assists but he could have been more with 13 or 14 assists at that time.
What's your opinion of Steele's in game strategic management? What do you think about the metric of X being the most inconsistent team in CBB 2/3 thru the year? BTW, I blame the loss on Tandy.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:11 pm

Is it just the gin or have you had some cannabis today.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:26 pm

muskieman wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:11 pm
Why all the references to illegal substances? AH isn't a smoker, nor much of a drinker, and limit my consumption to diet coke to about one 12 ounce can a day. At least this game, you didn't blame it on the refs, global warming, or the fact that Tandy stepped on a crack jeopardizing his mother breaking her back. X has had a great near two decade run. I thought they would sustain the trajectory with even a better crop of recruits, and they still may. However, as a Mod, I must be frank. I respectfully feel that Steele, who seems like a terribly nice guy, is not a very good coach. I hope he grows into it, but am less optimistic than believing you'd leave more than a 3% tip at the Olive Garden. I root for both of the latter to improve, posthaste.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:53 pm

Had to watch game delay and Steele’s game management and substitution was miserable again. Up nine in first have completely change lineup with freshman and poor shooters. We obviously have not heard the term “hand down man down” because our perimeter defense was awful. I haven’t seen Scruggs get schooled by a player in a while. Maybe the game plan to run a high screen and then pass to Freemantle for 24 shots won’t work
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:12 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:26 pm
muskieman wrote:
Why all the references to illegal substances? AH isn't a smoker, nor much of a drinker, and limit my consumption to diet coke to about one 12 ounce can a day. At least this game, you didn't blame it on the refs, global warming, or the fact that Tandy stepped on a crack jeopardizing his mother breaking her back. X has had a great near two decade run. I thought they would sustain the trajectory with even a better crop of recruits, and they still may. However, as a Mod, I must be frank. I respectfully feel that Steele, who seems like a terribly nice guy, is not a very good coach. I hope he grows into it, but am less optimistic than believing you'd leave more than a 3% tip at the Olive Garden. I root for both of the latter to improve, posthaste.
the fact you are not a mod means you are also not frank so your drinking before you get out of your onesies is not out of the question. As for tips, you think because you are a Scrooge that everyone is like you. My guess is you consider the Olive garden your top-tier restaurant that will still let you in their doors. I suggest you educate your palate a little more than settling for pablum

As for Steele, I agree he makes mistakes but I guess he is in good company this year with your idols in the Coach Ks who are really screwing up their seasons with top tier recruits. BTW a decade is ten years
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:27 pm

At least I don’t have to hear that Carter does the little things anymore. He could be the worst offensive big in BE history good thing he doesn’t have a backup and please don’t tell me that Wilcher is a four another terrible Steele decision
AirJordan

Postby AirJordan » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:21 pm

muskieman wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:12 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:26 pm
muskieman wrote:
the fact you are not a mod means you are also not frank so your drinking before you get out of your onesies is not out of the question. As for tips, you think because you are a Scrooge that everyone is like you. My guess is you consider the Olive garden your top-tier restaurant that will still let you in their doors. I suggest you educate your palate a little more than settling for pablum

As for Steele, I agree he makes mistakes but I guess he is in good company this year with your idols in the Coach Ks who are really screwing up their seasons with top tier recruits. BTW a decade is ten years
Unfortunately, this board seems to be going the way of Xavier Hoops. If you disagree with or don't like what another poster says, insult him or her. How about if you don't like something AH posts, you logically present your case. Then, AH can respond with facts and logic and hopefully, not feel an overwelming need to return the insult.

I agree with AH only half the time but I always read what he says. And, the same is true of your posts Muskieman.

Scruggzy's scoring was off today but he didn't play that badly. His assist totals were strong. He was garnering lots of attention from the UCONN defenders and he had several nice assists when he took the ball deep and passed back out. That was the type of play we saw zero times last year. Odom isn't a strong shooter but that is the type pf play he could have made with more minutes. Scruggs should have received more scoring help from Kunkel, Wilcher and jones. Clearly, Tandy remains deep in the dog house. I'm starting to accept that he will not be here next season.

We really need a guy who can score consistently down low. Carter is not that guy. I was hoping for more consistency from him this, his senior season. While he hustles and occasionally makes a really good play, most of the time he is average. Free, as others have noted, is a "4". We need a "5" who can score.

I'll argue that playing twice in thirty days, while it seems like the team should be well rested, is actually a detriment. Remember, it wasn't just the games that were eliminated. Practice time suffered as well. So, I think it is quite possible Scruggs and others were gassed. Clearly, they weren't sharp after that initial start. I don't understand Steele's rotations but I also think, for the player's sake, there needs to be some predictability around playing time and at what point particular players enter the game. I think when players know their role, they play better. But, I don't think the rotation had anything to do with the cooling down of our early game hot shooting. We reverted to the mean, a bit, and our defense and free throw shooting just isn't that good. It wasn't Steele's rotation that caused our play to decline.

I'll say one more thing that is subjective at best. When I watch Steele during the game and time-outs, I don't get the sense that he is confident and under control. Maybe that's just me. I hope so anyway. Because when X falls behind after initially running out to a big lead, we want the players to be confident, in control and not stating to panic.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:49 pm

AH, and I have been going at each other for years and I am sure both of us have thick hides and can take a punch. Had you been reading for a while you would see we both present opinions and facts. Today was just a frustrating day and both of us went off on the other. I hold no malice toward AH or anyone here, including you.

As for your points, I said that it was "game condition" that caused some of the players, mostly Paul to look gassed and as you so aptly pointed out the lack of practice along with the isolation instead of team workouts might be the cause. At times today, the team looked a step slow to the ball and a couple of breakouts found easy layups for UConn. I also agree that the need for a true five would be nice and I thought that TJ going against Sanogo and Whaley might have changed the game today.

One of the things we needed today was more than one guy taking most of the shots. We needed Colby to be the Colby of the first part of the season, we need Odom to be the point guard we expected him to be, we need more than two guys playing inside. The last point Griff would have helped a lot because he has the lbs to mix it up inside and a Ramsey that cannot stay healthy to see the floor. Miles today showed that he needs more work and well we really could have used Ben. The team is what it is and I am sure watching other teams play this will not be the only game we are disappointed. Now I am happy to see you are so concerned about this board but we have a lot of characters here and that is what makes it a board that you can visit knowing that until you get to be an old-timer you will not get blown out by another poster, I can promise that. Some of us are obstinate and some are compliant but all of us are X fans, even if you are anti-homer
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:43 pm

Quick read on game:
- Scruggs played poorly, sucks his team couldn't pick him up. We need to not live and die by Scruggs.
- Steele coached poorly, again
- We cant defend, at all
- We are a poor rebounding team and showed it

However, remember we had a huge break and haven't played many games the past 2 months. Lets call this a retune-up game and move forward.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”